1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac or PC

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Yes, I know this is not trapshooting related but I'm in need of a new computer. just wondering what the reasons are to opt for the mac, I believe you can run windows with a mac but can you store favorites, I have quite a bit in my favorites and would like to have this option on my next PC. Anything you do or do not like about a mac or pc. thanks

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Here we go again..........lol

Hauxfan!

3. laura!

laura! Member

I've been contemplating the very same thing. This is what I've learned so far.

PCs are cheaper, however a comparably built PC costs the same as a Mac.
    PCs are much more versatile in that you can upgrade with video cards etc.
    The Mac OS is much more user friendly and does not constantly crash or freeze like Windows does.
    Almost all computer viruses are written for Windows.
    If you are into gaming, get a PC; you can get better video cards, etc.

If you want the versatility of a PC, but hate Windows, look into a Linux based OS.

Hopefully some kind computer geek can add to this thread!

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Newcastle,

Once you've tried mac, you'll never go back.

I did the PC from '88 until I bought an iMac in 2005. What a difference. Hassle free and zero brain-damage since.

Go to an Apple company store to get the best advice and service fory your needs. I did mine through Best Buy and that was my only mistake.

OTM

5. kybullseye

kybullseye TS Member

Two hours after I bought my mac I was ready to throw it through the window, took it back to the Apple store and within 15 minutes they had me doing things on my mac that I could never due with windows. There is no comparison.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Newcastle,

Whereabouts are you located? From your name, western PA has a town called New Castle. If that is your location, Apple has two Apple stores in Pittsburgh and there is an Apple franchise dealer, Mac Outfitter as I recall the name, a few miles north of the I-79 - PA Turnpike exit (East side of road) on Rt. 19. That's the Cranberry (Mars) exit. You may want to visit an Apple Store AND MacOutfitter.

If you are not in western PA, find the store locations nearest you from:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/

Remember also Apple, via its web site store sells factory refurbished systems with a new system guarantee for a reduced price compared to new systems. The available machines can change frequently so, if you are considering this option, check frequently.

Another point is recycling your old system. If you do not intend to keep your old system, Apple and some of the PC manufacturers offer free recycling service. If you do recycle, you may want to be sure that your hard drive is scrubbed of any personal data you don't want someone else to see. Things like Bank accounts, charge cards, purchase info, e-mails etc. come to mind.

Also, if you buy a MAC, also purchase one of the books available from a number of sources, to help you learn the full potential of your system. It has been my experience that far to many computer users, both Mac and PC, do NOT even realize, much less use, the full potential of the system(s) they purchase. There are many, many things that you can learn from a book that you may never find by simply blundering around with your computer. Check out a few bookstores to see which publication gives YOU the fullest and easily understood information about your operating system (OS X 10.5, Vista, Linux). It may cost up to $40 or $50 dollars but it might just be the best investment you could make to enjoy your new system.

7. Hauxfan

Laura......You said something about Mac doesn't freeze up or crash like a Windows PC does.

My Windows PC doesn't freeze up and crash. Am I doing something wrong?

Hauxfan!

8. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Good luck at the Mac store. I tried to get a Mac at the Mac store but I don't think they want to sell them. I had a Mac that I bought about 2000, so I wanted to replace it with another one. The store had one teenage sales girl and about 10 customers. She asked if she could help and I had 3 questions. Price? Could I use my old discs? And should I get the lap or desk top? She could not answer any of those questions and would have to get a salesman. The first salesman was not able to answer any of the questions either so he got another salesman. After about one hour of this run around and 6 other salesman, I left without any answers and went to Office Max. Got good service. Tried them out. Bought the one that fit my needs. That was over a yeat ago and have never had a problem with my HP.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

My computers are used for business. Mac computers do not have the softwear available to meet my needs.

Pat Ireland

10. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Three months ago I bit the bullet and bought my first Mac. I like it; however, most software is written for PC's so there is a price for going Mac. I have a Magellan GPS device and the software for adding my own POI's is written only for PC's. There are other examples. On the plus side, I bought a new wireless printer and the MAC instantly recognized it and could print as soon as the printer initialized. We own a PC and setting up the printer on that computer was a pain in the @ss.

Bottom line, if your into graphic applications, digital photography, or just need to produce kick @ss presentations get a Mac, otherwise save your money and get a PC. Computers are consumables so buy cheap and plan on replacing every three years.

Chip

11. laura!

laura! Member

Hauxfan! Maybe you haven't turned it on?

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

This comes up like 7-1/2 or 8's every so often.

I have zero mac experience, but my oldest son who grew up on Intel has both. He uses it for video editing primarily. He is very proficient on both.

Once the honeymoon period was over, the Mac burps and gulps as bad or worst than his XP and Vista machines. He has no choice but use Mac for finalcut pro.

I like the look and feel of the mac, but I was a techie for too many years on windows to make the switch.

I am loading up a spare machine with linux to run it around again. I ran an older version a few years back, and it was really fast on modest hardware.

Bottom line, as with trap guns, find the one that floats your boat and go with it. I don't think either are perfect or ever will be. Both require care and feeding properly, or you will get bad results. Of course those who ignore the care and feeding will be the ones to complain either/both are terrible.

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

From my personal experience, PC beats Mac. I've built 2 computers of my own, and have zero problems with them, besides some XP updating problems which were easily fixed. My school has Mac's, and they're sllooow. They have to update with new $2,000 machines about every two years because they become outdated, and you can't just pull the main board out and replace it with a new one like you can on a PC. One thing I will say though, if you go PC, and you want good performance, either don't go with Vista, or get a computer with about 4 GB of RAM, Vista likes to use your computers memory and kill performance.

Just a thought, most of the new PC's have hard drives in them that are way too big for the average person. I have a 250 GB hard drive in my home built computer, and I haven't even used half of it. And that's with some photo editing software, photos, videos, and all of my website stuff. Unless you do some major video and photo editing, there's no need for a 800 GB hard drive. JMO, Josh.

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have been a Mac user since 1984. In my opinion its the only way to go. Use them strictly for business no games. Over the years i have had very few problems. In nearly 25 years have had 5 upgrades. Mac Plus to 2SI to G3 Lap top to G4 Laptop to the Intel MacBook that I am using now. Typically systems go 3 to 5 years. We have been able to upgrade some of the systems to extend life. Had only one warrantee claim. Rarely have we had a software glitch or virus. Great systems.

The current Intel Laptop also has a copy of Windows XP that can be used. In general the Mac is the most versatile system available.

There are Mac users and the great unsaved.

Tom

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I don't own a Mac but every computer genius I know has a Mac. And, I know more than a few.

16. Hauxfan

Laura.........My PC is never turned off. I'm sure if you try, you can come up with a better one than that..........

FlakeTm.......Now that was funny.............and true.......lol lol

Hauxfan!

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Huxfan:

Thats right never turn it off because it might not restart...

TB

18. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

My buddy that had Macs since they were invented in the 70's,and loved them, finally gave up and got a PC so he could do everything and run every program. He said he won't be going back,

19. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I prefer a Mac for it's versatility & reliability. I get very good service from an authorized Apple dealer.

20. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Also, my home built computer was nearly the fastest at the time that I built it, with a fairly good graphics card, a 250 GB hard drive, and a 2.8 GHz dual core AMD (fastest was 3.0 GHz Dual core at the time). And it cost a fraction of what the Mac's cost. JMHO, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.