1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M12 Trap for viewing. unusual gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I think it is 28", but it is a factory MOD, .730 bbl, Simmons 1 pin rib at the back. MC is about 1-1/2", maybe 1-9/16". All orig. Blue, wood finish, pad in great shape. I knew they made these occasionally, but I do not know what for, but a neat gun for sure. Comments are welcome and appreciated. PM if you like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Jack, I had bout the same gun. It was a 28" mod (I think it was tighter just because how hard i hit targets with it). Simmons rib. I started shooting trap with it and broke many 100's and 200's with it and made it to the 27yd. Only reason I stopped shooting with it as I had to have it rebuilt so I bought a 90-T and shot it well just put the 12 away.
    Chris

3. JACK

We have an antique gun shoot coing up at the club after the grand. I doubt that I can pump it and so, I'll change the serial number on one of my broadways to pre-64 status. I['v eowned a few M12s but know very little about them. I like this one because it is so original.

4. plaw

plaw Active Member

She should be a mean singles machine!

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen a few of these but this is the first one I looked at that didn't have the pistol grip stock ...Great gun, just like all of the other Model 12's ... We had a game shooter that shot one and he had no problem on the 3rd or 4th shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Jack, first of all beautiful gun that should be a joy to shoot. However it is most likely a Simmons build up on a field gun although I am not sure if the butt stock came from them. One give away is that the proof marks are missing,most likely under the rib as field guns had them directly on top, factory rib guns have the proof marks to the side.

Don't know who did these butt stocks as this is only the second straight monte carlo I've seen, the other I bought a year or so ago, it also is pretty high grade wood although yours is even nicer, wonder who was selling these stocks? Whats your LOP, mines fairly short at 13 7/8.

They are great guns and fun to shoot, absolutely vaporize targets. Here are a few pics of mine,original 1961 factory trap except for the stock,30",full.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Cool!..never seen straight grip MC stocks before...Jacks gun is one I'd like to take a crack at doubles with with that barrel length and choke

8. JACK

I think it is 28", but it is a factory MOD, .730 bbl, Simmons 1 pin rib at the back. MC is about 1-1/2", maybe 1-9/16". All orig. Blue, wood finish, pad in great shape. I knew they made these occasionally, but I do not know what for, but a neat gun for sure. Comments are welcome and appreciated. PM if you like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Jack, I had bout the same gun. It was a 28" mod (I think it was tighter just because how hard i hit targets with it). Simmons rib. I started shooting trap with it and broke many 100's and 200's with it and made it to the 27yd. Only reason I stopped shooting with it as I had to have it rebuilt so I bought a 90-T and shot it well just put the 12 away.
    Chris

10. JACK

We have an antique gun shoot coing up at the club after the grand. I doubt that I can pump it and so, I'll change the serial number on one of my broadways to pre-64 status. I['v eowned a few M12s but know very little about them. I like this one because it is so original.

11. plaw

plaw Active Member

She should be a mean singles machine!

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen a few of these but this is the first one I looked at that didn't have the pistol grip stock ...Great gun, just like all of the other Model 12's ... We had a game shooter that shot one and he had no problem on the 3rd or 4th shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Jack, first of all beautiful gun that should be a joy to shoot. However it is most likely a Simmons build up on a field gun although I am not sure if the butt stock came from them. One give away is that the proof marks are missing,most likely under the rib as field guns had them directly on top, factory rib guns have the proof marks to the side.

Don't know who did these butt stocks as this is only the second straight monte carlo I've seen, the other I bought a year or so ago, it also is pretty high grade wood although yours is even nicer, wonder who was selling these stocks? Whats your LOP, mines fairly short at 13 7/8.

They are great guns and fun to shoot, absolutely vaporize targets. Here are a few pics of mine,original 1961 factory trap except for the stock,30",full.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Cool!..never seen straight grip MC stocks before...Jacks gun is one I'd like to take a crack at doubles with with that barrel length and choke

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I agree with JohnR. Most probably a 28" field gun converted
    to trap configuration.

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

The "english" butt stock just doesn't look right on a Model 12----sorry

Chuck

17. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jack

You have a nice gun with factory Super grade wood Checkering and all but it is a simmons buildup,with factory wood. When Winchester sent guns to simmons to put ribs on they offset the proof marks like the ones on JohnR gun. Buy the way John you have the round cylindrical posts on your gun as rare as the donut post rib guns. This info is not only from memory but taken from The Winchester Model 12 book by George Madis and cross checked with Ronald W. Stadt book on Winchester Shootguns and shot shells.

Hope This Helps Great Guns

John G.

Let me add that the proof marks on a field gun were stamped on the top of the reciever and barrel now covered be the rib.

18. fishguts

fishguts Member

Field gun with Simmons rib...Simmons rib posts...Winchester didn't sandblast the step at the front end of the receiver, Simmons does.

BUT....really nice looking gun. I have shot doubles with M12's that have a straight grip and it's not easy. You have to hold the grip tight or the gun slips and wants to twist in your hand.

Wayne

19. JACK

Be still my beating heart. Is it any wonder that I claim to know nithng about M12s and run from them as a rule? Just a another junker that fills up the safe.

20. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Jack, far from a junker, its a beautiful gun and Simmons does quality work. I own 4 Model 12 trap guns and every one has been modified in some way, you know how us trap shooters just can't leave well enough alone. The Model 12 was the go to trap gun for many years and if a shooter wanted a trap gun and had a field gun companies like Simmons were there to turn it into a high quality trap gun, don't think you will find anyone that talks down about Simmons work.

I have a 1928 nickel steel that got the full Simmons treatment and its one hell of a good shooting gun, seems every time I take it out I get a 25 with it,fits well and points naturally. I kind of look at these modified trap Model 12's as another area to collect,there is a Model 12 trap with Anton wood in the classifieds right now I would love to own. Pic of my Simmons gun.

JohnR

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.