1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowering Butt Pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

Experimenting with gun fit I've found that lowering the butt plate on my Morgan set-up has added some consistency to my mount. Haven't patterned yet and wondering how it will affect POI. Input appreciated.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Personally I like those Morgan adjustables, I use the curved ones not, much for recoil reduction but they will make you mount your gun the same way (and place) every time. That helps me as I have a problem with shooting over the top & I think they help me stay in the gun because the gun doesn't try to slide down on my shoulder. You will most likely get many other opinions. They are not all that expensive to try & maybe one of your friends might have one that you could try. Good Luck! Ross Puls

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you change the way your head rests on the stock to get the same bead separation POI will not change.

Don Verna

4. ismah

ismah Member

Don, I have always had the bad habit of sighting with a gap between front and rear beads. Lowering the butt plate seems to have cured this. I do the "eyes closed test" mount the gun and the beads look correctly placed. Just curious how the POI will be affected.

5. ismah

ismah Member

Lower?? That's actually good news to me. I tend to shoot over the top of a lot of targets. Thanks for the input and information.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

twostraight is correct. Less gap = lower POI

Don Verna

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

It is fairly easy to put a Kickeeze on a Morgan butt plate too, if you are so inclined. A little drilling and tapping and cut an access hole and walla, the best of two worlds.

8. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

I use a Morgan with the curved pad. Some curse them but I like the consistency.

BTW, I need to have some toe-out cast to avoid canting the gun with the curved pad. Nobody said you have to install them straight up and dowm. I just install them with new mounting holes in the buttstock--top one inboard as far as it will go and still cover the wood, bottom one outboard as far as it will go. Perfect for me.

Wray Paul

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you go to the patterning board you will get the answer to your question. HMB

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Lowering the butt pad may also increase the kick to the face you can experience from recoil.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.