1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lujtic dislikes Gun Clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

My mono gun dislikes reloaded steel headed gun clubs as they won't extract or eject spent rounds. The MEC Supersizer helped a little but they still hang up quite frequently. I polished the chamber with no change. I like to reload the GC hull but may have to go to STS if I can't ID and solve this. Suggestions?

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Some of the older guns came with very tight chamber diameters. My older Mono Gun dislikes steel hulled Remingtons but seems OK with Fed or Win steel hulls. My later Pro 3 will shoot and eject them all, brass or steel. I believe the cure may be to have the chamber bore opened up a little. Contact Jimmy or Mike at Ljutic and I'm sure they can fix it.

There was a post similar to yours about a year ago that had several suggestions. If you do a search you may find the posting. Marc

3. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Briley Mfg. Co. can fix this problem for you. Yes, this is the same company that makes the choke tubes; give them a call. They did both of my Ljutics several years ago and all types of shells eject like rocket ships. You should know up front that they will sleeve the chamber to fix the problem, so if you are opposed to that, it would be a deal breaker.

4. jbshep

jbshep Member

Always has been a problem with Ljutics.
    Al Ljutic told me to get over it and shoot shells of the same quality as your gun.
    Brad

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Longhorn:

I probably won't word this exactly right but some guns use a combination of mechanical leverage plus spring action to eject empty hulls. Citoris are an example. Other guns depend solely on spring action. Ljutic's and 90-T's are examples of spring only. They can be notoriously picky about ejecting steel hulls.

Some of the spring only guns hate steel hulls from the git go. Others develop a problem later. For a dozen years my 90-T would shuck any steel hull I fed it. Over time and a jillion shells, it developed minor corrosion at the receiver end of the chamber. Now it won't eject steel hulls for love nor money.

I'm not aware of any cure for these guns except JayZap's suggestion. Doug Braker (GunDr) and Briley are among those that can install a chamber bushing/sleeve. A bushing will eliminate most of your problems but I doubt you can get a 100% guarantee. After a bushing is installed, these guns still depend on a spring.

sissy

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My Silver Seitz feels the same way about Kemens, Rios and any other steel-based shell. I found I had to have a knife ready at the line to pry each hull out. The steel doesn't retract after expansion the way brass does. Do what jbshep recommends. It's also what AIM recommended when I asked.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Its not the chamber that causes steel hulls to hang up, its the seating diameter of the base. The base is what catches.
    How do I know. Dennis D, the man who makes my guns told me so.

Phil Berkowitz

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Try replacing the extractor spring if you haven't already done so. The springs tend to take a set and shorten after a while. Bob

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

my 90T would not always eject and I polished the chamber ( which was slightly rusted) it now works well 99% of the time...

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

My Mono (11XX s/n) has no problem with Estates, Top Guns new or reloaded, but it will not eject WW steel rims. Go figure. My solution was to avoid WW cheapies and use the ones that the gun likes.

Semper fi,

HBT

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The only shells my Ljutic dis-liked were Rio Shells, all others worked w/o a problem.

I think that if the rim diameter was enlarged, that is made in a larger diameter the problem would go away. Not the chamber.

My Seitz has very few problems w/any shell.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

My Bill Cole SBT will only extract Estates or Top Guns in the steel base configuration. All the others stick in the chamber with Rios and Gunclubs being the biggest offenders. JRm

13. elinvar

elinvar Member

Ljutic can install a stronger ejector spring- This helps some times- Only real solution is the briley route or quit shooting the ones that stick.
    Rio's stick in my Pro-3 and had a Nobel sport stick in my Mono last week- Mostly reload STS so no problems.

Terry Jones

14. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

There are lots of material specs. for steel that goes through a draw die. The die that is making the WW head might not be able to run the material that is run through a gun club head die and visa-versa. The more draw quality that steel has,the more expensive it is. Most companies that order draw dies want to use the cheapest material that will go through the die and not split or gather material. Most of you have seen pictures of a manufacturing plant with a warehouse full of giant steel coils waiting to be blanked and formed into saleable parts. That picture can be a fooler because everyone of those rolls might be a different specification steel. A part that is simply blanked,can be the lowest quality material that you can get through the die. A part that is a total draw or has drawn areas,will require higher"draw quality" material. A shell head is a "draw" and a "upset". The draw for the diameter and the upset for the rim. From now on when one of the cheepies won't eject, Don't cuss the gun. Cuss the bean counter that made the tool makers run that crap steel from China in their draw dies.
    Something that will help is to Do as the tool makers did when they were developing the die. DON'T GO ROUND AND ROUND WITH ANYTHING INSIDE THAT CHAMBER.
    Polish the chamber parallel to the bore. A shell doesn't go round and round inside the chamber. It goes in and out. The draw areas of a die are always polished in the direction of the draw. If it is not,it will allow the material to gather/build up and eventually cause the piece part to tear. I polish a chamber with wet or dry emery and minerial spirits. I start with 400 then 600 then 800 and finish with 1000.
    Let me know how well this works for you.

Respectfully,

Patrick Swartz

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

My Ljutic ejects Estates and Top Guns fine. It sometimes works fine with Gun Clubs. Sometimes is the key here. It might eject 400 without an issue and then stick every other shell for the next 50. It also dislikes the Winchester steel bases. For brass bases it shoots new Gold Medals fine but after reloading them a few times they start sticking because they have higher brass than Winchesters and Remingtons which all work fine.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Yes it does.....mine dislikes Gun Clubs, Top Guns and Supertargets...so I shoot AA's in my X73.....@$80/flat. No other choice up in Alberta...no access to any other brass headed trap loads....

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

A word of caution fwiw...

After discussing my sticky hull issue with one of the previously mentioned gunsmiths, I was told removing material from the chamber creates way more problems than it solves.

I probably should have asked "how much is too much", but didn't. However, he was very clear that any method which removes steel (he specifically mentioned emery and hones) should be avoided for sure.

Anybody considering a home remedy might want to discuss the subject with a smith before maybe making your problem worse.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.