1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M40 sniper in Iraq

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I hope you guys get to see this: Put the sound on-

http://www.military.com/NL_WK/1,14845,7519,00.html

Phil Berkowitz

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Zero recoil. I wish I had that system on my XT.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

979 yards with a quartering wind. Very nice.

4. setter

setter Member

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Check out the other videos for air craft interdiction on the bad guys as well..33 different HITS on one 9 minute video..great music background too!..lb

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

That was from the movie "Generation Kill." It is a 3-DVD set.

That movie is probably the absolute closest dialogue, word-for-word, as the book "Generation Kill" and is based upon events in Iraq.

I've probably read about every military book on the Iraq and Afgan war, and books written by those there, as well as about ever snipe book written. I really enjoy that stuff.

Whiz

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Very entertaining, but you do have to wonder how they got the videos showing the image in the scopes of the shooter and the spotter. Any chance this might have been staged? Just maybe?????

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Ted,have you seen the binoculars that also take pictures or movies of what you are looking at? That same technology can be applied to rifle scopes.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

As I stated in my thread response, this clip was from the MOVIE, "Generation Kill"... the entire movie was a..... movie.

Whiz

10. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Every time I try to open a video on the Military sight nothing happens. The pictures come up fine. What am I doing wrong.
    Thanks for any help, Carey

11. setter

setter Member

Click on the "play" symbol.

12. Maurice

Maurice Member

This is obviously staged for a movie. A sniper has enough to do without being encumbered with video equipment and attendant operators. The job is dangerous enough without that kind of distraction. From an ex sniper, Maurice ( The Brit )

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If your a sniper you shoot and move very fast. If your there 1min your sniped

14. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Hoosier D. -

No, I've never seen binoculars that take pictures. I've seen cameras that can be attached to scopes (and binoculars, I guess) but binoculars that take pictures without any camera mechanism involved (either built-in or attached) seem something of a stretch.

But I think you missed my point.

The video showed footage purporting to be the image the sniper saw when he pulled the trigger and hit his targets (did you see the blood spatter?). If there was a camera attached to the sniper's scope, HOW COULD HE AIM HIS RIFLE? Answer: the whole thing was staged, with a camera in place of the shooter.

But you could see the scope outline around the outer edge of the video - doesn't that prove that it was a photo taken through the scope? Answer: Nope. Movies are routinely "cropped" to give the impression of looking through binoculars or scopes, when that's what the script calls for. It's just a process of substituting black for a shaped portion of the the picture. Very easy to do.

15. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

ITS FROM A TV SHOW

16. Maurice

Maurice Member

Another problem with this so-called sniper is the way he slams down his scoped rifle ( even though it is cased ) on the vehicle hood. No sniper worth his salt would treat the tools of his trade that way. Maurice ( The Brit ).

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well here is one that isn't DVD or a mini series or any reproduction of what actually happened in real time.

The Caliber is a bit heavier .50 Cal. I believe what ever it is it certainly packs a wollop.

Bob Lawless

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid104.photobucket.com/albums/m180/claybreaker10/SiperRifle.flv">

18. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I think that was a mountain goat, could be wrong, but i have see it elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.