1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MachKuhner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Got my Comcast problems worked out...

Anyway, I shot this well enough to win HOA Runner Up in our club's Fall Wobble League. Will probably add more bondo to the bottom edge and then ship to Dennis for conversion to wood.

Joe

2. mt

mt Member

please show us a photo of the gun....i didn't see the final result.

3. mt

mt Member

wow, that looks great. congratulations

4. joe kuhn

Thanks mt. I've had nothin but fun putting it together. During league I tried to keep the changes to a minimum. With league over and the cold about here I'm trying to finish it up as I usually take the Winter off, which is perfect for getting it finished.

Trigger hits my finger on the far side of that last joint, but not too far towards the end so as to feel like I'm hanging on by my finger nails. Palm swell is perfect. LOP is very short, but that's what I like for tight pivots to the target. It also gives me a better reach towards the end of the fore end with my other arm.

Added back that piece above the butt pad for looks and some extra weight. I've got 3 pieces of lead in it to get the balance point on the button opener. That's what feels right to me. If the balance point is any more towards the barrel end and I find myself leaning back, swooping up and over the target.

Dennis fit the comb and the pitch which I've been careful not to change.

Gordy set me up with a pretty good sized plank of claro so I'm good to go.

Joe

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok Joe I think you are realizing that you can break more birds with your new gun instead of your old one but I still like the old one because it has a lot of accesories attached to it.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hope all is well on the home front and happy turkey day to you.

Foggy

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Joe, I'm curious if you're having to over extend your left arm?

If so, many scheutzen rifles used a palm rest to prevent this problem. A few even used extended forends. The result is a forend that's several inches below where the forend normally resides. I don't know how it would work on a shotgun, as canting might be an issue. It does work on these rifles for some folks.

7. joe kuhn

Hey Fog. Good to hear from you. Those accesories gave me an idea of a racoon grip cap. Cept I can't find a carver to do it. Know anybody? The concept I tested and threw out with that 'model' is to relieve pressure on the hands. A tight hold is important. Not too tight, but not too loose. That was too loose.

I don't think I'm over extending my left arm. I do get pretty close to the end of the fore end, but it's comfortable; it feels natural and supports a nice smooth move to the target. Not being a rifle shooter, I not familiar with Scheutzen rifles. Got a link? I'd post a picture with the shooter, but I'd end up accesorized again. (I miss living in OR - God's country)

Dennis kick my ass for going beyond the range of convention? Nah.

Tron, shoot any more long runs?

Thanks all.

8. nicky

nicky Member

Joe is that one of those new stocks that have a built in beverage dispenser ? ,Kevin

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Very impressive project, Joe. It takes the old "make the gun fit you" saying to a whole new level. It's looking great. Have a fun winter finishing it. Phil E

10. biff

biff Active Member

Joe, why can't you be just like everyone else here on TS.Com, why do you want to drag something like that out onto the range and scare everyone else into submission before it even starts. Whatever you do don't let Dennis see that, he might put that into production on all his guns! Maybe you are secretly on the research and development staff at DeVault Guns? Biff

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biff, yer correct, he's a secret agent in research and development! Did you also notice he took 2nd place in wobble with it during the league? WTG Joe!! Hap

12. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Well Joe,

I hope the piece of wood is large enough to fit the pattern that you made. It is nice to see innovation and a little forward thinking. It will be great to see the stock finished. Let me know when it is coming to the shop.

Dennis DeVault

13. joe kuhn

Will do. This try pattern seems perfect for your new boltless stock. Maybe next year. I gave Gordy the overall dims, so we should be ok.

Bondo is great for a try stock. You take a piece of cardboard from a cereal box, shape and trim it to fit, line it with a sheet of plastic and tape it on with masking tape. Mix up a couple of paper cups of bondo/hardener and your ready to create. The secret, which I will divulge because Biff and Hap are on to me, is to use chop stix for the mixing and pouring. Clean up is easy and if you get any bondo on your gun, water will disolve it. There, now you know the secrets. Hah!

Thanks,

Joe

14. joe kuhn

I'm calling it the teardrop thumhole design.

Will request that Cindy, Dennis' wife, do her magic on the checkering. Was looking at stipple because I like learning about new stuff throughout a project, but it'd a grade or 2 or 3 below Cindy's beautiful work.

Fore end will be new wood as well, of course.

15. william miller

william miller TS Member

If you are serious about wanting a raccoon on the grip cap, email me and I will give you contact info for a guy who does carving. He is very reasonable too. Dennis DeVault has seen the work that this gentleman did on my Kolar and he can verify that he does good work. I can send you photos of the Kolar and you can see for yourself.

16. joe kuhn

Gun was sent to Dennis today. I requested Cindy make an outline of a coon face in place of the diamond on the fore end. I think it'll work because Dennis' new fore end is wider than the one on this, his first model.

Can't wait until Spring.

The old BarraKuhner will have to come out on warm days. She feels like a clunker compared to this one.

17. joe kuhn

BarraKuhna feels like a clunker because the butt pad just doesn't go down far enough to fit. What doesn't feel like a clunker is it's Holosight. Set flat on it gobbles them up. MachKuhner has a bit higher poi, but we're going to try a little higher rib.

I'm a dead on shooter. I've never been able to see a leading edge. I see the center of the target and want my pattern around that. As my gun moves to the target my brain must have a pretty fast frame rate - to use the movie camera analogy.

I shoot the MachKuhner at the bottom of the target to get smoke and I just can't remember that all the time. I think the rim of the Holosight frames the target and predisposes me to the 'centered' approach. It's where I've come from. Hard to shake your history. Neil and I had a discussion about that long ago...

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what happens when your holosight batteries die?! Go ahead Joe tell 'em how good you, shoot then... nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah....

Jay

19. joe kuhn

Can't hit squat then, Jay. No visual feedback near enough to the target. You know it. I know it. Simple solution is to keep plenty of fresh batteries around.

I should switch to the AA battery model.

Another differernce is the distance between the trigger and the pistol grip. Way too short on that old model.

Glad I'm switching to a rib for another reason. The red circle in the Holosight actually stays on the target when you move your head. Don't know how they make that happen, but it reinforces a bad habit we all know about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.