1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

m12 problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kysmith, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

Got a new to me M12, 1953 manufacture, built up trap model. Pretty smooth and doesn't seem worn out. When firing (Not dry firing) is hard to pump open after shot. Works fine when dry firing and racking action. Can't even hit the release button to get it to opem. Will open with much force.

Tried it again. Bolt will release just a bit and binds. Seems like the left hand extractor may be catching, but I'm not sure. Took trigger group out with empty shell still stuck, couldn't see anything binding up.

Ideas? Anyone have an online takedown guide?

2. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

yep, any load, tried cheap paper rios, feds, wins, all light target loads

3. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

From your description of the action, it duplicates the problem Winchester had with the "improved" dog-leg action slide. In 1954 at serial about 1.5 million, they changed the slide to a 2 piece stamping that was the larger twin to the one on the model 42. After the complaints started piling up, Winchester recalled them and offered to replace all the ones in service. I have a Skeet gun with factory Cutts that has the dog-leg slide and the first shot I took locked up the action as you describe. Take a look at your action slide to see if it comes straight out of the forend OR makes a 90 degree up and 90 degree back to the receiver.

Jere

4. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

It's a 1.3 million and has a straight rod.

5. wrzone

wrzone Member

You need to check headspace ring to make sure it matches the chamber. Stick your finger inside the chamber to see if there is a ridge between the two it does not have very much maybe .004 or .005 if that.

Also if someone has replaced the takeup ring most of the time this will cause a ridge between the headspace ring and chamber. Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.