1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

M-1 Garand help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hairy, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairy

hairy TS Member

I had a farmer customer bring in a Springfield Garand. He says it would only shoot one shot then the bolt stays back. I tried it also and that's what it does. I know nothing about these. Anyone have any likely causes? He has two of the clip-shell holder things and they both look unused. I've not had it apart yet, but looking into the action, it's looks nearly new.

I've a few hundred rounds of old '06 ammo that I'd like to burn up.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Is it possible there is someone out there who does not know how to load and shoot the M-1?

Try loading the clip with eight rounds, put the clip into the gun, watch your thumb, and shoot the most enjoyable self loader ever made.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Some of the very earliest guns required that the first round be on the RIGHT side of the clip. These guns were fixed a LONG time ago.

Most Garand shooters load the clip so the first round is on the right.

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It doesn't matter. Almost all M-1s that saw service after 1942 were made so that the clip could be loaded with the first round on the right or left. Anything you get from CMP will be that way. (all the rifles are picked through first)

Is the bolt locking back after the first shot while the en-bloc clip is inserted? If so, you do have a problem and it needs to be addressed by an M-1 gunsmith - like Fulton Armory, for example.

Also, if you are firing single shots - get a S.L.E.D. (Single Loading and Ejection Device) - which is a ten dollar part. Basically, it's an en-block clip cut up with tabs bent to allow one round to be inserted, loaded and have the bolt lock back WITHOUT having the clip jump out of the rifle for the one shot. Using the SLED greatly reduces the chance that the rifle may "slam fire" when shooting as a single shot.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Go here and ask that question,
    www.http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=109

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fill the clip, and push it down into the maazine well with your thumb. It would be cool to hold the bolt back with your other hand so you don't get the dreaded"M-1 thumb". That way you can close the bolt gently.

The clip will fly out and the bolt will stay open with the last shot, so you can push in another clip and kill more Japs.

HM

7. GRR

GRR TS Member

Hairy....Your M-1 is out of time. This a defective bullet guide. Obtain a new one or repair the old one.
    Take it out and lay the small hump end on a anvil (flat side down) and peen it with a hammer, 2-3 good hits. That little hump is wore.

The bullet guide is the part that the operating spring guide goes though, it's simular to a Z.

Hope this can help. Gary

8. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

If you want to know about M1's, get in contact with Scott Duff, 724-327-8246, and/or see his website at www.scott-duff.com. He has written several books on M1's and arguably knows more about the rifle that anyone except John Garand.

Ranger

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

grr could be right or the op rod is rusted have seen that on rifles that have not been used in a while rick

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I can't add anything useful here, except to say, when you talk about this excellent piece of US military firearms history, please pronounce it correctly!

It's GEHR-und, not gu-RAND

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tron, Dumbfounded, stupified look??? That should be real easy for you.

Jim

12. hairy

hairy TS Member

GEHR-und...gotcha. I actually didn't know how to pronounce it.

Thanks for all the idea's. I've not had a chance to mess with it yet....maybe this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I notice in your pic you don't have the bolt pulled back enough to lock it in place. It's easy to get M1 thumb if you don't know how to release a garand bolt. Hold the op rod handle back with your right hand fingers extended down, pinky side against the op rod handle. While pushing down the follower with your thumb bring the op rod and bolt forward enough to release the bolt past the follower, then move your thumb and gently close still holding with your pinky side.

The first thing I would do is dismantle it before firing again is clean thoroughly and inspect all parts. Try a 45 degree tilt test without the op rod spring before putting back together. Make sure to grease properly. The 45 degree test will show whether the bolt or op rod is binding.

I've included a link to the TM manual that will be very helpful. The manual describes every aspect of garand maintenance, and how to service each part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.