1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lubricating locking lugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Do you lube the locking lugs on ALL break-open guns or should some be left to run dry?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, I lube all the locking lugs/bolts. One reason is to make sure the bolt is fully engaged, there's nothing worse than a half engaged locking bolt. With the same token, I let the top lever snap close at it's own spring power.

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Yes I do

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do not lubricate locking lugs on a Ljutic. Do lube Perazzi and Krieghoff. Roy

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I had heard that there were a few guns that you don't lube. I have never been able to let my locking lever just snap over. I normally close the gun carefully and push the lever lightly into the fully locked position. I am sure everyone does this a different way but I would think one way is better for the gun.

6. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Hey sarge,

So, most of the people sponsored by Perazzi must be "stupid or ignorant" according to your post.

I have seen just about ALL of the top Perazzi shooters close their Perazzi by "flinging the barrels up" to close their shotgun.

I know your response will be "well they get parts for free".

I DO believe "slamming" it shut is probably not good, but letting the lever close on it's own (without your finger on it) can hardly be a "don't ever do this" type situation.

I am talking about a Perrazi shotgun. If they are that "fragile" then I doubt they would be so popular.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

People say things like use your thumb and other bs because it sounds good . You just close it .

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

...I just close my BT-99. I don't slam it shut by any means, I just go until the lever snaps over. I'd like to think the guns were meant and designed to work like this, so why would they have problems because of it? Josh

9. cls

cls Member

One gun you should avoid greasing the locking lug is a 90T. I really don't believe it's necessary on any break open gun myself. While it is a wear point, it's not much of one. cls

10. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I just thought that there might be some different opinions on this. Seems like about 60/40 right now. I shoulda' just asked Giacomo when I saw him at the Southwestern Grand.

11. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Perazzi says to use grease to lubricate the lugs.

Karl Lippard says to use oil instead of grease.

Giacomo and Karl Lippard say to hold your thumb on the lever as you close the gun.

I use grease and I close the barrel without holding the lever over.

I'm not sure which is the best way, but I do it the way I do it.

Bruce

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have never ever slammed a gun shut, if you want a loose sloppy gun, slam it sut and it will get loose as a goose and rattle like h*ll. Ljutic says not to lube their locking lug with grease, Denny told me to spray a very, very, light
    spray of oil on it. If you use grease the gun will jump open when fired, or open partially. I believe it is the design of the Ljutic opening button as their is not a pivoting locking lever like the Beretta and Perazzi and others.

I use CMD on the hinge pivot pins and the Forearm where it pivots on the reciever to keep it from gauling. I think I spelled that right.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

No, the Gauls were a Celtic tribe that lived in what is now France, Belgium and Switzerland. Julius Caesar beat up on them from 58 to 51 BC

Galling is a form of surface damage characterized by a transfer of material from one metal surface to another during sliding contact.

Carol Lister

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Carol, that fellow Julius certainly had a lot of gall, eh?....Bob Dodd

15. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Carol, that fellow Julius certainly had a lot of gall, eh?....Bob Dodd"</blockquote>
    I would have thought that it galled Caesar to have spent so much time in Gaul!

Carol Lister

16. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>Here's a quote from an article in Skeet Shooting Review between Todd Bender and Krieghoff’s head gunsmith, Norbert Haussmann.</blockquote>

There is additional substance on the topic in the next paragraph:

<blockquote>"T: Is that an often missed spot?

N: Often missed. People always say my top latch opens hard. The simple solution is just a little grease on the barrel where the top latch engages it. The other area is the lug, which is the main holding part of the forearm to the action. It is where your forearm latch snaps in. There is no need to over grease, just a light film on these areas. In the hinge pin area, you do not have to go into the hinge pin cutout, because the pressure of the action it will move into these areas. You don’t have to go crazy, but it is better that you over grease than under grease. Now with the K-80s, which have case hardened actions, we do not see galling on mono blocks. It was a bigger issue with the K-32s because they were not casehardened. That was the main reasoning behind case-hardening, to get that surface more durable and we achieved this. But it is still important to keep these areas around the mono block clean and lubricated. These are the main concerns for outside greasing."</blockquote>

Carol Lister

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I lube my locking lug on my BT-100; been doing that on my BT-99 for 28 years and it still locks up tight. No signs of any wear and still tight. I thin out white grease with STP and clean it off with Hoppes #9 after shooting. It's important not to let abrasives contaminate the grease. BT-100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.