1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

M1 Garand question-for the pros.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi all,
    I have an M1 that does something a little different when loading a clip in it. It is kind of a nice thing that prevents "M1 thumb" from happeneing, and was wondering if it is common. When I push the clip down into the rifle, the bolt lurches forward just a skosh, and stops. Then, I hit the bolt handle forward and its ready to go. I've always heard about the M1 thumb thing, but is that because those fellas are really slamming the clip down hard so the action doesn't have a chance to lurch and stop like mine? I'm curious about this. This is a nice complete 1943 Springfield that has all its parts still. All original. Shoots like a champ. Has never faltered in ejecting or operating in any way- it does need a good take apart cleaning; maybe this has something to do with the action not slamming home all in one motion. Maybe I am loading the clip daintily. I don't know. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! And oh yea.....I got crappie jigs for sale in case you want some.

keep it safe, keep it open. -powderburn
  2. ken1okie

ken1okie Member

That's typical. I shot highpower with one for years.
    They are sneaky though.....
  3. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

The "M1 thumb" mainly came from manual of arms exercises. However, it has happened with live and blank ammo. One needs to be careful when loading the Garand.
  4. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing Powderburn, so maybe they fixed it after a while
  5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

M1 thumb usually occurs when releasing the bolt without loading
    it. Your Garand is operating normally. It usually takes an assist
    when loading the first round.
  6. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

I have 5 that will "bust" your thumb quick as a wink.

powderburn, how did you come by the "all original" 43 Springfield? That would be a very sought after and valuable M1.
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

I got the M1 thumb in 1962 when I went into Marine Boot Camp. It hurt but I only did it once
  8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

M1 thumb is a punishment for being an idiot for releasing the Op Rod handle before getting your thumb out of the way!

:)
  9. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Member

Get yourself a fresh op rod spring from Fulton or Wolff and see if that doesn't put your thumb back at risk...

K
  10. MR870

MR870 Member

A friend of mine owned a gunshop and I would hang around to help out some.One day we had several customers come into the shop at once and two older gentlemen asked me if they could see the M1.I cleared the action and handed to one of them.You can always tell a prior service rifleman.With fluid precision both of the men handled the rifle.They pulled the bolt back looked inside and then catching the bolt handle on the back of their hand pushed their thumb in to release the bolt and at the same time rolled their thumb and hand out of the way.Both of them said in unison M1 thumb.Another customer who wasn't with them asked if he could look at the M1 so I handed to him.Yep ya'll know what happened.He copied the two Old Breed Marines but didn't get his thumb out in time.Mashed thumb with busted fingernail.I've been told it hurts like missing the nail on a board and hitting your thumb with the hammer instead in full swing.
  11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Active Member

Uhhh yeah, it hurts! Most folks learn after the first time and never let it happen again.

Your M1 works just like the several I have had and the one I still have. Insert the clip, then the bolt needs a slight push to seat the cartridge. You can also pull it back a bit and let it go and it will chamber the round.

I have never had one that closed on a loaded clip like they close when empty and have never heard of anyone getting the M1 thumb loading one. Only when releasing the bolt on an empty rifle.

Did I mention that it hurts?

Bob
  12. powderburn

powderburn Member

Thanks for all the good comments guys. Looks like Everything is normal -whatever that is! -powderburn
  13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

M1 thumb is nothing. If you dropped your rifle, you had to sleep with it (with the action open). Ugly visualization there, LOL.

HM
  14. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Member

Johnny,
    I have an all original 1942, with the exception of two parts in the trigger group, yep an she was not re-barreled in the 50's either!! I would certainly sell it if someone wanted it.
  15. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Chipmaker, Unfortunately it is two parts short of a serious collector but it is a candidate for a "correct" rifle if has the right parts. Still nice and desirable. It is possible there are more of those out there than people realize, liberated by passionate warriors and squirreled away.. That stuff is out of my league, too expensive. Mine are strictly the rebuild type, like a cur dog. Haven't shot one in 10 years but it was a fun hobby.
  16. omgb

omgb Active Member

I was going to mention this earlier but did not. If you are going to shoot that gun it would be good to replace the op rod. The original rods were prone to failure at the point where the rod doglegs and the spring engages the rod. Not all of the rods were but enough that you wouldn't want to chance a problem. Op rod failure can be fatal. I saved my original 1945 rod and keep it with my M1 just for fun. Mine was a frankin-gun and more worn out old war horse you couldn't find. I had it rebuilt and restocked to National Match standards by the Fulton Armory. That was 8 years ago and she still shoots great.!
  17. ctreay

ctreay Member

We have 10 of the old girls at our Legion Post for the firing squad. Only 2 of us are that familiar with them. No matter haw many times we try to show the guys how to load them somebody always gets caught. We also have a few old 03-A3s and some have trouble with them.

ctreay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.