1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lower POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goldenkc, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

I shoot a BT99 with no adjustable comb, that shoots high. I need to make
    sure I stay under the clay pigeon when shooting or if I cover
    too much with the barrell it is a miss. I have a Morgan butt plate installed. Can adjusting the butt plate up or down change POI to shoot lower or am I stuck getting used to shooting under the clay pigeon for a hit.

Thanks, Keith

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Once again (about the 4th time this month alone this question has been posted) changing the buttpad (in whatever direction or manner) has no significant impact on a shotgun POI. While it nmay have some minor effect for some, this will only occur if the position of the face/cheek (and consequently the position of the eye) on the comb is changed somehow. To raise or lower the POI, you must raise or lower the comb. (or the height of the front bead) This is the only way to reliably change the POI.

Second, not sure I understand why you would want to lower the POI in this case anyway. Most shooters want to "float" the target above the barrel to some (in some cases greatly) in order to better be able to see the target. If you have to cover the target with the barrel in order to hit it, then you are going to sometimes lose sight of the target, which is the only thing you should be focusing on in the first place. Sounds to me as if the gun is already properly pointing for you, with the target just floating above the point of aim, readily visible at all times, which of course allows for lead adjustment, proper target focus, and compensates for the rising target. Why would you want to change that?

Jim R

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I was also going to ask why one would lower the POI. I prefer around a 95% high pattern, and don't cover up the bird. If you float it, you can see the target until it turns into a vapor. :)

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Changing the position of the pad can alter the POI of the recoil on your shoulder but not the POI of the shot. I suggest this. Don't think about shooting over or under the bird. Just clearly look at the bird and let your gun shoot when it wants to shoot, not when you want to shoot the gun. Your gun can do that if you trust it. Guns are better shooters than we are.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is very easy to lower the POI of your gun without changing the height of the comb. All you have to do is raise the height of the front sight bead. You can make a small rib out of balsa wood and paint it black, about 3 inches long and 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick. Then glue it on to the end of the guns rib. Use a beaded pin the kind used in sewing for the front sight, just shorten the pin and stick it in the end of the little rib. After you get all the dimensions figured out you can get a custom add on rib for the gun. HMB

6. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Thanks to all for the advice. I will try to become one with gun, and not worry about POI. But on windy days when the clays are flying low, I really
    have to make sure I shoot lower below the clay. If I concentrate harder, and shoot quicker that seems to help, but I'm not always seeing the clay clearly before shooting it. Adding a small rib to raise the front sight may be an option I can experiment with.

Keith

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would just put a magnetic Hi Viz sight on the end of the barrel they are larger and raise the bead with out any modifications leave the original sight in place just stick the Hi Viz behind the original bead. I have used this sight many times to reduce POI when shooting my guns for sporting and it works and can be changed from gun to gun.
    Buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can lower poi trap