1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lower recoil 12 ga. loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by traplady41, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traplady41

traplady41 TS Member

I'm looking for a good low recoil load for kids. It seems ever time we shoot at our club young people want to shot but are scared of the recoil. Any help would be nice.Since almost everyone shoots 12 ga. I would like to stay with it. thanks.

2. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

There are a number of threads on the 7/8 and 1 oz loads with recipes for light loads.

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Find a 7/8oz factory load, or if you reload the ammo, 18 grains of promo, cheddite primer, Downrange XXL wad. The first time I shot these I was amazed at how little recoil there was and how well they hit the targets. I don't think that 1oz loads recoil any less than 1 1/8oz loads, but thats just my opinion.

4. Loyac

Loyac Member

Fiocchi has a 7/8 oz. low recoil training load. John

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I shoot 7/8 oz of shot behind 18 grains of solo 1000 and winchester primer, very low recoil and hits targets plenty hard.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

traplady31, both Remington and Winchester both have newer loads in both 7/8 oz. and l oz loads of lead, and have speeds below 1000 fps. as well. These loads work very well in both skeet and 16 yard trap. Other brands have some slower shells as well. But I'm pretty sure that Win. and Rem have the lowest. These loads will not cycle most autoloaders and the boxes of shells will tell you that. These loads are more expensive than there normal loads. If you want to keep a supply on hand for the kids I would suggest buying a cheap reloader and let the kids reload them for themselves with adult suppervision of course. Hodgdon.com has the reloading formula's for the brand new powder that is Winchester AA Lite (if I remember right) it is made just for low speed loads. As I recall the fastest load for it is 1150 fps with one and one eight load of lead. This powder should be perfect for young kids and some of our senior shooters as well.Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Alliant used to have some youth 3/4 ounce loads on their website. I load 3/4 ounce for skeet with 9's. Its not a published recipe but I use around 19 grains of clays, seat the wad in lightly and get a good crimp with a AA gray wad. Who knows how fast it is....personally I dont care b.c skeet is just for smiles and giggles. It does crush the skeet targets though....

just my 2cents worth,

Forrest

8. traplady41

traplady41 TS Member

I was going to reload my own if I can find a good load.

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Pretty much any 7/8oz load would be great for junior shooters.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

7/8 oz of shot (prefer 9s cuz there's 512 pellets), STS or Winchester hull, gray Winchester 12L wad or the CB clone, Winchester primer, and no more than 16.8 to 17 grains of Clays and you'll have a winner at 16, skeet, and close sporties....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I use a Remington case, Rem,or Winchester primer, with the Winchester Gray 7/8 wad, and 15 grains of Red Dot. If that is to much I use the same set up with a filler wad in the bottom of the shot cup and load 3/4 of shot. I usually use 8-1/2's or 9's. These are shot in break open guns only.

Ajax

12. winselect

winselect TS Member

my son id shooting cleaver 1oz. of #8, through a Beretta 3901RL, and there is nearly zero recoil. Shooting from the 16yd. line with a mod. choke.
    Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.