1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M25 slug gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sasquach, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sasquach

sasquach Member

Sent a model 25 winchester to E.R.Shaw to have a rifled slug barrell installed. Has any one had this done? Was wondering what kind of performance to expect. Any advice on reloads?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

what do they charge for this?

Gene

3. Beni

Beni Member

I got a custom er shaw barrel for my Benelli m1 Super 90,rifle sights. Shot a 1.25 in group at 50yds. and a 3 " group at 100yds. As for reloads I use a 525 gr. cast sabot slug ,Gold medal case,waa114f wad, {the yellow one}33.6 grs. of herco powder,win 209 primer. good luck beni

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The better question is WHY would you do this. There are so many great slug guns on the market that are specifically designed to shoot very accurately right out of the box. You will probably pay more for this endeavor then you could have bought a whole bull barreled slug gun for. To each his own i guess.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    3" at 100 yards? I'm getting that now with my rifle sighted 1187 with a mod choke and Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers.

6. grntitan

3 shots at 100 yds with my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter with Hornady 300gr SST Sabot slugs. Paid $195 for the whole gun back in 2006.

grntitan_2009_250378.jpg

7. Beni

Beni Member

yea right beni

8. grntitan

Beni,

I sure hope you didn't pay alot for that custom barrel because 1.25" at 50 yds and 3" at 100 is actually not that impressive. Maybe its your reloads. I think you have alot to learn about slugs and slug guns. I'm thinking my Remingting 870 with smoothbore slug barrel can come close to 3" at 100yds with cheap rifled slugs, open sights and a good rest. I'm not sure if it was my grouping or Brian's you don't believe and either way that's ok. You seem content with your accuracy. I just hope you don't think that's as good as it gets with slugs or slug guns. As i said above, to each his own.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My brother owned a 12 ga. H&R slug slinger like grntitans built on a 10 ga, frame/barrel and it is very accurate with sabots. I had the standard H&R fully rifled model that also shot very well with them. Especially after I machined a cantilever scope mount and silver soldered it to my barrel and mounted a quality scope! The only problems I had with my lightweight was it killed outa one end and crippled on the other!! BUT,, it was very accurate shooting!!

Hap

10. Beni

Beni Member

Please be mindful of this,the man asked about an ERShaw custom barrel and reloads,all I did was tell him of what I had ,not once did I call anybody out on their equiptment.Bought my barrel used, never once said I could print a group at 100yds. I will tell you that I learn something new all the time as Im not blessed to know everything about slug guns and slugs. I will also tell you that at 100yds a 3" group with open sights is A very respectable group,and my reloads have killed deer out to 150yds,all 1 shot kills. My reloads and all my buddies reloads have killed tons of deer,just like the factory slugs,except mine cost about a quarter of the factory loads. Think I will go cut somemore venison summer sausage have a great day Beni

11. grntitan

Beni,

Your right about what the OP asked and then what you gave. This is an open forum where opinions are both allowed and expected. I gave both my opinion and listed my equipment and what i perceived as proof of its accuracy. Of course at some level you have to take a man for his word. I have killed my fair share of whitetail with that setup and several others in my collection. That is what the guns are designed for and i assume both yours and mine serve their purpose quite well.

I will add that you should keep in mind, when you make a statement like "yea right", you should expect some sort of comeback. I think that is what you were looking for. Enjoy your venison.

12. sasquach

sasquach Member

Gene, it will be a little over $300.
    Beni, thanks for the reply. I've been wondering how well those slugs shoot. I plan to try some other reloads too.
    Grini, I didn't know I had to justify myself to you, but that being the case, I like m12's and I couldn't find a rifled barrel for one. This is the closet I could come. Was not really looking at price. Just wanted something a little different. Hope that is alright with you.

Allen

13. Brian in Oregon

Perhaps Beni is not familiar with the group tightening effect of putting Remington Sluggers through a choke.

As I said, I'm getting 3" groups at 100 yards with 2-3/4" Rem Sluggers with a mod choke. This was off of a bench rest at a range.

An IC choke opened the group up considerably, and slugs were all over the map with a cylinder choke.

These slugs like a bit of choking. The "rifling" is not to spin the slug. The grooves are there so the raised areas will swage down into them when passing through a choke. It is safe to shoot sluggers in chokes up to full.

The irony is that I was testing Remington Copper Solid sabot slugs through a Remington extended rifled choke tube. Groups were 4", but every hole in the paper showed the slug keyholing. I recovered some sabots and found the grooves in them were straight and wider than the lands in the choke tube. This meant that the slugs were not turning and were stripping in the lands. What a disappointment. When I contacted Remington they said these slugs had to be shot in a fully rifled barrel. I replied that the slug box said they could be used with rifled choke tubes as well. Remington remained silent to that.

I've been looking for a fully rifled camo rifle sighted barrel for my 1187 but so far have only found the cantilever style. Because of the decent groups with the Sluggers I have not revisited this issue. I only took the Sluggers to the range to act as a control group.

14. Beni

Beni Member

Brian, I had to purchase a Hastings barrel for my 11-87,rifle sights,I also had a hard time finding one in rem. 11-87. Not sure if their still in production or not?? Beni

15. Brian in Oregon

Hastings bellied up. Except for some of the very earliest barrels, the Hastings are good accurate barrels. The problem with the initial run was some brands of slugs were blowing them up. Those problems were ironed out quickly.

Remington made rifle sighted slug barrels are getting harder to find in both smooth bore with choke tubes and fully rifled. Cabelas used to carry them in both polished blue and matte. Now they only carry the cantilever (scope) version.

It's ironic that the new owners of Remington are embracing the concept of the modular rifle (AR15) yet at the same time are getting rid of options for what is arguable the most modular shotguns ever made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.