1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lube for stainless?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WNCRob, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I have a shotgun, about 5 years old, and I am startung to get a little galling where the receiver rides on the hinge pin...both are stainless. Is there a superior lube for a stainless on stainless application?

Thanks.

WNCRob

2. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

Yes there is. I believe the name of the grease is called "RIG". It is the grease that Rugur packs with each of it's new guns. Tim M

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Click above.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

RIG is designed to be a rust inhibiting grease and it works very well for preventing rust. For lubricity, the key is keeping the lubricant clean. The specific lubricant used is not very important as long as it stays in place. A large tube of white grease from a farm store or even a quart of non detergent motor oil will work fine.

Pat Ireland

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I use KY Jelly. Have a good supply and too old to use it for anything else.

Gne J

6. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I'd guess that flincher100 is an American hating liberal.

7. Duck

Duck Member

trapshootin hippie,

Got a kick out that!, I'm told a couple of purple diamonds and you can pole vault into action?.

8. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Not all grease is the same. I formerly thought it was.

Spend some time on the internet searching gun lube or grease. You will find there is an objective standard created by the Timkin Bearing Co to measure load bearing, heat tolerance and adhesion. A discussion of this topic is at:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=125039&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cmd&start=90

Sta-Plex, extreme pressure, premium red grease is the best. And not very expensive: 14 oz for $4.00. Auto supply houses.

Now, will someone on TS.com claim to know more about grease and bearings than the Timkin Bearing co.? Absolutely. But if you want the best...

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Rig + P stainless lube is the best!!!Now then Ruger Red labels are Stainless to carbon steel you can be your own judge!Bill

10. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

There is a great lube made for the slides of autoloading pistols called "slide glide" It is sold by Brian Enos the accompolished action pistol shooter. I was told by SV (the guys that made my SV Infinity stainless gun) that it was the best for slides. I have been using it and liked it so well that I now use it on several of my guns. Brian has 3 thicknesses #1, lite, and a thicker one for high ambient temperatures. I mostly use the #1. This stuff is very slick and it stays on the metal very well. There is lots of information on Brian's web site brianenos.com

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

charlesk80- The information on the site you gave us is very good, but hardly applicable to shotguns. A good bearing lubricant needs to work well at 1000 PSI, rotating 3,000 times per minute at high temperatures. A good gun lubricant needs to work well under 3 pounds of pressure, rotating 1 time per minute at low temperatures. It would be difficult to find a lubricant that could not meet all of our requirements.

flincher100- I was referring to the original RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) and not the new RIG +P Stainless Steel Lube. I do not know if the new RIG grease is formulated for stainless steel guns or is just marketed toward stainless steel guns.

I retain my position that the type of lubricant is not too important but keeping it clean is very important. I have frequently made good abrasive compounds by mixing an excellent lubricant with fine dust.

Pat Ireland

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I appreciate everyones input. As a former USPSA pistol shooter, I recall when stainless slides and frames became popular. Galling was a problem initially with S/S, but not with stainless/carbon frames/slides. Over time, stainless lubes have evolved and I suspect the metallurgy of stainless gun parts has, as well. At any rate, the galling issue seems to be behind us...for competition pistols. My Ljutic is stainless/stainless, and last week after shooting the NC State Championship on Saturday (200 rounds), upon cleaning my gun, I noticed that my red synthetic grease lube had turned to black/brown and was much thinner in consistency that I would have expected. I also noticed a very small bit of galling in the receiver where it rides on the hinge pin. At any rate, I am changing my lube and will clean and re-lube each 100 rounds from now on. I will also check out the lubes recommended in this thread...many thanks for eveyone's input.

WNCRob

13. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

PAT ...The obvious response is that if it is good enough for 1000 lb of pressure at 3000 rpm, it is never stressed for our uses. Which makes it the best by any standard. I know of no other grease which is so objectively over qualified.

Timkin knows bearings. It gives it it's highest rating. The standard it uses is objective and accepted in the bearing industry.

As I predicted, there are other lube favorites, but only one is the best.

Which is not to say that your prescription re clean bearing surfaces is not the best observation on this topic. It is. (The best lube, if not clean, will make the best abrasive. For the same reasons: it sticks and does not melt at extreme pressure or temps.)

But, objective testing does separate grease performance. STA-PLEX Extreme Pressure red is the one to get.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I beleive Pat is right, If you clean every time you shoot , there is no abrasion and almost any lube will work. There are shot guns where it is more critical about how long you can go without lube or cleaning. You must learn where your shotgun wears and pay strict attention to those points at least. If your gun is clean and lubed where it needs , then you are doing all you can do. Safety is no accident , and you can not be to clean or well lubed. Jeff

15. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Wheel bearing grease

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

charlesk80- You may have over simplified the performance of lubricants under different conditions. A lube that works best at high temperatures and pressure, may not work very well at low temperatures and pressure. A lubricant that serves a NASCAR racer well would not work well in your personal automobile and would quickly fail in an automobile used in North Dakota in January.

With our shotguns, there are two independent lubricant factors we need to consider. First is adhesion (stays in place) and the second is lubricity (slick). As temperature increases, adhesion decreases and lubricity increases. Adhesion can easily be increased, but this also decreases lubricity.

Pat Ireland

17. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.