1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowered my recoil pad for a more head's up mount

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic78s, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Lowered my recoil pad for a more head

Lowering the pad,seems to keep my eyes level,have not tryed this at the range yet. How high is too high,just trying to see the target better and maybe not lift my head as much,has this worked for anybody??? Thanks John

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I found that there is a limit to how much I can lower my pad to raise my head.

This limit is imposed on me by 2 things: <UL><LI>the shape of my comb<LI>the shape of my butt pad</UL>

Once I lower the pad past a certain point it starts to feel different against my face and I can't lock my cheekbone over it properly any more.

The further I lower the pad, the more the recoil wants to rotate the gun around the bottom of the pad until it gets to the point where it starts to punish my cheek. Then I have to go back up with the pad. Adding pitch to the pad makes it uncomfortable; I have carefully ground my Kick-Eze to the shape of my shoulder pocket.

MK

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- It is something you must work out shooting on the line. I have my pad set very low on my PFS.

Pat Ireland

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

By lowering the pad doesn't that lower the point of impact(POI)? Bulge.

5. Unknown1

No, as long as the comb stays in the same place relative to the rib and the eye is the same place relative to the comb.

MK

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you are shooting a combo, lowering the pad will give you fits on doubles. It has been my experience that if the pad is set very low there is too much kick up on the first shot to have good control the gun for the second shot.SMOKIT

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Unknown1/MK,

Your gun's rotating when you lower the recoil pad suggests that the pitch on your stock is not correct.

As you mount the gun, the whole pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder. The bottom toe of the pad should not make contact well before the top heel of the pad, which it seems might be happening now.

To reduce the need to lower the pad, mount the top of the recoil pad on your collarbone - with about an inch of the pad extending above the collarbone.

Rollin

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've explored this and had to add pitch to keep from getting bumped as suggested. No problems now except for the movement in general during recoil. Pad is lower and turned out as well to fit my shoulder pocket. I'm thinking of moving it back up some and raising the rib by the same amount.

Joe

9. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Thanks John

10. Unknown1

Rollin,

I understand what is causing the cheek beating: I read your book! I lowered my pad almost 1/2" without having to make any changes to the pitch and greatly improved my gun mount.

My pad is mounted exactly as you described and it fits perfectly (as you described) as long as it is in it's present position. It will continue to fit properly if I lower it as much as 1/8" more. After that the fit of the pad changes enough (as does the fit of the comb against my cheek) that the stock starts to rotate. I don't see any significant advantage to increasing the pitch to correct the condition because I really don't need to.

The reason I reported the condition was to give the original poster a bit of information to point out that there can be consequences to lowering the pad. You've explained why so now he knows more than he did before.

MK

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

MK,

Understood.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.