1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MA trooper shoots woman thinks her dogs were deer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Can somebody from Massachusetts tell me what strange deer you have up there that have tails that make retriever dogs look like deer???

NORTON, Mass. (AP) — An off-duty state trooper who was hunting in southeast Massachusetts shot and wounded a 66-year-old woman who was out walking her two dogs when he mistook her pets for a deer.

The woman was shot in the torso while walking on a wooded path in Norton about 5 p.m. Saturday. Police said the trooper called 911 after realizing he had mistaken the tails of the two retrievers for a deer's tail.

The unidentified woman who lives in Norton was taken to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment. Authorities provided no further information on her condition.

State police on Sunday said investigators determined the shooting was an accident. The name of the trooper, who also lives in Norton, was not released because he faces no charges. The investigation continued.

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I hate these stories. I have no respect or sympathy for someone who shoots at something he hasnt clearly identified. And a state trooper no less ? moron !

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Should be executed for stupidity.

This person carries weapons in his day to day job, is supposed to deal with law breakers, and can't tell a deer from a dog.

Sheesh.

HM

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gosh dammit!!!! BE 100% SURE OF YOUR TARGET OR DON'T SHOOT!!!! He should be put in prison for his stupid stupid gross NEGLIGENCE. If anybody should know better, it should be a trained officer. Geez i get tired of the stupidity.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Yes, It was a very stupid mistake but did it cross your mind to pray for him as well as the victim. There is no telling what the ladies life will be like from now own and his is literally over. It is so sad that people make this type of mistake but they do and suffer the consequences. I hope you have never made a major mistake but must admit that I have, fortunately no one was injured physically by mine. Just sayin Jackie B.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A dumb and preventable mistake but an accident none the less...his life will be ruined in many ways he will have to endure the rest of his life..I feel sorry for them all

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Not sure, but would have to look at the present game laws. If at 5 PM that was after shooting hours, 3/4's of an hour after sunset and too dark. It should never have happened. I hope she is able to recover to full health.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I re-read the news story and it said his name would not be released as no charges would be filed. Simply amazing. Swept under the rug.

Link to the story attached.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Interesting how they were so quick to dismiss any possible charges. Doubt if any of us would be afforded the courtesy.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

First ID the critter, buck or doe, fawn, ect... Then after you decide you want to take the animal and the angle is good, control your breathing, Pick a small spot on the vitals to place the bullet. Send the bullet, make a clean, humane kill.

Flash shooters are not hunters.

11. cpd544

cpd544 Member

"According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities." The occupations of the 1000 hunters were not published because they were all dumb mistakes or accidents regardless of the hunter's occupation. As far as criminal charges there would not be any in an accident. Some people love to jump on the cop bashing band wagon but whether he was a cop or mechanic really has nothing to do with it, it was an accident. Every hunter including the trooper should know what they are shooting at and what is behind their target in the path of the bullet. I think it is far worse to have thousands of people make a choice to get behind the wheel of a car drunk then kill or maim anyone who get's in their path.

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I think I can safely say the Trooper would not have shot someone or their dog on purpose while hunting and he most likely feels horrible over it. It is no different than when someone runs a red light and injures/kills someone. As long as the driver was not under the influence or doing something criminal it is labeled an accident and no charges are filed. This happens every day hundreds of times across the US as do hunting accidents. The Trooper was careless, negligent, irresponsible, and I would say probably never needs to go hunting again but it was not a crime unless you can prove intent.

As far as him wearing blue, there are a lot of great officers in this country that will give their life to help or save people like you and me without thinking twice about it. Last month we lost three officers here, two got shot and killed on traffic stops and one got killed when a car pulled in front of him and the officer hit the vehicle killing him instantly. All I am saying is do not bunch all people who wear blue with a guy who does not have the common sense to know a dear from a dog. There are good, bad, smart, and stupid in every occupation.

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"The occupations of the 1000 hunters were not published because they were all dumb mistakes or accidents regardless of the hunter's occupation."

Police officers are, or at least should be, held to a higher standard when it comes to gun safety and marksmanship. They have received extensive training, much more so than the public regularly receives (unless they go out of their way to acquire it). If he cannot be trusted to go hunting responsibility (shooting at "flags", failing to identify his target), then he's proven that he cannot execute his job responsibly either. Based on his conduct hunting, maybe next time he's in a foot pursuit situation, and he can't find the perp, he'll just unload his weapon into the first group of bushes that shakes, thinking its the perp, only to find out its a 5 year old playing hide and go seek.

Police officers are never really off duty.

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

What was the woman doing out walking her dogs during deer season???? Just saying there is some responibility on her part also. Yes he should have been sure of his target for sure.

15. copper

copper Member

Most State Police I have meet are very professional Now I have met local cops that were not very knowlegable as to guns real not a slight just fact. I have meet NYC cop a few have never drawn there weapon TV makes us think other wise . This was a accident that should not have happened regardless . I am angry at him and feel bad for him all at same time .Note I have bird hunted in federal game land and all of a sudden a woman was right there on walking trail running her Yorkie made me shiver I told her she might want to ware Orange. My spin on this well he made a rash decision on something he could not see clearly was not in trying to save his life. What ever that normally brings by law should be what it is even though he has to live with tragic mistake be a State cop has nothing much to do with it.

16. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Not only is the troopers ability to identify game animals terrible, the shooting requires a lot of work also. The trooper should have his/her hunting privilage revoked for a long time.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Not an accident, it is stupidity. "no charges" ha ha. If someone shot you, would you say, Oh, that's ok you didn't mean to shoot me. She will most likely ruin him in civil court.

18. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I did a little looking at the Mass. deer hunting regulations and a few things come to light. If I read the rules correctly, the only deer season that was still open was the muzzle loader (primitive weapons) season. It closes on December 31 That would make this past Saturday the last day of the season.

More importantly, Mass. hunting hours are up to half an hour after sunset. In looking at the sunset hours listed for Boston, Sunset is listed as 4:20 which would make the end of the legal hunting hours 4:50 P.M. Even allowing for a slight difference in local sunset because of location. it would still put his shot as occurring after legal hunting hours have ended.

Now most places are getting pretty dark a half hour after sunset. This would have to make visibility more difficult. Massachusetts definition of a "primitive" muzzle loader would seem to allow in-lines, even those using shotgun primers, along with the more traditional flint and cap locks. Laser sights are out but scopes would seem to be allowed. Remember that a scope gets harder to use in low light so again target visibility is called into question. It would be informative if the distance between shooter and victim were included but no such info seems to be available.

Given the time, light level, and obvious lack of clearly identifying the target, in my book this incident, if the facts presented in the news story are accurate (I have seen more than too many times where reporters have so mangled the actual events versus what they reported to never completely believe anything reported where a shooting incident is involved.) that at the least an investigation, by an agency other than that which employed the shooter, would be warranted. That does not seem to have occurred here.

Additional info available Click Here

There does appear to be a conflict in the sunset and end of legal shooting hours between what is reported in this article and sunrise/sunset hours as listed on a different web site that I listed above. A look at Weather.com for Norton, MA shows a sunset time of 4:24 P.M. for today so last Saturday would have been a few minutes earlier, say 4:20 P.M. That would still have put the shooting as happening after legal hunting hours.

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

First I will pray for all invovled. BUT that being said if no charges are filled then Something is ROTTEN! There is NO doubt in my mind that if it had been someone else besides a LEO (especially in THAT state) then charges WOULD HAVE BEEN FILLED! As far as why she was walking her dogs dring deer season, Although I am a hunter, I don't expect people to stop all daily activities because it is hunting season! Anybody hunting has the responsibility to CLEARLY identify his or her target PERIOD! It appears this guy made a STUPID MISTAKE but that should NOT excuse his behavior! I mean no disrespect for LEOs but they have a high standard to maintain and this guy FAILED MISERABLY! In the military you are held accountable to the highest degree. LEOs should be also. While I feel sorry for him to some degree, at the very least he should be charged with criminal negligance! I say this stinks!

20. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Sometimes common sense can go a long ways,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.