1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M1 Garand F/S, very nice one

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

M1 Garand F/S, (1944) very nice one

Selling for deceased friend's widow, 1944 Garand, not a parts gun.

SA armorer's cartouche, National Match sights(this is a $175.00 adder I believe), single shot adaptor, bolt protector,sight protector, in a Doskocil brown hard case, not the cheap black one.

I am not a Garand expert but if you have questions I will try and get answers.

$1200 plus shipping to your FFL.

Tags:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This is the only ding on the stock, the dark line seems to be part of the wood.

More pics available, email if interested.

HM

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I hope you don't mind but I notified a bunch of Garand nuts about this gun over at- www.http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=109
    They are alway interested in one like this.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the serial number is in the 2.5 or 2.6 million range it is correct for the barrel date and the stock cartouche. That makes it highly desirable collector item. The stock looks to be in nice shape. I'm not up on current values but I think it's worth more, maybe twice that. IF the serial number matches.

4. halfmile

Learning.......thanks to a fast internet connection. This one was made in December of 1944. The 2.5-2.6 mil numbers were assigned to Winchester, and they seem to be wanted by collectors.

I don't believe this is a National Match, shouldn't there be a "NM" stamping?

The GAW cartouche is correct for the period, C. O. George Woody died in Nov '44 but they continued to use his mark till March of '45.

This gun appraised at 1200 without the sight package or other goodies.

HM

5. halfmile

That's a good site, says this one is 12/44 or 1/45 Barrel is marked 44. Everything is correct as far as I can tell. Only thing I don't know is were the National Match Recevers marked? I thought they would be.

I didn't measure the trigger pull either. This was interesting, digging for info.

HM

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You might want to hold off selling the gun. Call the Washington DC dept DMC and see if there is any papers on the gun. It might be its a N.M gun from the gov. If so its worth alot more then you are asking. You can call the NRA and they will have the number for you. Don't ever sell something like this till you know what you have. I feel you have under priced your gun. Back off and do some homework.

7. halfmile

OK, I agree. We are going to be on hold here for now, but all emails will be answered and serious offers considered. I will seek more info.

Didn't know this was such an invoved thing. I like it.

HM

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I was not aware that the DCM or CMP has sold out.

9. halfmile

They have welded up drill rifles, but no real ones. They say they will have more soon.

HM

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Let me put it this way. I have a M1 Garand that is a field gun but in great shape. I was also very lucky to be a proud owner of a N.M near mint type one Garand with papers. I have not shot it but I have been offered a nice sum for it but what ever the price I could not ever replace it for that amount. Much higher then what your asking on yours. That is why you could say am pushing the matter. I hate seeing someone sell something for a widow under price. She will be the true loser not us. Here are two web sites for you to go through. Good luck and let us know how things come out for you all.

www.garandcollector.org

www.jouster.com

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

halfmile, the barrel looks to me like it says 2-44. Is that correct? Where do you get Dec 44? Springfield production for the month of Feb 44 ended with Serial number 2634316. The serial number for this Garand should be about that. There production of barrels and receivers ran very close to the same dates.

Winchester and SA serial numbers overlapped. SA used numbers assigned to Win.
    SA and Win Garands have been observed with the same serial numbers.

Also other things determine the value like how much of the rest of the gun is original. If all the numbers and parts match up it may have somehow escaped arsenal rebuild. Not likely but possible. That would be very rare.

12. halfmile

Garg, agreed. The learning curve is steep right now, and there are lots of fine points. the garand collectors site is gca.org, must have changed recently. I saw several links to your syntax and all came up not available. Yours works if you substitute "garandcollectors" with "thegca".

Jerry: serial no on jouster's site shows dec. 44 or jan 45.

I found great cartouche info on trfindley.com/pgstkrest.html, excellent site.

I would assume barrels and receivers would not necessarily have the same date of manufacture, since they were working in millions of units and full warehouseds of parts. But, a newer barrel than the serial number of the receiver whould indicate a "mixmaster" gun like some of the later DCM stuff.

I appreciate the pointers from you guys, for sure. And....being a trivia type guy, all this information is a hoot. Thanks.

HM

13. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Sorry for the old web site. I'm what you call a pack rat of info. I look at things this way. I may not need it now but I just might later. Thanks for pointing it out.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

halfmile, The receivers and barrels were being made concurrently. There was a war going on and those things were being cranked out as fast as possible. Both parts would have been made very close to the same date. They won't vary much. They didn't make a supply of barrels and then wait for the receivers to come along. Or vice versa. There was no warehouse full of parts.

At one time I was into collecting Garands and have a big stack of reference books. The best ones are by Scott Duff. scott-duff.com

For your gun to have greater value the receiver date must match the barrel.
    For a barrel date of 2-44 the receiver should have a serial number between
    2543412 and 2634316 or close to that. I can see that the stock matches barrel date. Some people like to search the earth for the correct parts to assemble Garands to original specs. These can be of good value but not as much as an original. Most all Garands have been through an arsenal rebuild at least once. The parts were all mixed together, originals are scarce.

Does your serial number fall within the range I listed?

15. halfmile

This one is in the 3.4 million range, apparently 12/44 or 1/45 according to the tables. Jouster website says 2.3 mil to 2.5 assigned to Winchester.

I guess I have to find a garand expert in our area and take it to him. It very well could have been a rebuild, but no parts are postwar so who can say?

All I know is this one is head and shoulders above the mixmaster DCM guns I have seen my other friends obtain.

HM

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

halfmile, bummer. I was hoping you had a match. Yes, 3.4 million puts the receiver at about Jan 45. It's been rebuilt somewhere down the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.