1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lowering poi

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winselect, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

My son shoots a 3901 beretta, the comb is as low as it will go and the poi is about 6 inches high. How can I lower it.
    Kevin

2. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Is the POI 6" high with the beads stacked and the gun on a bench rest at 13 yards, shooting at a paper target with a "+" marked on it placeing the top of the front bead on the center of the "+"? Use the choke and ammo you normally use. If you didn't check your POI this way you won't really know where the gun is shooting. Report back your results.

Hawk,

3. winselect

winselect TS Member

We are shooting the paper from 35 yards using a rest. Shoots very high

4. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Dont Berettas come with shims for adjusting the drop at comb? Could that be the problem?

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

For a trap gun, 6 inches high at 35 yards is about right 70/30 with the old percentage convention. 2 inches high at 13 yards is about 6 inches high at 40 yards but it is easier to find the center of the pattern when shooting from 13 yards and rested.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Using the shims don't lower the comb very much, and they change the pitch which you probably don't want. The best way if you don't want to shave wood off the stock is to put an add-on rib on the gun. A 1/4 or 5/8 inch high rib would do it.

7. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

My thought was that maybe it had a shim installed which would lower the comb and alter the pitch which might lead to it shooting high. Though it sounds as if its shooting about where you'd want a trap gun to shoot.

8. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

How did you determine the pattern was 6 inches high at 35 yards? What did you measure?

Hawk,

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

If the comb is all the way down there are only two options to lower the POI, 1.if his eye is not burried on the rib you can take some wood off, if his face is burried looking down the gun the only other way is to raise the rib. Option 3 would be to get a different gun.

GS

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I never had much luck with shims with my 391. I needed to lower the impact on my X73 and sent it to keen's for a grooved rib that lowered it perfectly to what I needed. Less than $200. Worked great for me.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Winselect, the first question to answer is why it shoots that high.

1) It is bent up or something.

2) The shooter's eye is well above the rib

3) It was made that way. (doubtful)

Let's go backwards, skipping #3. Is the shooters eye well above the rib when the comb is all the way down? It it what way for most people? Try getting the eye lower; some people take this head erect deal so far they won't sight down the gun. Is that what's happening?

If the shooter's eye is about the normal place, most of the iris above the rib but not more than that, look at the "Rings" in the barrel or have someone do it for you. If it's been bent up, then bend it back down.

When you have made those checks, get back to us.

Neil

. . . but 6 inches high should't be hard to make work.

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

A taller bead will make some difference.

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When I was in the market for a gun for my son we had the same issue you have. To big of face to get down on the barrel. I am going to take the gun he has now and have them add an adjustable comb and take 1/4" out of the stock to make the comb sit lower. Hopefully this will take care of our problem. When my son put the 3901 up to his face he had the same problem your son has. Thats why we opted for a diff. gun. Good luck and hope you get it to work for your son.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Man all i wanted was a gun that shot 6" high. I was shooting a field 870 for my first year of trap. I was dreaming of the day I could keep the target in sight. I would do a more intense 13yard bench test. I did this as neil has perscribed, did wonders for where i thought i was shooting and where the gun was shooting. many hours at the pattern board I have brought the two together for a happy medium. I now look track shoot . Scores have been better and better my hits are smashing. No more butt belly beak bang shooting with my 870. XT see point shoot. AAAAHHHH so much better.

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Kevin;

Or... an add-on comb (scratch that - "rib", not comb) could be installed that is designed (tapered) to lower the POI (higher at the muzzle). With the comb raised slightly to allow sighting along the only slightly higher (at the rear) rib, the problem would be solved. I have forgotten who offers such ribs.

Might I also suggest your son get used to shooting under targets. It is advantageous in that they remain in sight in a tailwind when they dive. Many years ago when I started shooting trap after only shooting field guns, I very quickly learned to shoot under targets after initially believing it would be difficult.

Rollin

16. smartass

smartass TS Member

jeez, just trim the boys cheekbone a little. How hard could that be?

17. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Before I got my new XT. I played around with my 870 rib with light weight strips of white metal from hobby shop. these where very close to rib width. I played with different heights. As stated by rollin if you could find something simular to play with you could play with tapering off the ends different heights ect ect. I glue mine on with adhessive silicon. also balsa wood works good for quick changes and can use map pins, with the little dots ontop for sights. when you find where you want to be. keene sights can make you one or bring to machinest to make one.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Keep it simple. Set a trap machine on straight aways and shoot it first. It may be just right! You can also remove ALL the shims in the Beretta, which would make it shoot lower. I've done this myself. The cast off may then have to be shimmed (done that too). Despite the previous post, the Beretta system does lower the comb substantially when you have the correct factory shim in.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My browning gold has shims that work well also. My wife didnt THINK so. Until we put it on paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.