1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maccauw Gun Club, Bloemfontein, Free State, SA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This weekend I made a trek to Bloemfontein, which is a city in the “Free State” in South Africa, about a 4-1/2 hour drive from my home in Johannesburg. Free State is one of the 9 provinces of South Africa, akin to a State in the USA.

I participated in the Free State Open, which is similar to what we would have as a “State Shoot” in the USA, only on a much smaller scale. For the ATA Tap event, there were 46 participants.

Since there aren’t nearly as many clay target shooters over here, they have to lump all the disciplines together to get a reasonable turnout. So this shoot included ATA Trap, DTL Trap (similar to ATA, but you get 2 shots) Olympic Trap, ATA Doubles Trap, NSSA Skeet, NSSA Skeet Doubles, and Olympic Skeet.

I was quite impressed with the facilities at the club. Very nice clubhouse, and all the ranges are kept in excellent condition. The background reminded me a lot of the KTA Shooting Grounds in Wichita.

The big news for me is that I broke a 97 in ATA Trap on Saturday in blustery conditions (which also reminded me of Wichita), which was good enough for the win. Since they don’t differentiate between In-Province and Out-of-Province champions, I am officially the one-and-only 2012 Free State ATA Champion!

I was pretty excited about it. Shooting over here is a lot like shooting at home. All the men and women are really fun folks to hang around and share stories with. They treated me like a celebrity, and I really appreciated it. The only tough part was, the entire award presentation was done in Afrikaans, except when they gave me my awards!

Here’s a link to some photos I took over the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.356153047798393.83155.100002111025944&type=1&l=be6fcebad3

Oh, and here's a plug for Terry Jordan's wall chart. Seems the more I practice with that thing, the better I shoot on "game day."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bloemfontein clay target club

gun shooting for fun in bloemfontein free state

maccauw shooting club bloemfontein