1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky at gander Mountain

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by len loma, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Going to brag about this. Good Friday I was looking for a remington automatic shotgun for my young daughter to learn shooting with. Found a 1100 with a new syn stock and limb saver recoil pad for $269. The receiver and barrel had been spray painted with heavy coats of tanish gold paint and then painted flat black afterwards. Runs all over. Even the trigger and bolt was painted. Bore was spotless. Well I thought about it and figured I would strip paint and have gun smith reblue it. What can you buy for that price? I enjoy working on them so I tipped and bought it.

Gun smith was doing a batch of guns next week so I had to strip it yesterday. Brushed on paint remover. Looked for steel wool but I was out. After a while paint lifted off so I used a tooth brush to remove paint from metal. To my surprise the receiver and barrel had a deep rich blue color like it came from the factory. The trigger guard was caked with paint so I had no choice but to apply stripper to it also. Figured it would lift factory paint. Stripper remove spray paint and left the factory paint in perfect condition.

I have the gun all cleaned up and it is beautiful. I would rate it at 97% condition. My daughter will get a gun to be proud of that will last her a life time. A pleasant surprise indeed.

Any more stories like this?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I found a gun one time in a trash barrel, the guy missed a target and while holding the barrel of the gun tried to wrap it around a utility pole and it was all beat to hell ... I took it out of the trash barrel and glued the pieces back together that I could find and put the barrel in a door jamb to try and get it straight again ... Once I was done with it I painted it a gold color and sprayed flat black over it so could not see the pieces glued together and sold it as a custom made Italian gun which was fine until the guy who bought it stripped the paint off of it and he found out it wasn't even an Italian gun let alone custom, but it was one of a kind ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And shame on you WPT!

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

more clay: You sure fooled me by the title of this post!!

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Devil made me do it ... But there was a gun in the trash barrel and we did take it out because the guy did exactly what I described to it ... Nice level headed, easy going guy, yep thats what he was ... Never did see him again and some say it don't pay to pray ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Well,let's see now. I was in a gun shop in Missoula,MT. Saw a scope in the garbage can. The reticle was in 4-5 pieces & the body looked like someone used it to split bricks. Asked the manager if I could have it. Yup!!! $3 shipping $ a $10 bill got me a new scope worth $80. Gotta watch out for those garbage can & painted gun stories. Tom

7. petey

petey Member

I seen her break a few targets with it in Jefferson on sunday, good job!!

pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.