1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering butt plate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,new to shooting,in a slump.One fellow said a while back it looked like I was shooting high.He suggested lowering butt plate 1/4 inch. I thougt I read on this site lowering butt plate will not change POI.Now today I lowered it 1/2 inch,My reason for doing so is this: I was mounting my gun,and my son noticed it varied that much difference in location on my shoulder.So,I lowered it so when I bring my gun up and touch my cheek with stock and slide it straight back to my shoulder it sets the same place everytime I mount it.Now.have I changed the POI or have I created another problem ,will be shooting this thursday night to check it out.

Doug H.

2. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Doug,

I or no one else on this site can answer that question. It sounds like you have made the gun fit better and that is a good thing. I would pattern the gun to see where it is shooting,before Thursday night if possible. There is just to many factors that play into good gun fit.If a gun fits perfect,raising the comb on the gun will raise the point of impact.Usually around and 1/8 to 3/16 will raise it about 2 to 3 inches, not really a given, everyone is different.

Good luck and good shooting

Dennis

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Doug, I agree with Dennis above! Lowering the butt plate will not change the POI as long as your eye is in the same place. Its more of a gun fit type of thing. As long as your fig. 8 is the same on the mid bead to your front bead the gun will shoot in the same place whatever that was to start with. Moving the comb up and changeing the space between the two beads will raise your POI. Lowering the comb and making the two beads into one will lower your POI. The pattering boad is the best place to start to find out just how high or low your gun is shooting. But to really get this test to be accurate you need to use a gun rest of some sort to keep gun movement to a min. You'd be surprised how much you move the barrel around freehand at 35 yards. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...you should be looking down a "flat" rib, so that the beads are stacked in a figure "8"."</i></blockquote>This isn't a hard and fast rule so don't go nuts trying to achieve it if it means compromising on something else. After your stock is adjusted for a comfortable and consistent mount AND the gun is shooting where you want it to shoot with the stock adjusted, the beads will be where they will be.

You don't want to force your head into a position that makes the beads look a certain way just because you think they should look that way. If they end up lined up one behind the other, that's fine. If they end up with a little space between them, that's fine too. As long as the rib doesn't hide either of the beads and you can at least see all of both of them, the important thing is that the gun shoots where you want it to shoot.

MK

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should be able to rest the full weight of your head on the comb of the stock and also have a good sight picture of the rib and beads. The comb of the stock should be tucked under your cheek bone and your head and eyes should be level. But be warned, only do this if you want to shoot alot of 25s. HMB

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Depending on your gun mount, lowering the butt pad could effectively lower the comb by changing your head position. Try it out. If it does not help, it is easy to change. I would also try it out for many rounds over a period of time. You cannot make a change and assess the change by shooting a couple of rounds. The change in your head position could also affect the recoil that is applied to your cheek.

Pat Ireland

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for the replys,can't stack beads,lol,middle one is broke off.Have hit 25 straight once this year without it,so I'm not really worried about it.I don't have an adjustable comb on this gun but I wanted to be able to mount it without lowering my head the stock.Thuraday will tell,as I mentioned in post,it seems I get a more consistant mount with the butt plate lowered,we'll see.

Doug H.

8. slodsm

slodsm Member

Doug for me an adjustable buttplate and comb was the difference between an 88 average and a 96 average. Had nothing to do with POI for me because I didn't change comb height, I just moved it over 1/4 inch and dropped the buttplate 1.5 inches.

It simply took the mental fatigue out of "proper mount" for me because it then only mounted and felt right one way. With a non adjustable stock I had several places where it felt "right" and it cause inconsistencies in my shooting but the ability to raise the gun via the butt and move my eye over just a tiny bit via the comb made it a whole new ball game. Gun fit and consistency are the end all be all of trap shooting as far as I'm concerned. now granted my average is nothing to brag about but those two simple mods brought me up that much over the course of 1000 targets and my hdcp up 4 targets per 100 over 1000 targets.

Jeremy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do adjustable butt pkates help with a more consistant mount

what does lowering the butt plate on trap gun do