1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowry targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tidioute, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tidioute

Tidioute TS Member

I've ben informed that the Silver Dollar trap club will throw Lowry targets instead of white flyer targets for the Dixie Grand. I understand that the price difference between the white flyers and the Lowrys is significant.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

They are good targets! Jake

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I was told this past Sunday 12/07/08, that ALL ATA Trophy shoots at the Dollar will be with White Flyers. JRM

4. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

The Silver Dollar will be throwing White Flyers for all reg shoots this winter. AS per the manager of the club. End of story. Jess Crofoot Thank God

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I thought this post warranted the trusty BSMETER:)

FRedmon

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Lawry Shooing Sports/ Caledonia ,On. have a quality target.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Lawry targets I have shot (only a few times at one club) were less than ideal. It is possible that I just got to shoot a bad batch.

Pat Ireland

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have seen, Lawry targets intact on the ground with 4 or more pellet holes in them---is this common?

Lou

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have seen White Flyer, and several other brands intact on the ground with four or more holes, is that common?

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Yes, unfortunately it is very common to find intact birds on the ground with multiple pellet holes in them. Walk the 45-55 yard line sometime and you'll see.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

This was published by someone (not me) on this site a few years ago!

Top Ten Ways that a Lawry Target can actually be shot.

1 – In the HOT Summer.

2 – When it has not rained in about 1 month.

3 – When the targets don’t stick together.

4 - When the targets are actually round.

5 – If you can see the poorly painted things.

6 – If you Stand on top of the trap house.

7 – If you find it easier to shoot them when they are orange on top and black underneath.

8 – If the machine isn’t clogged with broken targets.

9 – Everyone on the squad shoots at the same time at the HARD target.

10 – You can still afford to shoot after the American Target Business that you work for has gone belly up because the Canadian Company Lawry’s sold their targets for no profit just to undercut you.

FRedmon

PS - I broke 100 - 91 - 98 shooting Lawry's at the Gastonia GC several years back - FYI

12. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

fredmon is bang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now take that lawry target and move to north to canada chill it to -25 then shoot it, it ends the 7.5 vs 8'ss argument

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I broke 100 - 91 - 98 shooting Lawry's at the Gastonia GC several years back"

"I SHOT SOME LOWRY BIRDS A FEW YEARS AGO AT A CLUB IN MD."

That was then this is now. It seem strange to me that when discussions about change comes up the people that want to change something say that those that don't are living in the past. Well from the comments here I guess the past is a common place to live.

My suggestion to all that are talking about several years ago is try them again before you pass judgment. Maybe you all think that the Lawry Co is staying in business by living in the past. By not addressing the perceived problems that fit the 10 statements above.

I can say that they sure beat the hell out of the AA BIOS I have shot them both within the last year. Not several years ago as spoken above.

One other thought I will leave you all with. Every one complains about the number of shooters in the shoot off at all the major shoots. When I target come along that is perceived to be more difficult to break. No one wants to be man enough to say. I shot them several years ago and they needed improvements.

Sometime I am not so sure that the efforts of those that are at least trying to make the ATA better are deserved by some of you.

Just give the person asking an honest answer and let them decide. Don't run the options down with ancient criticism

Bob Lawless

14. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I shot White Flyer bios for several years in MA and would take them over Lowry's anytime. I have been shooting Lowry's for the last 3 weeks and they are just as tough to break now as they were in 2003, the last time I shot them at the Holbrook club in MA. Returning to a more difficult target presentation is a far cry from lowereing scores by using targets that don't break when hit with 10 or more pellets. We have retreived several Lowry's in the past three weeks that were hit with 10 and more pellets leaving holes evenly dispersed over the target and still in one piece after hitting the ground. JRM

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Do they still have a .10 cent deposit on boxes?

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

perga1

"Returning to a more difficult target presentation is a far cry from lowereing scores by using targets that don't break when hit with 10 or more pellets."

That is very true. In the first place making the target presentation more difficult only favors the more gifted shooters and does nothing to aid the less gifted.

Therefore no change but the targets that you describe do not discriminate they are an equally hard to break for all. If that is the case and I am not convinced.

"We have retreived several Lowry's in the past three weeks that were hit with 10 and more pellets leaving holes evenly dispersed over the target and still in one piece after hitting the ground."

That is interesting. What is more interesting is when was the last time you even looked to see if the same is true for any other target that the club was throwing.

When I said "I can say that they sure beat the hell out of the AA BIOS" I was referring to the number of broken targets after shipment. We have had a lot of trouble with breakage in Bio targets.

If you shot Lawry targets in 2003 you shot a vastly improved target over the late 90s. Singletary was the first in Mass to throw Lawry targets and I am talking before the turn of the Century Those were tough targets to break.

Bob Lawless

17. labman1

labman1 TS Member

I have shoot White Flyer targets for about 35 years in all conditions, in Conn ,Mass, Texas Japan and Washington state. They are a great target I have found them with 5 holes 7 holes and they were not broke neither. I now use Lawry targets and have found no difference If you hit them, they will break .I've found them with as many holes as the white flyers. The one thing i find interesting is that the man who has set the standard for targets thrown at the world skeet shooting championships has stated in the May issue of skeet review that the Lawry target is a good target but that it could be a bit harder. I find it funny that so many people say it is too hard a target while the guy who's business it is to know and test them says the opposite. Hmmm who is right? And no thewre is no deposit for the boxes any more.By the way so as to be above board, i sell Lawry targets here in NC and i do so for one reason only they are just as good a target as white flyer and you can save money too. i'D CHALLENGE ANY SHOOTER TO COME TO OUR RANGE AND SHOOT TRAP OR SKEET AND BE ABLE TO TELL ME WHICH TARGETS HE OR SHE SHOT IN A BLIND TEST. I'D BE VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING THE RESULTS.MAYBE THEN WE COULD MOVE ON AND CHAT ABOUT BETTER THINGS THAN WHAT WE SHOT 10 YEARS AGO AND HOW BAD SUCH AND SUCH TARGETS ARE.

18. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Today December 10th, 2008 there is 1 club in North Carolina that uses Lawry targets for "trap" competition. 2008 is the year we are living in the last time I checked. All other clubs that throw registered targets in NC use WF targets.

If you chose to use Lawry targets go right ahead no problem. I have an email that was penned by a Lawry rep that confirmed that Lawry's are hygroscopic. That means that the targets can and will absorb moisture if left in conditions where humidity is present. If you add cold freezing temps I would imagine an image of a frozen flying hockey puck only orange in color.

You see we went through all of this mess when Ft. Bragg wanted to use Lawry targets in their trap program. I have the entire thread if you would like for me to post it! I don't have a dog in this fight I just posted some info and now I am living in the past:)

I also have an email that was penned by a former Connecticut ATA delegate about their issues after they decided to use Lawry targets for a state shoot. I believe that was the last time they used the Lawry target if you would care to check.

Will I shoot a Lawry target in trap when registered targets are offered? Yes I will but it might only be 300-600 targets in a year where I shoot 9-10,000 registered targets.

Yep 100 - 91 - 98 in August - Gastonia Gun Club - Picture is above - Enjoy

FRedmon 12/10/2008

19. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

Zardozforty,
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I believe you would be talking about "Midwest" targets thrown 4 or 5 years ago at the Iowa State Shoot. And they are a good target. I've only been at it since 97 and it's always been White Flyer or Remington other than that one year in that time frame. What was done previous to that I can't say. As of late, White Flyer has been used for several years.

Jim

20. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Who cares........ At any given shoot I don't care if it is Lawry, WF, STS or any other brand. I don't care if they are hard to break or not.

If the machine is breaking them because they are bad targets, that is one thing, but if they hav 2 holes or 20 holes and don't break, SO WHAT.

I look at my shooting on a daily basis not my average. If Leo has to shoot Lawry in -20 weather and I shoot the same day, it's all the same. If Leo or ?? shots a 98 or 88 or 78 and I shoot 2-5 targets below them, then I feel pretty good. If it's windy the same attitude applies.

If the playing field on any given day is level then what difference does it make how hard the targets are. The top shooters will still be the top shooters and I will be in the also ran catagory.

OB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
jess crofoot
lawry targets
lowery target
lowery trap targets

lowry skeet