1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MachOne with a Kuhner stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I think I'm going to call it the MaKuhner. Spelling is undecided: MachKuhner...

As you can see, the stock is still in the bondo stage. Shortened the lop by 1.5 inches to bring it in to where I can really pivot and don't have to reach so darn far. Total lop is 12-5/8". That's my number.

Weight is going to be added next to get the balance point off the near side of the fore end wood, closer to the trigger guard. Old gun's balance is right on the end of the trigger guard for easy swinging. That's where I want this one to be too.

Don't know if I'll sweep the grip back some like on an AR15. Might not have to and I like the concept of having it vertical for an easy tug into the shoulder.

Got used to the rib over a Holosight very quickly. Moves so naturally when I get the balance more to my liking it should be all good, as Mike would say. A grip cap of a racoon's face will top it off.

Joe

2. mt

mt Member

i didn't realize how much heavier bondo is compared to most wood......might alter your balance point when you translate to a full wood stock.

3. joe kuhn

Really. I thought it was lighter. We'll have to see about more balancing when it gets moved to wood. Should be plenty of wood to drill holes in from the butt end and fill with lead. Whatever it takes.

4. mt

mt Member

Joe, the reason i mentioned that weight difference is that we experienced it first hand while getting fitted at Wenigs. They build up a stock with a form of bondo that is fast setting....by the end of the process it was very heavy for my wife to hold. when they copied the form into a wood stock it was much lighter. just thought i'd give you a heads up.

i bet you're right, you can always alter the weight by adding or deleting weight at the end.

good luck, i give you a lot of credit.

5. joe kuhn

Thanks mt. That's good to know.

I'm learning to trust this gun. Eyes on and hit it. It's getting better.

6. joe kuhn

Here's the latest. Fits great. Moves right to the target. Second time out I broke a couple of straights.

I think the piece of wood Gordy sold me for this is going to be too small. It's quite a paddle.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Joe - what does it matter? You don't register targets, the few you have indicate that you need a bit of practice, and so why in the heck are you screwing up a really nice gun??

8. joe kuhn

The ATA and registered targets aren't everything to everybody. I'm a club shooter and admit it although I'd like to get away from the family more often. It just doesn't fit with my family situation right now. In terms of screwing up a gun, well, I guess your opinion and mine differ there too. So be it.

I'd rather have the stock conform to me rather than the other way around.

Why not try something different?

The stock was an old junker Dennis used in my fitting. Regular stock is still intact in case I ever resell.

9. joe kuhn

I'd rather my kids remember me as someone who took them to the skate park and the forest preserve for walks rather than a dad who was away shooting registered targets all weekend.

Chances are, when you do shoot well, you won't want to change your gun much. So I put my design thumb print on my gun early. If I ever go anywhere it'll be with a gun I have some work into.

I guess I think you've asked some valid questions and deserve some detail in an answer.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You have hurt me deeply. How can you take one of the best guns ever made with the nicest wood and butcher it? There should be a law for gun abuse. Have you no shame? Fred, Mach One #83.

11. joe kuhn

Fred, The original stock is still as it was and will be reinstalled if I ever sell this gun, but don't count on it. What you see here is from an old stock Dennis used in my fitting. Next step is for Dennis and Tracy to transfer this design to new wood.

Neil posted a pic of the Ljutic Selka. This is close but the Selka has a much longer LOP and the pistol grip is vertical. I like the grip swept back some because with a short length of pull at 12-5/8 inches it relieves the pressure on my fingers. The short LOP is for nice tight pivots to the target.

This gun fits. No shrugging of the shoulders or lowering of the head. It's all tight and right on. Every aspect except the back side of that pistol grip. I'm considering thickening it there. When I mount it, some space opens up between the back of the grip and my hand.

This gun moves to the target so nicely. Wow. You whack a target and just grin.

Thanks Tom.

Joe

12. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

Just got back from the Grand so today was the first time to see the model stock. As you and I talked many months ago I certainly didn't follow traditional lines and ideas when the gun was originally designed and you bring again a different twist to the game. Make what you want and when you are ready, send it back for the wood to be made. Shoot well and shoot often. Take a friend to the range the sport needs more shooters.

Dennis DeVault

13. joe kuhn

Thanks guys. I've discovered just how nice bondo is when you make molds from cardboard and fill in with some volume. The first time I lined the mold with some plastic from one of my kids' school binders - one of those seperators with the tab on the side. Made quite a nice surface for the hip to toe fill-in.

Just tonight I added some to the palm swell with a mold that looked like an upside down cone. Didn't use the plastic liner so I have a thin layer of paper to take off with a file. Will take Toms advice and take some off with the rasp to fine tune the fit.

I've added some weight to the back of the stock so the balance is right on the opener button. With the short LOP my fore end hand is an inch from the end of the wood which I really like.

Almost there. I'm going to shoot it until it gets cold. Then send it in for conversion to wood. I'm concerned Gordy's piece of wood is going to be too small.

As always, Dennis and Tom, I appreciate the support.

Joe

14. joe kuhn

Pistol grip is just right now. Thanks for the place to shoot, Tom.

Joe

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It look's like the old Ljutic Spacegun with a chunk of Bondo hanging off the end. What does that do anyway. conform to the shape of your belly? I'm serious, just wondering.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Joe, I think that over time, the recoil will kill you. If this works at all then all the unsingle-straightline-recoil theories must be thrown out the window. I think they should be anyway for other reasons, but yours will be strong, strong evidence. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Neil

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, at least now, no one's telling you you'll never break a 25 straight with it like they did with your first one! Hap

18. joe kuhn

The bondo comes down that far so there's something to attach the butt pad to and keep me from having to raise my shoulder and lower my head to make the gun fit. I'm not blessed with a short neck, so this is how I've solved the problem.

Recoil was a problem to the face early on in my fitting, when the stock was more conventional, but Dennis fixed that for good by changing the pitch a degree or two. Hasn't been a problem since, to the face or the shoulder. My gun is heavier than Tom's, that's for sure, so there's the easy explanation for the lack of recoil to the shoulder. I'm surprised Tom didn't notice just how much heavier it is when he shot it. Balance is further back than normal so the weight gets distributed nicely between the hands.

The more I work with bondo the more I like it. If you spill and it dries up on your gun, you just add water and it goes right back into solution (cleans up easily).

Hi EE. I thought I was going to need a higher rib on this, but Dennis fit me in Ohio and I haven't changed that aspect of the stock one bit. With the front of the rib all the way up it shoots about 65/35.

Hap. Yeah, I hear you.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

Looking at the butt stock, I see you added a bit more to the "pistol grip" making look a bit more conventional. The added benefit here is that when its resting in our oak rack it wont look like a "johnson", as IT DID.

Jay

20. joe kuhn

Yeah right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.