1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M1 Garand loading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Planning to load a little .30-06 for an old friend, he has an M1 Garand. I'm looking in the latest Hornady manual and they show separate loading data for the M1 Garand that's generally lighter than the regular .30-06 data. Anybody here have any idea WHY?

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Pressures too high can and will bend the op rod. You need to watch the bullet weights too. Too heavy will also cause problems.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Higher velocities and/or the wrong powder can bend/damage the Operating Rod.

Stick to the recommended loads.

4. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

hot loads can bend op rods, and generally beat em up. stay below 180gr bullets.

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

The Garand was designed to operate with IMR 4895 powder or its equivalent. This keeps the muzzle pressure in a tolerable range and won't bend the long operating rod. There are several powders in this burning range that will work fine. Just don't try to drive the bullets too fast and the thread above about staying below 180 grain bullets is good advice. My typical load using 4895 is a 168 grain Sierra Matchking or equivalent at no more than 2700 feet per second in a match conditioned rifle. The old M2 bullet at about 152 grains will work well if kept to about 2800 fps. Ditto any of the 150 grain sporting bullets.

Johnpe

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have worn out numerous Garand barrels with 47.5 gr Accurate 2520 behind the 168 SMK in Military brass, I use the same load in Commercial hulls. Accurate 2520's nickname is the "Camp Perry powder".

Pushing the 168 at around 2750 will work well, forget the extra 100 or so FPS.

Use a faster powder, below max, and keep bullets under 180 gr.

7. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

That many Camp Perry shooters use Accurate 2520 powder to earn the nickname of
    "Camp Perry powder"?

SM

8. Shooting Coach

"2520 is our “Camp Perry” powder and is extremely popular with many service shooters."

Snarfed from the Accurate Powder site. It IS popular with Service Rifle shooters. Also a winner in 308 with 168-175 gr, and 223 with 62-80 gr.

It is my go-to powder for precision rifle loads in 30/06 and 308. Premier in Marlin-only 35 Remington and a favorite in my Husky 8X57 Sporter.

Truly a superior powder. Measures closer than a scale can weigh it in my Uniflow.

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's guys for the information. As per your advice I'll be using AA2520 or IMR4895 and keeping it within the "Garand" data.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And remember!

Garand rhymes with errand.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

and the G is pronounced as a
    G not a J.

12. northern mist

northern mist TS Member

I have loaded this cartridge for high power, use no slower powder than IMR4064. Acurrate 2520 is a very good powder choice, varget also works. Keep velocity in the medium range 2700 fps for lighter bullets or under. I used Winchester large rifle primers, be careful to seat them to spec, due to possibility of a slam fire. Hornady A-max bullets flew well for me, 168 gr. Hornady Manuel has special section for the M1. Also check Sierra's Manuel, has special section on gas guns. Pm me for more info.

I will give a good place to start.

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

My standard .30-06 load for my Garand is 45.0 gr of IMR 4895 with either a 150 gr M2 spitzer or a 147gr M80 boat tail.

Both bullets are available recycled for .10-12 ea when there is no hoarding going on.

I use these bullets for about 50% of my Garand and 03A3 shooting. The rest is done with cast boolits Lyman 311299 over 25gr of 5744.

Since I live in CA and Camp Perry is a long drive these loads suffice very well for shooting in local CMP and club matches.

They are easy on the gun, at about 2550-2600 fps for the jacketed bullet and 1750 fps for the Cast Boolits. The cast load won't cycle the action but a hotter load of 35 gr of IMR4895 will and they feed and shoot accurately for a few cents each. I shoot the full 600 yd NM course with the jacketed loads and the short course, all targets at 200yards,with cast.

And please don't comment on how shooting cast boolits in a Garand will clog up the gas system. It is complete BS! There are many at Castboolits.com who do it every weekend. I only do it every month or so.

I don't believe in hotrod reloading. And especially for my nicely re-built Garand with a NM barrel. These loads were taken from the Hornaday manual and the Cast Loads are from Venturino.

I doubt any but very high level shooters could tell the difference in accuracy between using recycled bullets and Match Quality bullets. Your pocket book can damn sure tell the difference, and you get to shoot more which makes you better shooter, which is what all of this is supposed to be all about in the first place.

Save the .50 cent bullets for when you DO get to go to Camp Perry.

Randy
    wrbuchanan_2009_1912103.jpg

wrbuchanan_2009_1912117.jpg

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Same general advice applies to M1A - just 7.62x51 rather than 30-06. Middle range pressures In Nosler, etc loading manuals and I like Varget and BL C(2) as well as 4895 for both 150 and 168. I also apply a light crimp.

15. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I forgot to mention the crimp. The .30-06/.308 kind of needs one. In fact any cartridge that is fired in a semi auto gun needs it to keep everything in place.

With the cast boolit loads I use a roll crimp from the RCBS seating die I removed the seating stem from. I seat all of the bullets/boolits with a RCBS Comp Seating die so the standard seating die is available to use as a crimp only die.

This is all done on a C&H Pistol Champ H frame press, so I can charge, seat the bullet, and crimp each round individually, yeilding a completed round. All charges with IMR4895 are dropped by a Lyman DPS powder dispenser.

I have recently started using Lee Collet style crimp dies for crimping jacketed bullet loads for all of my .30 cal guns and the .223 also. The collet style crimp die is less affected by overall case length than a roll crimp is. and as such you get a more consistant crimp from it.

I recommend removing the collet from the die and deburring it so there are no sharp edges where the slits in the collet were made. Lee doesn't do this? What this does for you is it allows the collet to make the crimp without leaving any burrs or sharp edges on the case mouth. It just yeilds a better product.

The crimp looks just like a factory crimp. I guess that's why they call it a factory crimp die?

Randy
    wrbuchanan_2009_1912118.jpg

wrbuchanan_2009_1912129.jpg

wrbuchanan_2009_1912130.jpg

16. Shooting Coach

In my experience this set is a necessity for loading bottlenecked cartridges. I have been know to snarf up hulls at the range. Almost all of my 223, 308 and 30/06 hulls were not fired in my rifles.

One can consistently resize the case with correct headspace. Backing the die off the shellholder does not account for press stretch.

I prefer to move the shoulder .001" shorter than chamber. The Garand, M1-A and AR guns should close on a cartridge with no resistance. This means the bolt must be disassembled and installed in gun. Tools are available for this.

You only have to do this once for each gun as long as same shellholder and die are used.

FWIW, I do not crimp ammo used in the Garand/M1-A unless bullet has cannelure.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp die if bullet has cannelure, always for AR-type arms.

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

How about small base dies? Needed or no?

thanks!

18. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Not normally, I've never used them.

If you have a gun with a very tight chamber then the extra few thousandths might help you. But if the gun will feed and fire factory ammo then there shouldn't be any reason for the SB dies.

Randy

19. oz

oz Active Member

that cast bullet pic looks very long....will it feed from the clip? OR is it a .308???

20. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

It feeds just fine.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2520 168 m1 garand

hornady load data for m1 garand

hornady m1 load equivalent
loading data for m1 garand
lyman 311299 bullet loads for garand