1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M1 Garand Expert

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Joe Woods, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I just received a Garand & do not know much about it.
    I had better check for markings and report. Like to take pictures
    But wait & see. Gun is in good condition.
    I have not put value on it yet. No scope.
    It has a mount on left side at location of joint between barrel,receiver.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Are you looking to sell? or...

3. Joe Woods

0   0   0

At the moment it is a consign gun, It is owned by a friend. I have a Lee-Enfield & this Garand. I think it is a Sniper Rifle without the scope.
    This is a guess. Putting a value on it is one part off the thread.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

I start the bid at $350.

In the dark.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

You will need to do some research on that one. Genuine sniper Garands have value. Lots of counterfeits though. Post the serial number and make and you may get lots of info here.

6. Joe Woods

0   0   0

This gun resides in Ontario, Canada. Can not be exported back into USA.
    Not attempting to dangle carrot.
    Thought that trapshooter.ccom experts would assist me in identifying this gun.
    I know pictures would assist. Not sure I can post. But I have friends.

Thankyou

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

From the (very) brief description, it is likely an M1D sniper garand (barrel block for scope rings on the rear of the barrel). However, whether it is a "real" M1D or just one of the many (probably majority to be found today) made up M1Ds cannot be determined from your brief description. That depends on originality, close review of all markings (on metal, woood, etc) and even that probably cannot determine for certain. In any case, the collector rule generally is that unless it is documented (that is, has actual papers from the CMP or its predecessor, the DCM) to show that it was actually made by the government as an M1D) it is likely a "put together) and its value is no more than the value of the individual sniper rifle parts. The value of a true, documented M1D is generally twice or more than that of the put togethers. In any case, value depends on condition, whether all parts are actual M1D parts (there are many repro parts, including the barrel/block combo), fake stampings, etc) so only a close inspection by a qualified garand collector could likely tell for sure.

Jim R

8. Joe Woods

0   0   0

Thankyou Jim. I do understand, Very busy with my business & gun descriptions & photos have been taking a back seat. I will come up with info/photos.

Thankyou Gentlemen.

Joe Woods/Ontario

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

0   0   0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34RqMoyMZmI

cool little vid of a sniper garand. Its to bad this cant be inported back. Even a well done Sniper model is cool to have.
    try above link for some of the best No BS info on milsurp firearms.....better make some coffee the reading can be lengthy

http://www.scott-duff.com/M1D.htm more info here. I would look deep into this gun for it could be worth a good amount if proven to be real

The CMP (civilian marksmenship program) here in the us has some M1D sniper models for sale.... with scope mount only for 1500.00

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

What brand name is under the rear sight?

11. Joe Woods

0   0   0

Springfield is behind the rear sight. Been to busy to take pictures.
    Also I have not found camera.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

Garand Collectors Association, Mash on the link.

HN

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

We now know it is a Springfield. The serial number would be a good starting point. Without the serial number this discussion goes nowhere.

14. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

0   0   0

Why would the serial number be relevant in determining if this is an M1D? Unlike the M1C, there are no specific serial numbers or blocks of serial numbers associated with the M1D (or for that matter, a specific maker) The M1D was simply a converted (rebuilt) standard garand, requiring only the installation of a the M1D barrel/block, plus dthe special handguard. That, of course, is the reason it is almost impossible, absent proper documentation, to tell an actual government made M1D from a later "put together", as long as the individual used original parts.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

jimrich60 , You are right. Unlike the M1C, the M1D could be anything. Without documentation it won't have value beyond the parts.
    Without the serial # what's left to talk about?

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

I am pretty sure this is NOT a real M1D. My reason for saying this sight un seen is that if it came from the CMP it has been rebuilt for sure. Add this to the fact that virtually all M1 out there are rebuilds anyway.

I am very good friends wtih the guy who rebuilt all of the Arlington Ordinance Garands about 15 years ago.

He did 25,000+ and everyone had previously been rebuilt by an assortment of arsenals.

Point being the likely hood of finding an Original Garand of any type is getting slimmer every year. Sure they are out there, but they were few and far between to begin with. Good original ones are usually stuck in Collections especially original M1D's.

The Obama Admin is keeping a bunch of Garands in limbo from being re-patrioted from Korea right now. All were rebuilt before they left here in the first place.

My personal Garand is a SA and was rebuilt as a Tanker by my friend above in 1994. I just redid it again last summer with a NM barrel, a different gas cylinder and op rod, and a new stock, so I could shoot NM with it. But there was no two parts with the same SN on them on the gun to begin with.

Most are parts guns, and all of the CMP ones I have seen lately are definately parts guns and they are even supplying them with brand new Boyds walnut stocks to boot.

There are also aftermarket scope mounts for M1's like from B-Square which could be what you're talking about, and as stated above repops of the original barrel block, and also like stated above without convincing documentation the tide is going out on this one.

You need to have a promenent/reputable collector/appraiser verify your gun's status before you jump off any cliffs. Everybody is still looking for that 3rd Luger in .45ACP too. Whoo knows it may just turn up?

Randy
    [​IMG]

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

If the barrel date matches the receiver date that is a big plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.