1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lymphoma in dogs My Pearl

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

My wife lost two Westies to this cancer.

The first dog died about two weeks after the disease was found. The dog was given steriods and then had a stroke, went blind and deaf. The Vet said there was nothing more to do, but make her comfortable for the rest of her days. When I could put up with her suffering no more, I had her put down. That was in 2003 and the little dog lived to be 13.

The second dog we found it a little earlier and give it chemo. We were at the vet every week and give it a series of treatments which was an IV one week, a shot the next, then pills, the the IV again. The dog lasted about a year and the cancer was declared in remission after treatment, but returned about 3 months later. This vet resumed treatments, but the cancer would not respomd to treatment like it did before.

The last day, I noticed the little guy was not as happy and responsive as he normally was, which was about every day of his 10 year life. I took my wife to the airport that morning and told her we need to make a decision about the dog, but she said she wanted to wait until she got back.

I spent the entire day watching the dog get weaker and weaker. He was restless and could not get comfortable. He would lay down, get up after a few minutes, move, lay down, move, lay down and on and on. His rest periods would last only 15 minutes at a time. I picked him up to take him outside and found him as limp as a rag. Rushed him to the vet and he was foumd to far gone to be saved. He was gone 30 minutes later. That was in January 2010.

2. Rick Barker

The dog that got Chemo, seemed to behave just like he did before the cancer and chemo.

We could not tell a difference in his behavior until the end and in that final 12 hours he went faster than I could imagine.

I do not think he knew he was ill and therefore it did not it change his living.

He always was a fussy eater, but during his illness, he got a lot of eggs and chicken in his diet. So, he ate and kept his weight up, which seemed important to the vet.

I would boil a whole chicken, then mix it with his regular food. The vet said I could also give him roasted chicken as well and he really loved that.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My son-in-laws wirehair seemed to respond well to the steroids the first time, but she is now going through another series after a year and a half or so. Time will tell I guess. She is now about 10 years old.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me, an uninformed dog owner, just what he first noticed symptoms are so I can be aware of what to look for to catch a problem a early as possible.

Thanks,

Joe P.

5. Rick Barker

swelling of the glands around the neck, just under the jaws.

there are also two on the rear legs.

the vet removed one on a rear leg to do a biopsy to confirm

above web site address explains it very well.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You'll know whats the right thing to do and when...main thing is not letting them suffer because you love them

7. eafbtrapper

eafbtrapper TS Member

Many years ago, we had a seven-year-old Belgian Malinois named Winston. We found a knot on his neck about the size of an olive. We had it tested. It wasn't anything. A couple of weeks later, we found a knot on the back of his leg. We had it tested. It was cancer. What we had found first was the sentinal node, before he got cancer. He was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer. Our vet told us he'd lost a dog with lymphatic cancer as quickly as two weeks, and had one that lived six months with the help of chemo. We started chemo the following day. He also was prescribed two Prednisone a day. They gave Winston half a Valium to chill him out before they did chemo. That first week, he got an AWFUL sinus infection. We got antibiotics for him and he quickly got better. We did chemo every three weeks. He would be really tired for one day about a week after the chemo treatment, but otherwise didn't have any adverse effects. Pretty soon, chemo was just a part of his life and he didn't need the Valium. He was happy for them to pet him while he was getting his treatments. He'd walk out to us with his tail wagging. The protocol was for his blood to be tested each time he got chemo. We didn't do that. Without the chemo, he would not have lived, so we didn't care what the labs said. We did have his blood tested every six months to give the vet data for future patients. Each time Winston came out of remission, we changed chemo protocols. We had nineteen more months with him. The Prednisone never caused any liver or kidney damage. He did gain a lot of weight, but part of that was us deciding that we didn't know how long he had, so we gave him lots of treats. His treatments ended up costing approximately $7,000. It was well worth it to have the nineteen more months with him. We knew in the end that he was coming out of remission...he had swelling in his lymph nodes again. We decided with our vet to try to get him back into remission for 72 hours. We weren't able to, and had him euthanized. In the end, the cancer had spread and we weren't able to beat it.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info.

Today I was involved in running a Sporting Clays shoot which was a fund raiser for our local Dog Park and its Therapy Dog program. On August 4th this year the park is conducting Geert's Canine Cancer Walk. This is a fund raiser to help support cancer research in canines. The walk is named after one of the first therapy dogs in our area. Geert succumbed to cancer much too early in his life. All funds raised are donated to the University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine to a special fund for canine cancer research.

If you are interested in Geert's story and short life and the Canine Cancer walk, you can read about it Here

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sick puppys make me very sad...

10. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

A dogs metabolism is much higher than human metabolism which makes cancer treatment a real challenge. I have to remind myself that I am keeping the dog alive for me and not the dog but it is hard to do. So much to say about putting down a dog but I will leave it unsaid as my eyes are already watering. Good luck.

11. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

Put my golden down last year with this cancer,the UofM told us that they have never seen so many goldens recently with this cancer,they were on their 2nd year reseaching this,bottom line is over medicating our pups,rabies,lyme,topical tick chemicals etc.

Vet gave me 6months after the chemo treatment for our pup,@ 10years old it was'nt happening,made it 3 months.Sad deal...

1st sign something was up for us was lack of appetite and weight loss.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

still praying for her & you copper. Dont give up on her yet, she will never give up on you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lymphoma in dogs westies