1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M12 Safety Reversible?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfram, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Here is a question that I'm embarassed to ask, is the safety on a M12 Winchester reversible for left handed operation? I really like these guns but have avoided getting one due to their 'right handed' crossbolt safety. I have a M42 that I use for skeet and quail, in the field I just carry the 42 open slide until my pointer locks up. Not the best solution but it works.

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

the detent spring and plunger for the model 12 are on the right side the safety itself will not reverse.

There have been after market safeties made to work fo lefthanded shooters, that is what you need to look for.

Al

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. That's kind of what I thought. Obviously I haven't been motivated enough to take my M42 apart and pop out the safety. Sounds like a guy would have to do a little drawing and have a machinist turn out a custom part these days. I love hunting with that M42 and having a left handed safety would be a real plus so the effort is probably justified.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Hunt hard enough and you will find a lefty for the M-12. The M-42, you will not. I have made about a half dozen safeties for M-42's.....not cheap though. The lefty will also be slighlty longer than the righty. It will not push in flush with the trigger guard.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.