1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lube for 1100 Remington

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stumpstalker, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

The instructions for the 1100 say to take out the trigger group and just spray it with Rem-oil. Is this OK as I plan to clean out the trigger group every month (4-500 rounds) or should the group be cleaned and lubed more often?

Carmine

2. BMC

BMC Member

Depends on the ammo you use, but in general it is a good idea to clean the trigger group every 500-1000 rounds. If you let it go a little while you'll see there is a lot of unburned powder that makes its way down into the little nooks and crannies of the trigger group. I've found that spraying it down liberally with CLP or Rem oil, then let it sit for a bit, then spray it some more and finally hit it with compressed air to blow everything out works good. You want it oiled, but not oily. Excess oil just traps everything that falls past the bolt which in the end can cause more problems than if you didn't oil it.

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I've been cleaning mine for 30 years by blowing the assembly out with compressed air, then brake clean or solvent, then a good soaking with WD40 followed by blowing off of excess oil. Any quality oil will be fine, 1100’s don’t really care what brand of oil you use. I’ve shot a case of shells through mine during waterfowl season without cleaning before (normally don’t), no issues at all.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Clean trigger with Gun Scrubber, dry with compressed air, use needle oiler to lube ONLY the pivot points (hammer, carrier, etc.). Too much lube only attracts powder residue.

I remove the trigger group every 500 rounds and just blow it off with compressed air. I do the Gun Scrubber thing maybe every 2000 rounds.

Jim Skeel

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

When unable to use an ultrasonic cleaner, I will wash the trigger assy in kerosene, brush it out, clean it again and blow it off with compressed air. The kerosene works well to lubricate the trigger and it isn't too oily. Mineral spirits works almost as well.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Kerosene is an excellent cleaner for trigger assemblies..... and most other metal gun parts too.

Easystreet

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

An old gunsmith gave me this way to clean trigger assemblies many years ago. Spray the assemlly down with WD40 then run hot tap water over it do this three or four times then dry and lubge with good oil not WD40. Works great for the last 30 years.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I must be the odd man out. I clean it once or twice a year or after shooting in the rain...

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use the wife's toothbrush and dish soap with hot water. Blow it dry and lube with remoil.

10. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

BMC and HUSKY44 have it right. You probably need to use the break cleaner or solvent only once a year. I don't care for WD40 so I use Kendall CML, but they have the procedure down pat. A good wash down, then a soaking, then blow it dry with compressed air. That leaves enough lubrication on the trigger group to keep it functioning properly but not enough to make it sticky. Been doing it that way for over 30 years with ZERO trigger repairs.

BTW, if you happen to have one of the Timney all steel triggers, the procedure is the same. I might balk at putting my Timney in the dishwasher though!

The Bayrat
    Erol Tucker
    POC, TX

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I must be the odd man out. I clean it once or twice a year or after shooting in the rain..." Me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.