1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LURKER ROUNDUP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's been a couple of years since we've discussed Lurkers on this site and it's about that time of the year to smoke them out of the wood pile once more. Who are these people and why do they just read our posts in the shadows and not participate? What can be done about them?

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view┬Ąt=lurker.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Round them up and run them out of town. They read and learn the lingo then they post stupid things trying to stir up trouble. It's amazing that shooters respond to some of them as if they are their long lost kin.

Get a rope.

Don

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Some just don't want to pull their weight, I guess...

4. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I am not so sure that they don't want to pull their weight. i read this forum almost daily but don't post very often. I think that most people don't want to give bad advise or mis information.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

"It's easier for people to think you are stupid.. than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..".. Mossy Tregg 1971

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OK, I'll bite:

They are the people who are interested and might be willing to join you and try out the sport. Why not invite them to your club !

I am sure Trons post was in jest but many who read it are serious. Why assume the worst? The world is full of friends you haven't met yet. What do you think this website is for?

Who among us would put a lamp under a bucket?

regards

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Some are better left to lurking - 221 comes to mind...

Ed

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Interesting very interesing

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My personal opinion.. which is worth very little tells me.. many of the people I met at the GRAND..who enjoy my posts.. and those that are written by people who are useful and kind .. are afraid of being attacked by those who are not so kind.. Easier to DM directly to a knowledgeable soul and prevent the bashing many get here.. The sit back and lurk..

Quite a few of these people are friends of mine who I've shot with over the years.. It's not uncommon for me to get a call..asking me to look at post XXX and tell them what I think...

No one like a mean drunk.. Most people just want a thoughtful answer..NOT a bashing..

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tron, it may possibly be do to you and you alone! Your critical views, unsurpassed attempts at humor, and undeniable sarcastic wit are just alittle more than some mortals can withstand...

11. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Guess the artificial lures are not working so good right now so live bait is in order. Right Joe?

12. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I lurk to learn more about our sport and am fairly new at it. While I have been told that there are shooters from other diciplines that occasionally post whose opinions cause a reactionary response on forums such as ours, it can't be any worse than those generated within the group. I can choose which threads I would like to read and can ignore the others. Gotta love freedom of choice.

Don't have enough time or money to participate in registered shoots, but I do shoot locally when given the opportunity. I've seen enough egoists and snobs to know where I don't want to be. Got no time for that crap. I shoot trap to have a good time...and I usually do. I also try to get other women interested and I have.

Lurkers are not a problem, they're just quiet for their own reasons. I lurk, I learn, I shoot. Lurkers don't usually start trouble because they're QUIET and know how to back arrow out of a disagreeable thread.

Thanks for your time. Break 'em all!

Charlene

13. Shooter100

Shooter100 TS Member

I think from my experiance of only one post. PerazziBigBore
    Has it right on. I was in error with the post but the responce
    was anything but kind. I won't try that again

Harry

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Those that come and read to further their knowledge and advance their abilities are and always should be welcome. Ask your questions, some of the dumb replies are from "lurkers". Sift out the good from the bad, just like life.

Those that come and "Lurk" to gain knowledge of the language and then do there best to disrupt the site to me are the PITA's. 221 is a prime example as Ed said, just see his stream of comments on the release trigger thread.

Don

15. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Ditto what Pheasentmaster said. In my humble opinion Tronney is a jerk. BRG(II)

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The lurker is the ultimate in trophy big game fishing. The presentation must be absolutely perfect and the tackle has to be light enough to detect even when the hog is near the bait. Smoking them out just doesn't work.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Haux, leave my guppies alone and quit acting like Neil.

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Tron, You must be afflicted with Guppy love.......

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I completely mis-read the post. I thought it said "LUNKER ROUNDUP". My bad...

PS - 221 needs to hit some table tennis sites. Let's vote. All in favor say "Aye"? "Opposed"?

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.