1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

m-12 and 870 flat shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KRK32, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I was in high school when i shot my 870 comp I used .010 shim stock and would wrap it around the outside of the barrel where it went into the receiver to tip up the front of the barrel to get it a higher poi. Kirk

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

BeBop- i have used both guns over the years. In my case every trap grade model 12 i had shot higher than the 870 tb. I am a 870 collector of only trap grade 870's. if you want a higher shooting model, the early 870 trap grade guns from the 50's and early 60's that had the different type rib on it than today's 870's, this barrel actually shot higher,plus the chokes were longer. some of the early 870 competition models shot high too. it depends on the type of rib, and how the choke were installed. if you can find the old type barrel and rib you will be all set. by the way, if you ever find a barrel marked improved mod, by it, great barrel. also if you can find a 34inch trap barrel, they are absolutely smoke poles. some of the nicest wood was from the 60's and early 70's, tb's and tc's. the type to purchase are the stocks with an orange tint to the wood.
    steve balistreri

3. ismah

ismah Member

My Classic Trap 870 patterned at 60/40. Don't know what the Express model does.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I do believe most Model 12 Trap guns shot around 60/40 . I remember alot of guys shot off the end of the barrel and got them up to 70/30 or more . I never could shoot that way and a flat shooting gun is not for me . I have a very clean Model 12 Trap but just can not shoot it after shooting 90/10 guns .

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hey BeBop,
    did u purchase a 870 that u were looking for?

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shoot a field grade 1100 with a standard 30" full fixed choke barrel and I float the bird just off the top of barrel. Works for me.

7. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

All my 12's and my 870TC shoot as flat as a pancake. I like pancakes, especially with maple syrup from Vermont.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have a couple of 870s and a bunch of Mod 12s....all I know is that they shoot where I am looking!

Touching the bird, or floating the bird, is the best way to stay out of a shoot off!

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

hmmm I have a TB with a barrel marked "Trap Mod" . I assume that is the same as the Imp Mod?

I does seem to require covering the straightaway bird. and I assume that a high shooter is only needed for a straightaway because on an angle bird, you are looking at the bird and pointing to a spot in front of the bird, the same as covering it up?

10. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I have had the exact same experience as senor smoke

Model 12 guns shoot a tad higher than old 870's and a whole bunch higher than the new 870 Classic.

My 870 Classic actually shot low - not flat

Even the Browning reproduction of the Model 12 (20 gauge) shoots higher than a new 870

Or at least that has been my experience.

Now, I have a Remington Model 31 with a bent barrel. Now that is a high shooter !

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, my 1187, which for all practical purposes is dimensionally the same as the 870, was flat shooting at 50/50. I would fire as I was running over the bird with the muzzle.<br>
    <br>
    Cured that wimply by going to a monte carlo stock. Now it's 60/40 and I fire as the bead is almost at the clay.<br>
    <br>
    If you want more, put adjustable comb hardware on a monte carlo stock.

12. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I have an 870TB that shoots somewhere about 90/10. I didn't count every pellet hole on every pattern board, but its in that area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.