1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low targets; eye focus?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfstock, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfstock

halfstock TS Member

Went shooting today, 50 on first trap went OK; moved to the next trap and disaster! The targets were bright; seemed lower so I held a lower gun; nothing seemed to help.

Could it be my soft focus height was wrong? Thoughts...

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bead check???

3. halfstock

halfstock TS Member

Could be bead check. Why no problem for first fifty and then all of a sudden?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

You might have learned my trick. I know how to run 50 - 75 birds and then things go bad on just one or two posts. Odd how everything can change when moving fields or even moving to another post.

Pat Ireland

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Forget about it. Low targets kill everybody. Don't change anything.

jim brown

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have to hold on the back lip and focus just over the front lip for low targets. I am a one eye shooter...

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You were doing good until you "woke up" and started thinking, I do this often.

You started a conversation with yourself and let your intellect override your ability to break the birds.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I did the same thing last wk---ran 49---went to different club and shot 17 1st trap---How can that happen---Had a AA shooter look at me and he said I am doing about 5 things wrong---How do U work on 5 things?Good thing I can still hold my own at golf---gL---sjb

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Was at a Nora Ross-Martin clinic recently and she made a point. It was a very windy day and there were lots of lost targets. She kept stressing that we needed to shoot where the target is and not where you expect it to be.

Shooters who miss unusually low or unusually high targets most often do so because they fire when their mental clock says it's time to fire instead of when their gun is on the bird. They're "timing" shooters: they move the gun at a specific speed for a specified amount of time and then fire. Works great when the targets are "normal", fails miserably when they're not. Throw them a target that's higher or lower than they want and they lift their heads, arm shoot, or flat run over it.

MK

10. jhh

jhh Member

If you have a wobble trap at your club try shooting it just as much as you shoot ATA trap for your pratice. Seems to me that it helps you "shoot the target" as opposed to shooting "timing". Regards, John Hancock

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I expect that when you raised your head off the stock to see the bird, you didn't pull the trigger fast enough. You have to pull the trigger just as the cheek loses contact with the comb. The most successful low bird shooters come off their heels at the same time the head leaves the stock.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"You have to pull the trigger just as the cheek loses contact with the comb."

Are you freaking kidding?

That's nonsense.

The cheek should lose contact with the stock about the time the target pieces are hitting the ground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.