1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M1 Garand w/Trons Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Bought this M1 thru the Civilan Marksmanship Program, they come with a steel butt plate, which is fine for Hand to Hand, but its a little tough on the shoulder,especially when you have a torn tendon or 2 like I do. I decided to send it over to Tron and have him work a little magic. Im sure the Kickez pad and the 12oz Mercury suppressor he installed will take some of the bite out of the 30-06 rounds. And as you can see the job was first rate, top notch.Cant wait to try it out!!

2. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Even with the steel butt plate, you can place the stock of a Garand on your groin and fire it without causing a whit of pain. I know because I have done it many times when introducing young shooters to the Garand. The only thing you really accomplished was increasing the LOP.

It's your rifle, but I can't believe anyone would do that.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I can't believe you would modify it from the original state. I feel like I had hot sauce rubbed in my eyes.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Garand. Rhymes with errand.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

With the cost of 30-06 ammo, how much are you going to shoot this? Why didn't you just buy a semi-auto sporting rifle? You've absolutely ruined this weapon. What a shame - Tron should have handed this right back to you and refused to do it. You could have put a slip on pad on it for crying out loud.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Another classic hacked, if your recoil shy maybe you should have the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. Maybe even have the throat in the chamber lengthen to help reduce perceived recoil. P.S. don't post those pictures on the Garand forum.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Yakiman, I fully agree with you. I HATE TO SEE PEOPLE BUTCHER THEIR GUNS. If I have to cut or grind on something on a gun I will order a replacement part and do what I have to to it. But never the factory part. I will take that and put it in the parts closet till I need to put it back on.

I knew a gunsmith who had a guy come in with a Fox Sterlingworth and said he wanted 1 or 2 inches CUT OFF THE BARREL. He looked it over and asked why. The guy said the barrels were to long for some reason. The gunsmith gave him all the reasons not to do it but he still wanted the work to be done. The gunsmith thought it over and said NO I WILL NOT BUTCHER THIS FINE GUN. The guy went some other place. Hopefully the next gunsmith had the respect for the gun to not do the work either.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my opinion every M1 deserves respect as if it was a military shrine.

Without this rifle---the world would be a different place & I would not be on this earth.

phil Berkowitz

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I know it's your rifle, but you cut a cartouche's stock M1 ??? The money you lost on cutting the stock was more than the price of replacement stock.. oh well, to each his own... ENJOY........ Grubby

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Yes, it's his gun and he can chop it up all he wants but when you shoot the Garand, you're shooting a piece of history and that's why most people buy them. He doesn't have a Garand any more. If he wanted to shoot a 30-06 there are plenty out there that he could cut all to hell, put a RAD2 on and shoot away. Why do you pay that kind of money for a historical rifle and then muck it up like that? Good luck to him, hope he enjoys it, but he's going to find it something he can keep forever.

RM

ps - not sure, but his modification may prevent this rifle from being used in any official match.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And no one here has the obvious answer.........

Get a different stock to cut and save the original.

I just sold a period correct 1944 with all the right markings in great shape.

The buyer was happy to pay over a grand for a Garand.

HM

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=avatar.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Whoa! Some of you people need to really chill the F*&% out! I do what people ask me to do, most of the time. Yes, sometimes I get rather bizarre requests and yes, there have been instances when I've told someone NO. Not so long ago, one of the locals came to me with his Savage 99 take down in 250-3000, complete with factory leather case and he wanted me to mount a scope....."No, I will not" I told him, "some things you just don't do". Another was a factory Remington 32 Skeet gun in beautiful condition, the guy wanted an adjustable comb....another "No".....etc.

To me, it's just a Garand, nothing special, NOT rare and he wasn't comfortable shooting it the way it was. Not a big deal.

Jb

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Stock looks to nice to be original, maybe a new CMP (I think they come with some sort of cartouche stamp). Anyway, original M1 stocks are available all over the place. I bet the whole gun is a CMP mixmaster of parts. If he didn't cut the stock it's easy to replace the metal back to original.
    Shoot the thing, have fun, and if needed,look for a replacement stock down the road.
    There is a lot of history in that gun, respect it.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What a bunch of sanctamonious experts who come on here and belittle and ridecule the man who was proud to show off his new toy. It's his rifle, he made it so he could shoot it in comfort but no you had to come and rip him for doing what he wanted.

7m3 you must have brass balls because I have put many rounds through an M-1 and I wouldn't put it in my groin.

Don

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Its his gun and he should enjoy it. So some collector value was lost - big deal there are others. Besides, who said he has any intention of selling the rifle?

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I recognize that M1 it's the one Sgt Stryker carried up Iwo and was holding when he got shot in the back by a lousy jap I remember it like it was yesterday. What a disgrace.

[​IMG]

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I know a guy who had a soft top put on a Win 21 and then even had it ported.

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That's about as low a recoiling high power as ever was. Saw an instructor put the butt against his chin while demonstrating it to the recruits. If your tendons are that weak, better get a 22lr.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Guess I won't show my Colt 1911 made in 1939 with Military markings that my Grandpa had re-blued before giving it to me as a gift. It won't leave this family anyway so what does it matter?

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Big Don,

Why yes, yes they are and they do clank when I walk.

The good news is our fully engulfed OP can simply replace that stock with one of the CMP cartouched replacement stocks when he comes to his senses. I don't think the one Tron butchered was was anything special.

Joe...that was almost as bad as the time the late Dave Sawyer cut a comb in a Model 21. Ha...got your msg, btw.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.