1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

machinist needs a machinist

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I am looking for a machinist who can cut some woodruff keyways in a shaft at 60 degree spacing. There are 6 ea. 5/16" keyways in a 1.125" dia. piece of TG&P, Q & T 4140 on 3.63" centers. I want the same timing on the keyways as the firing order of a 2-stroke Detroit diesel engine; 1,5,3,6,2,4. So, if the keyways were numbered 1 thru 6 left to right, Keyway #1 would be cut at 0 degrees, the dividing or indexing head turned 60 degrees and keyway number 5 would be cut, another 60 degrees and keyway #3 cut, another 60 degrees and #6 is cut, another 60 degrees and #2 would be cut, then 60 more degrees and #4 is cut. My mill table is too short with the dividing head on to cut all the keyways without repositioning the shaft. Total OAL of the shaft is 23.75"

CL of keyway #1 is 2.20" from the left end of the shaft, with each subsequent keyway 3.63" to the right of the last. There is a 1/4" x 1" woodruff keyway located at 2.025" from the right hand end of the shaft, in no particular location with respect to the 6ea. x 5/16" keyways.

I could provide both the cutters and the mat'l. if needed. You can e-mail me at xxxrotoscale@wyoming.comxxx, dropping the x's with questions and an approximate price if interested. Nice job for an apprentice as there is no real hurry on the job as long as it is done before March 2009. Thanks, Quicky

2. quicky

quicky Member

3. quicky

quicky Member

I can send a sketch via mail but have no way to digitize a dwg. Quicky

4. quicky

quicky Member

I could make a sketch and scan it, then send it as a PDF if that would suffice. Quicky

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think if I were you, I would get hold of 2 pieces of hex stock of about 2" accross the flats and about 3 or 4 inches long.

Put them in the lathe and bore a hole in them both to a slip fit for the TG&P shafting that you want the cut the keyways in.

Then put them on an arbor and turn the corners off just enough so that you know the corners are all the same distance from the bore. (These corners will be the locating points when you make your setup.)

Then drill and tap a couple of set screw holes in each one, slip the shafting into then and tighten the set screws....

Now, you can set this up on the mill and using table stops, locate your centerline of the shafting and cut the first keyway, loosen the hold downs, rotate the hex to the next flat (60°) and cut the next one and so forth till you are done.

Since you will not have a dividing head in the way, the table will probably be long enough to do the job.

I THINK that will work for you, but maybe I didn't understand the job right....is so, ignore all the above. :)

6. quicky

quicky Member

redhawk44: That sounds like a good idea. I can indicate and bore the hexagonal mat'l. in a lathe, setscrew it to the shaft ends, put a stop on the mill table at one end of the hex mat'l. for exact end-to-end repositioning after turning, dial indicate the shaft over its length and put stops in place so that stays constant and should be set. I have a DRO on X and Y so that should help. I'll need to shim along the shaft so I can clamp it because the cutters tend to chatter pretty badly and the shims will keep the shaft from deflecting downward. Thanks a bunch for a good simple idea. Aren't the best ideas usually pretty simple? Thanks, Quicky

7. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Glad to be of help.

8. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.