1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grevin, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

I purchased a TM1 with an adjustable comb and find that with the comb fully lowered and with the beads perfectly stacked the gun shoots 80/20 patterns. I am personally more comfortable with a pattern closer to 60/40 and I am wondering if anyone can offer me any options to consider.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Bigger front bead & reposition your mid bead--to lower your POI that much you'll have make up aprox 1/8" or more.

Phil Berkowitz

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get an add on rib designed to lower your POI. HMB

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

hmb has the idea...if you insist on stacking the beads...

otherwise, smack it against a tree...

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Should you use an oak tree or a maple tree to lower the POI? HMB

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

oak for a small change, sugar maple for a large change...

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

truck bumper.....
    'course when I've seen it done, the trucks were a lot older, different bumper design....don't know what they use up in Kentucky these days.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Since I'm required to get with the program--Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot get a 3/4" EMT bender--you can now make your gun shoot targets around the corner if you want to.

Phil Berkowitz

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable question to me deserving a respectful answer.

I have had guns that shot too high for me and I put one of those magnetic fiber optic beads on the rib which made the bead quite a bit higher and lowered the point of impact more than you would think. That allowed me to shoot the gun long enough to see if I liked it well enough to come up with a permanent solution or trade it off.

I wouldn't bend the barrel of any gun that cost more than 50 bucks but I guess that's just me, I have to work hard for my money. In modern times there are better ways of doing whats needed without going to cave man style solutions. One of the advertisers on here, Keen ribs, can make a glue on rib to get it shooting where you want. Or if you have tools and skills you could make your own ramp to mount a bead up higher. Also Briley and others can make choke tubes that will regulate your POI.

Whatever I would try to do something temporary first to make sure the gun suits you first. Good luck and good shooting.

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

All you really need to do is to put a larger front bead on. One of the fiber optic beads will lower the POI a lot more than you think. Try that first. Low cost, and easily reversible. If you want still more POI change, then a low add on rib from Keen Sights or one of the other add on rib makers can lower your POI to just about anything you would want. If you add say a 1/4" high rib, you may actually have to raise the comb about an 1/8 inch to keep the POI from going to low. The rib solution is more expensive, but would give you a wider range of adjustments via the comb. In fact, you can easily make a trial rib from balsa wood and tape it on temporarily to test out the idea. Make it 1/4 or 3/8 inch high, then adjust the comb to get the POI you want.

Jim R

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's unusual that a TM-1 would shoot nine inches high at 40 yards; most are almost flat at that distance. The first place I'd look is down the inside of bore and see if the doughnuts of light you see they are circular. If they are fat at the bottom and thin at the top the barrel has been bent up and all it needs is to be bent a bit down again and everything will be fine.

Neil

12. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Agree with Mr. Winston. IMHO, changing drop at comb, rib height, beads, etc will not result in changing the barrel's POI %

However, a good gunsmith who is familiar with the processes required can check out the barrel, analyze and verify the barrel's POI.

Adjustments or changes to the barrel's POI will require bending the barrel.

Bruce Elliott

Iowa

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If it is a TM-1 Special most shot 80/20.

You can sand the comb down until beads line up behind one another.

Thats all that can be done w/o major work.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Thank you all for the useful input. I have decided to smack the barrel against an oak tree as an initital effort at a remedy. . . Seriously, I will first try a larger front bead and then consider an add-on rib if still dissatisfied. In response to Mr. Winston's suggestion, I looked at the light circles in the barrel and I don't see any variation in thickness. With that said, however, I can't see any other reason for an elevated POI on a gun where the shooter is looking straight down the rib with beads tightly stacked. Maybe I should just save myself some time and have the barrel sent off for analysis.

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has an Ithaca import TM1 that shoots at least 8 inches high with a perfectly straight barrel and a typical trap gun rib that slopes down back to front.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a TM-1 Spec. that Eyster had backbored and set the choke for a previous owner to shoot very high while looking flat. I spent 4 hours and $195 at their shop to get the choke concentric with the bore. After that, it shot fine.
    Check the bbl. on your gun for bore size and bbl. mods.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To lower your POI.. either drop the rear comb..(which you can't do).. or raise the front sight.. The Hi-Viz magnetic sight with the largest inset will help.. but not get you 20%.. 10% or a little more is about all I've ever gotten.. If you silicon a steel shim.. about .100 to where you attach the sight..then cover it with the magnetic sight.. I think it will be perfect.. You can always remove it with no trace of it ever being there if you choose to sell the gun in the future..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.