1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MAC I PHONE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ed Y, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neeto, if you don't mind the monthly fee.

Ed Yanchok

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have had one almost from the beginning. IT GREAT! The fees are not much different than what i was paying with Sprint/Nextel. The ability to read and to reply to email anywhere is fabulous. Also the tracking feature with the Google Maps is great. Not as soon as a true GPS but is gets you there. The only gripe i have is that the speaker phone feature is not loud enough and the BlueTooth earphone deal is a little funky and loses its way a lot wound not buy anther one.

In short its worth twice the price. Oh the ATT service is just as good as the Sprint/Nextel that I gave up. Great coverage. The only dropped call I have had was on the other end.

TB

3. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

I have had many phones. The iPhone is the finest, bar none. It will do everything advertised. Try finding a Starbucks in Fargo, ND on any other phone, not only will you get the Starbucks location and map with direction to and from and phone number to call ahead for your double bump latte.

Richard

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My sister and daughter have them and love them. I doubt I could figure them out...

5. magic

magic Member

iPhone is the greatest piece of technology to come along in many years. That says alot since that is the business I am in...

JASON SHEEHY

6. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Is it easy to change the battery on them?
    Change it yourself I mean.

I'll wait until they open up the secret vault and allow all me to use with the carrier of my choice. Or I will get one of the kids at the loca college to hack it for me so that I can use it on Verizon.

7. kgp

kgp TS Member

I've had one since August. The PDA function with the calendar and contacts works great, as does email. Synchs well with Outlook. Two things I don't like: It is difficult to dial while driving since there is no voice dial. Even stored numbers take several "looks" at the phone to get the right number, unlike using speed dial on most cell phones. The second dislike is that there is no support for a to do list.

Overall, though, it is the coolest thing that I have ever owned. When you factor in the unlimited data usage, the monthly fee is not too bad. If you only use it for a cell phone, it's high.

Ken

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Art...you can insist that Apple unlock your phone so that it can be used on any network. It's a software thing.

I read a bit back that apple has sold something like 1.6 million phones, and ATT has only hooked up 1.2 million of them...meaning that about 400,000 of them are being used on other networks. If I can find the article, I'll try to post a link

jeff

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

From www.thestreet.com...it's the "unlocked" phones I was referring to above.

Tech investors are pondering a bit of a mystery: Apple's (AAPL - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) missing iPhones.

By some analysts' estimates, there are 1.4 million iPhones unaccounted for. That is roughly the gap between the nearly 4 million iPhones Apple says it has sold, and the number of iPhone activations by AT&T (T - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) and Apple's European telco partners.

The discrepancy comes amid concerns that Apple's white-hot growth phase has fizzled following what was viewed as disappointing guidance from the company this week. The news also reignites fears that the hugely hyped iPhone may not be quite as popular as first estimated.

The Case of the Missing iPhones

The disappointments on the iPhone front started early for Apple, as TheStreet.com first reported in July. Apple failed to sell out the 1 million iPhones it had supplied on the weekend of the product's debut. The goal was an internal target, say people familiar with the plan.

But Apple didn't exactly blow the number out of the water when reported that it sold 270,000 iPhones in its fiscal third quarter. That total was seen as a letdown to analysts, who had predicted sales of between 200,000 and 700,000 for iPhone's debut quarter.

In the most recent quarter, the gap between what Apple sold and what the telcos activated grew even wider.

As RealMoney columnist Tero Kuittinen points out, Apple says it shipped 2.3 million iPhones and AT&T says it activated 900,000 new iPhone subscribers for the same period.

Analysts at Sanford Bernstein estimate that Apple has shipped 3.75 million iPhones in total, while telcos have activated about 2.35 million phones. The total unactivated unlocked phones might account for 20% of the difference, leaving 670,000 unaccounted for, says Bernstein.

If the estimates are true, Apple is facing a growing pile of unsold iPhones. The company did not provide an immediate comment.

One of the problems for the iPhone sales is that the current model is a slower 2.5 generation technology, and a faster 3G iPhone will be unveiled in early summer. Another damper on demand, say observers, is AT&T. Consumers have strong feelings about the quality of wireless network coverage, and AT&T has not swept any quality awards on this front.

10. ink ball

ink ball Member

Make sure you look at the cell coverage for you area before you buy one. Certain areas of the country have poor coverage by ATT. I actually had one purchased, but returned it when I saw how spotty the coverage was in my area. Its an awesome phone if you have good coverage....sure wish some other carriers could provide service for this phone.

11. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

jeff p

I knew there was a bunch of unlocked phones out there.

You can find hackers on Google that will do it for you for a small fee.

Then you can use the phone with your own provider.

Typical of Apple to try to force the user into doing thigs THE APPLE WAY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.