1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower than a Snake's Belly in a Wagon Rut

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Great pic's Thanks for sharing it with us.

I saw on the History Channel about WWII planes. A pilot was flying a plane to some base in the US and saw a lake. He decided to have some fun and see how close h could get to the water. The crew said forget it and lets keep going. Wel he wanted top show off and did. The plane is still on the bottom or has been raised to be restored. I can't remember. It was a B-17 or a B-24. I have to side on it being a B-17.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The last I heard the pilot in command lost his ride when they did a fly-over at one of the Iowa games. He was approx. 2-3 hundred feet over the score board when they went by. A lot of money went down the drain for training by a bad decision.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kinda reminds me of a take-off I did in a Cessna T-210R. I sucked up the gear while still in ground effect and buzzed the top of my buddies hangar when I pulled up. He just knew for sure a plane was coming through the roof.

You know that old saying about there being no Old Bold pilots? I stopped flying before I made that saying true. There was also an incident with a bridge and a Cessna 152, but that'll wait for another time.

ss

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks B in O great thread last Spitfire pass on video is funny. Jeff

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My father died about three years ago in his mid 80s. He got his pilot's license on his sixteenth birthday, joined the Army Air Corps in the fall of 1941 (before Pearl Harbor), and served in WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. He had more hours instructing than most pilots have flying, and did a lot of hauling hunters and supplies into primitive airstrips in the Idaho wilderness. One time he told me that as a young pilot in Mississippi he used to fly over a lake and skim the water to get his wheels spinning. He also said he could not believe how stupid that was, and it was a wonder he never crashed.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great post Brian. Amazing what some of those aircraft will handle and the size of the balls of their pilots.

My Grandpa a WWII Avenger ball turret gunner told me of strafing Islands in the South Pacfic where they could see the fear on the Japs faces. I don't know how low that is in feet but sounds scary to me.

8. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

How about the guy flying an ultra light dropping bowling balls on my shop roof!
    He had big balls to fly it and big balls to drop!!

Harry Lyga

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was a tail gunner in B 52's, I used to hate when we would do TA, terrain avoidance radar, we were right on the ground, makes you a hole pucker up real tight

After I got out of the Air Force, I aerial applicated or crop dusted for a while, but there was a catch 22, you couldn't fly legally unless you had insurance, and you couldn't buy insurance until you had 2500 hrs crop dusting

Guess it was a good thing I probably would have killed myself

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I was at the flyover at Kinnick stadium and man it was loud and proud. This year it was so foggy you couldn't see the planes even.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good thread although I assumed it was about that big eared beanpole which I first saw it. LOL

12. triplea

triplea TS Member

I used to do stuff like that in a Cessna 310. When you get down in ground effect you can draw a wake over water. Doing it over lake Erie when frozen over was like the scenes in Dr. Strangelove. Take off and stay in ground effect and you could really make a show going down the runway. I always liked to buzz Jaquas and Vandalia when I left. I'd buzz the house to let my wife know I was home and to come pick me up, airport was less than 1 mile away. One year before the Grand the guy flying an F4U bent the prop on a runway pass. I was parked next to the plane while it was waiting for the engine teardown and a new prop. Big $$$$ Those days a now passed but aviation was fun. Now to many rules since 9-11. David Proper.

13. Mapper

Mapper Member

Catpower, I was on the ground down in Mississippi when the B-52s were practicing their stealth mode. Those motors were throwing kerosene smoke all over the place.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are you familiar with Douglas Bader! WW1 pilot, was hot dogging inverted over the strip between the wars, crashed and lost both legs, one below and one above the knee. He made it back into WW2 as a hurricane pilot, was shot down and captured by the Germans. He escaped so many times that the Germans finally impounded his prosthetic legs. He survived the war, played golf to a 4 handicap. Hell of a story.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

EuroJoe, I read the "Legless wonder Joe Bader's" book. Like you said a hell of a story. I probably still got that book in paperback somewhere.

I knew a cropduster who used to "wash his wheels" in the river after a day of dusting. We figured he would die dusting, and he did. Not in a flying accident but they say the chemicals he handled caused his cancer.

I was flying from Naptown to Kentucky Lake one Saturday to get one of those $75 hamburgers when I saw a couple of flattops (aka barges) on the Ohio river and I decided to try a carrier landing in the Cherokee 140. I don't who I scared more, me or the barge captain. LOL I have no idea how carrier pilots survive any landing.

That was years ago, hope I got smarter. Maybe not I shoot trap.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've heard that the trainees at Pensacola NAS who came back with their landing gear dry were called sissies!

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Barfin, great pictures, thanks for posting.

18. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

WHen I was doing a solo cross country in a C-152 , the cross country was over the city I was living in, so I found mom and dads house and vrooom buzz job away!!!! circled the town twice buzzed mom and dad 2 or three times and on returning to terra firma had a message waiting from my mother..

DONT EVER BUZZ THIS HOUSE AGAIN.. LOL
    Like was said before there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots..

since then have done lots of Aerobatics in different aircraft...
    Yak-52, T-6 lots of fun..

Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lower than snakes belly in awagon rut sayings funny