1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

m1 garand question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotshow, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotshow

shotshow TS Member

I first would like to apologize because I know this has nothing to do with trapshooting but I am building an M1 Garand and I am about to order my barrel and receiver, well sarcoinc sells barreled receivers headspaced and everything but like always they are out of them and won't be getting them in for a while. Well I called up the local gunsmith and he said he could headspace it for $100. I also called NU LINE in St. Charles, MO but of course the guy is on vacation. So I am wondering, is $100 a lot to pay for headspacing? And if anyone knows how would NU LINE charges for headspacing I would also appreciate an answer for that. Thank you

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Finding a good gunsmith is not easy. Having said that, before answering your question I need more information about your purchase. Is the barrel already installed on the receiver? Is it short chambered? Are you buying two separate items that need to be put together? HMB

3. shotshow

shotshow TS Member

no the barrel is not on the receiver, yes it is short chambered, and yes they are two seperate items that need to be put together

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Shotshow: I would guess that most of the cost is for the installation of the barrel in the receiver. This involves careful alignment of the sight/gas port, which may involve machining either the barrel or receiver to get it tight but aligned. The headspace will be set when the short chamber is properly deepened, which is done after installation of the barrel. I have had several such jobs done, and 100.00 is a pretty average charge for a good gunsmith.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably not what you want to hear, but why not get a CMP gun and be done with it? There'll be plenty of tinkering left to do even when it arrives at your house. You can chase matching parts on ebay. Redo the stock. Convert it to an M1D and on and on. Most of the major headaches will be solved already and you can at least enjoy the rifle. Stay away from rack grade guns and buy the most expensive model you can afford. Granted, it is a little bit of a crapshoot what the gun may be, but if you luck out a get one of the better ones, you'll be dancin' in the street. Good luck.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

stokinpls, that's just what I was going to recommend. There are some nice M1's out there for sale, but hands down, CMP is the place to buy your first M1. It would be even better to go to the CMP store and pick out your own.
    A few years ago I decided to buy my M1 from CMP, back then they offered what was called a "Select Grade" I had to wait awhile till one showed up but I ended up getting a freshly rebuilt H&R with a brand new stock set. It's a shooter and I didn't have to do anything but clean it and load it up.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/?action=view&current=leftside-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/?action=view&current=rightside.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The price is good. Just be sure he knows that he has to fit it and headspace it. HMB

8. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

Just don't stick your thumb in there when its together.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I wouldn't let " the local gunsmith " touch it unless he is experienced with M1's. Also one doesn't just call up the CMP and order a rifle. You have to be a member of an affiliated club and jump through the proper hoops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.