1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lying with statistics - need your help

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by crusha, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

So I'm riding home yesterday listening to the pinko NPR news report, and the guy says according to a new poll from the commie research think-tank (Pew), Obama is ahead by 8 pts....but adds the following:

"The poll was of 3,000 people, which included 2,400 registered voters..."

Now how am I to interpret that?

That 20% of the poll was likely voters, and the remaining 80% unlikely?

...or, the first, cynial thing that popped into my mind - that 20% of the poll respondents may not even be _registered_ to vote at all!

Just wondering what these misleading wretches might do, to try to make it look like Zero has finally cracked 50% support. Surely, you don't think they'd include 1 in 5 respondents who aren't even registered to vote, to create the illusion of inevitability, would you?

Puzzled,

buzzy

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What they didn't tell you was how many were Democrats, Republicans, or Independents. Might make a difference. HMB

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Why were you even listening to BIASED NPR in the first place? I'm sure there are other news stations in your area.

Chuck

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Years ago a friend who worked as a Statistician told me that there are 3 kinds of lies:

Lies

Damn lies

Statistics.

5. Garry

Garry Active Member

They polled 3,000 people of which 2,400 said they were registered to vote and the other 600 said they were not registered to vote. They still time to register to vote if they choose to do so.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

During the 2008 presidential election, there were 132,645,504 total voters out of an eligible voting age population of 212,702,354, which gives you a 62.4% participation rate.

Of the 212,702,354 who were eligible voting age population, 169 million were registered to vote. Of the 169 million who were registered to vote, 86 million were democrat,55 million were republican and 28 million were others.

So the percent of registered voters who actually voted was 78.6% (133 million divided by 169 million.

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have heard on several news reports that the votes in the election will be counted by a Spanish company. Does anyone know for sure if this is trun? BK

7. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

If you torture data long enough, you can get it to admit to almost anything.

Play Dead

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I am so sick of the commie news media in our country and how they report what they want to report instead of being unbiased. They twist the truth and report things with slants that make you wonder how much Obama is paying them.

I wouldn't put it past them to fake the numbers they are reporting on the air. How would anyone dispute their election numbers? Has anyone been polled in this election yet that's on this website? I have doubts for everything I hear and read coming from the media. If you want to see a real commie website, go visit the Huffington post online.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Gotta agree with chuckie on this one. WTH you doing listening to _____________?
    Did you lose a bet?

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Bernie K:

I volunteer for our Congresman and have been asked that by a few folks. Here's what I was able to find after digging:

A US based software company called SOE Software was recently purchased by another software company based in Barcelona, Spain. It appears SOE does provide vote counting software for several states and jurisdictions -

http://www.soesoftware.com/.

Maybe this is somehow connected to what you are hearing, but I found nothing to specifically indicate "...the votes in the election will be counted by a Spanish company." Maybe SOE furnishes software to some states etc., but they are a US company.

Gene in Illinois

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Boy...if they are wrong about this, they are really setting themselves up for an epic fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.