1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowest cost for car insurance for elderly

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a relative that I am trying to help out and find the lowest cost of car insurance on a new car lease. He is 83 years old, around 2 years ago he had a minor accident where he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and took down a pole in a privately owned parking lot. This is his only car accident that he ever had.

Due to his age, and the accident his insurance company has raised his insurance premium. He wants to lease a new 2013 car and the rates he's obtained is the following.

Prior to before his accident he paid $600.00 per year. They raised it to $800.00 per year now.
    He received quotes from AAA of $1,150.00 per year.
    American family quote of $830.00 per year.

Any one know of any insurance company that can do better than this? I told him his age plus that accident hurt him. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats not bad for his age and driving issues. It is never a good idea to switch at that age and especially since he has had issues. I retired from AMFAM. They are a very good company. I like USAA better but my advice is stay put

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Been there, done that with both my parents. Had to take the keys away from them. Have a doctor make a formal, documented determination whether he is still fit to drive. Take a letter to a couple of insurance agencies.

You and I know he will become more unsafe, it is part of growing old. I hope I realize when it is time to hang up the keys.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My mom had sky high insurance after a serious accident with injuries from when she had a diabetic blackout behind the wheel...its been long enough for the rate to drop but when it didn't I shopped for her..got the best rate from 21st Century..just be sure to have them record current mileage on the odometer..that way if they are under 5k miles per year and can prove it ..it gets even lower

5. thunder

thunder Active Member

More accidents happen with texting, cell phones use, DUI and non tested drugs abuse than elderly people. Someday we all will be in that area of age and when the wheels are gone many will feel their time is done. Sad how things have to change with good honest hard working people.

6. senior smoke

Bill:
    99 years old, my wife is close to taking my keys away and I'm a lot younger than 99.
    Steve

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We're not that old yet (66) but I haven't been able to beat State Farm's premiums.

I work part-time for Enterprise Car Sales driving vehicles all over the northeast and middle Atlantic states - in fact, I'm leaving soon from south-central Pennsylvania for east-central New York state. One of my co-workers is 92 and although I think he drives too fast and is loosing his depth perception, I can only hope I live that long, let alone be in his mental and physical condition if I do.

Ed

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Who did he have insurance with? That is cheaper than what I pay... And My granddaughter at 23 was paying 129.00 a month. Sounds as he should stay where he is. Who did the bank use that was good? Ray

9. drgondog

drgondog Member

USAA for me.

10. senior smoke

Ed:
    So far he said the cheapest yearly insurance premium he was quoted was American Family for $800.00 per year. That's on a 2013 leased Honda Civic that he wants.

I need to double check that as it sounds to low at his age and having an accident. He was previously paying $600.00 per year.
    Steve

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

AMFAM will give you a good deal if they get your house too.

I did good with Liberty Mutual, 73 yrs old, 3 cars full coverage, new car replacement on one all for 800 a year. I was paying twice that with the big P (Progressive)

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.