1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lyman dies question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mulls427, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Will Lyman dies fit an RCBS Rock chucker press? They look to thin in the pics I received. Thanks to those that know:)) Mike Mullery

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Mike, there all interchangeable in the 7/8 dia. size. Lyman did make a junior die which is about 5/8 dia. and will only fit the junior press and the 310 hand tools.

3. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Thanks Toolmaker that helps me tremendously!! Mulls

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

99% of all dies are 7/8-14 thread. Lyman truline jr dies are a smaller thread but there is and adaptor that allows their use. I think Herters used some other size thread but undoubtedly it was superior to anything anyone else ever made and was called the "Herter's Model Perfect Ultimate Cree Guide Association Approved Loading Dies, none finer anywhere".

Load a lot, shoot a lot. Use your manuals and start 10% down from maximum loads.

5. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Thanks Stan! The seller doesn't know what he has lol so I'll take a chance and if they are the true line jr's I'll ask you about that adapter:)) Mike

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If they are 310/truline dies, for handgun, they will require the cases be lubricated to size them...a pain to do..you'd be better off getting modern dies (and be sure to get a carbide sizing die in the set) and if they are rifle dies they will only neck size, not full length size. The old trulines were fine as they go but to full length size you had to buy a solid steel cylinder sizing die, lube the case, drive the shell in with a lead or plastic mallet and then drive it out with a rod.

I loaded many 22 hornets with a set like that and wince every time I think about the hours spent driving cases into and out of that steel die.

7. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Thanks Stan very good advice. I didn't get the Lymans got outbid lol.I did get
    17 RCBS sets very reasonable on another auction though :)) Mike

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Savage99Stan- Wasn't the old Herter's catalog fun?

Pat Ireland

9. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Savage99Stan-The exception to your 10% rule is Hodgdon H110 and Winchester 296. The website warns not to load these under 3% of the maximum load.

Joe

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Lyman makes a real nice expander die (standard thread) which allows you to screw your powder measure (standard thread) in the top of the die. It has a vast array of expanders for pistol calibers included with the die. Bought one from www.midwayusa.com Darrell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lyman 310 dies in a rock chucker

will lyman dies fit rcbs rock chukar press