1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M12 or 870 preferences?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Old Beater, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

I own a M12 but have not shot it much. The first time I slam-fired it I got really scared of it and now it just sits in the closet. I am much more careful now, but I like the 870's & would consider buying one. If your except the slam-firing issue, which one do you think is better? I am thinking reliability, ease of repairing, finding parts, and longevity.
    Just curious. I feel like buying another gun and I probably should part with one before I do that.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Blaise

2. mike b.

mike b. Member

On M-12's the gun will fire if the trigger is not released before the action is closed on the next shot. If your incident occured another way, I'd have a gunsmith check it out to make it safe for you or the next owner.
    Parts are available for both, but are easier to get for the 870 since it's still being made.
    Both are excellent pumps and you should own at least one of each.. I have 2 -M12s and 4 -870's.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Both fine shotguns if recoil is not an issue. 1 oz. loads tames them down a bit.
    Lockup is in the barrel on an 870 which probably puts it ahead of a Model 12. Replacing a barrel is cheaper than getting a receiver rebuilt.

Ive shot my model 12 for over thirty years with little problems. However, I never shot anything hotter than factory trap loads.

Still a hansome shotgun in my book.

Regards Gerald

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

kinda like your kids, pets etc.
    similiar but different, I have a m-12 m-12y and a 870 luv them all.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have a M-12 for trade. Will consider five 870's and some cash.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

THATS A GOOD ONE SHADOW. THAT PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I''ve owned and shot both I sold the 870 and still own my M12. I just shoot the M12 better than I did the 870. Never had a failure with either gun.

8. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Hey I prefer the M-12 but like the 870 as well. If your feel that an 870 is for you and want to sell that winchester sitting it the closet let me know. Thanks Josh jdlovejoy4 or 330-705-8757 I'd be very interested.

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Model 12 for sure, the 870's kick the crap out of you. Ben

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like the sound that a M-12 makes when it is closed.

Pat Ireland

11. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Pat, I couldn't agree more it just sounds like it means buisness.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Model 12's won more events than any other gun until the SS break opens hit the market, and then took over the market. It seems as though all the top quality guns have the Model 12 receiver profile. Tells you something?

13. BustClays

BustClays Member

If you own a M12 already, then go buy an 870 and try it out for awhile. If you don't like it you will probably be able to sell it for near your purchase price less a little "rent."

Personally, I find that the 870 "fits me better." Never a problem. If you don't shoot doubles, try the single shot Competition model, it's a bit easier on recoil because it has a recoil reduction system. They come up for sale occassionally here for anywhere from $550 to $750, depending on wood etc.

My current 870 Competition is pictured below, purchased it from "captin" on this website, great gun!

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=collage.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.