Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt. Mod choke from 16 yards?

21K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  Birddogfella 
#1 ·
Dear folks,

Went to the club by myself the other day experimenting with several different variables. Tried a Light Modified Briley choke tube in my Browning XT from the 16 yard line. Broke 49/50 and most broke with authority. (We are using biodegradable targets so me don't get many "smoked" birds.) I was shooting 2&3/4 dram, #8 Gun Clubs.
What is your opinion of this option? Was this a fluke, or is the Light Modified enough choke from the 16?

I appreciate your input. Martinpicker

#5 ·
Can't answer that, but I've shot some of my best scores with 2&3\4 DE #8 GCs. Don't know how they would be from the back fence as I never shot them beyond 23 yds. I used a fixed full choke in a Rem. 31 TC.

I do reload them & have just as good results as with STSs. Ross Puls

#8 ·
I am with Mike Campbel and I think that it may have been a fluke. You were spraying and praying.

What do you usually shoot, choke and score?

Being that you are experimenting with a Lt Mod choke, I would assume that you are not an A or AA class shooter.

I suggest that you try and shoot an Improve Modified for a while and see if you cannot run a few 100 straights.

Jason

#11 ·
Best not to listen to others advice. You really want to know what will work best for you ? Then spend the cash and buy 4 chokes for your gun. Shoot 100rds with each choke. PAY ATTENTION to the breaks. Check out how the clay breaks when you know you were centered on it. How does it break when you know you might have been just a tad off perfect aim. Keep track of score. Pattern each choke on paper using a common shell. All this information should give you your answer - of which choke you prefer to use. The best part is - you will have CONFIDENCE in knowing you have tried them all .. and you are using the best choke for you, your gun, and your shells. Alot of effort, but well worth it in the end. and for what its worth - I use IM at 16 yds (1-1/8, #8, 1145)

#12 ·
I was told by Pete McCall personally that he used LM for 16yd shooting exclusively. By his own account, he had a record of breaking something like 2000 straight in registered ATA events before a miss. Obviously, good shooters can use tighter chokes and run a bunch regardless. So if you want to use a LM for singles, have at it! I personally find that I like to practice with a tighter choke(IM)so that I don't get sloppy with my shots in singles. JMHO

#13 ·
I have come to believe that less than Imp.-Mod. is no advantage. Two questions: How many targets did anyone suggesting lt.-mod. shoot in the past 4 years, and what is their singles average? And what choke do the top ten singles shooters in the country shoot?

#14 ·
Martinpicker - Almost every Sunday afternoon I shoot 16 yard singles with a Browning Citori with a Briley Light Modified flush mount choke tube in the bottom barrel. I use 2&3/4 dram, #8 shells like you do (Estate or Top Gun, the Sportsmans Warehouse down the street doesn't carry GunClubs). That combo is the cat's a$$, dad - I'm tellin' you!!

#15 ·
Thanks to all of you who have responded. I really do appreciate you opinions.

Just to answer a few questions that have arisen: I am certainly not a AA shooter, I came back into the sport year before last after a 30 year hiatus. I am a C-B class shooter at present. Trying to raise my average.

All winter I have practiced with a Briley extended XF choke. Scores have been mostly in the twenties with a couple of slips in the cold or wind. Last year I shot the IMOD in competition.

Getting ready for the 2013 ATA season and I am experimenting on my own, not at the suggestion of someone else.

I am going to try the Light Mod. in a practice shoot again this morning to see what the result is. I will let you know. Thanks again, Martinpicker

#18 ·
I agree with sarge. It is the performance, not the label that should guide our choice of choke. I find that with my gun the outcome shooting with a Carlson EF choke is better at any yardage than when I use any of the 5 chokes that came with the gun. The bore is .740" the EF choke measures .695".... I am shooting 1 oz at about 1200fps with the Green Duster... Larry

#19 ·
I bought a Remington 90-T last February on this site. I haven't shot it much due to a hand (finger) injury that is now healed pretty well. Last Sunday at our club we had a back-up shoot. Well to make a long story short, I was in the shoot-off for 1st place. I have a light modified choke in the gun. The shoot off was from 28+ yards. We were standing somewhere on the grass. The first three missed (Tron was one of them HAHA) I called PULL, Out comes this miniature little orange thing barreling along at close to the speed of sound, I'm not making this up either. So by the time I located that thing in my sight picture it was probably 50 yards away (maybe a half mile) I pulled the trigger. The gun came out of the recoil so I could see what was happening. I smeared that thing about the size of a quarter from easily 60 yards. So I guess a LM choke works. LOL

Chuck

#23 ·
I've used LM in our winter league for 16's for very windy days...In my mind there is a definantly edge of forgiveness when they are dancing around...also with my shells shot through Brileys, the patterns are all consistantly one choke spec tighter by percentage than whats on the choke....LM definantly shoots MOD patterns...I settled on the MOD in my CG for everything..total smoke @16..and still pounds them from 27..the CG IMOD and LF are bullets that make clouds from any yardage

#24 ·
Sarge wrote,

"it's unimportant what the tube is stamped with...what is your pattern density and uniformity?"

Agree, my 391 (overbored optima barrel) shoots a 75% pattern at 40 yds with the modified extended-tube choke using AA shells. Plenty of choke for the 16 yd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.