1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low speed loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Boticed that Remington sells 11/8 oz loads @ 1100 FPS. Are theses just skeet loads or @ what yardages would they ne effective?

Phil Berkowitz

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

They will break targets from the 27 yard line.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

They will work from any trap yardage, as zzt said.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

Phil,

That shell or my copy of it is my most successful 16 yard load. ALL but one of my 16 yd. 100 straights has been with the Rem. Low Recoil shell ( STS12LR8 ). Don't know why I do not stick with it. Have not tried it from further back. Other folks have been happy with it, also, on my reccommendation.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Even the Winchester Extra Lite 26 gram load at 980fps will break targets out to the 27. It just takes a little longer for them to get there. The 1100 fps 1 1/8 oz Remington load is a good one. I load something fairly similar for the 16s and short caps. There is not much difference in pellet velocity between the 1100 fps and the 1145 fps loads when you get out at the target's yardage.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They pattern better than the fast loads because they do not break the sound barrier. HMB

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

How many Big Dogs are shooting slow loads? CED

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most do, but they are keeping it a secret. HMB

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Were the ATA ever to go to longer yardage at handicap, I expect there would be a lot of experimentation along HMB's lines and I, for one, think there might be some surprises there.

I do remember some unsatisfactory outcomes, however. Remember RemLites when the had a speed of about 1050/1075? I don't think anyone made them work as well as faster shells.

We all recall R. Stafford shooting Federal Extra-Lites (speed just above 1100/1125 usually). He scored very well with them, being, at the time, the biggest of all dogs.

Neil

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'm Big and have been called a "Dog" many times. Does that count? There seems to be a lot of shooters that would not be shooting if it were not for the lighter loads. I load my shells so they will just function my auto, but would likely be shooting lighter loads if I shot a break open more. I have one very light single barrel that I will use the equivalent of the extra light Winchester load. It's a pleasure to shoot and it will smoke a target from the 16 and consistently break them all the way back. They are so slow, you'd think you could see the shot in flight. You really have to see the breaks to believe how well they can perform. But, all that said, I still have a tendency to use the 1 1/8 oz loads when something is on the line. The 1100 fps loads of 1 1/8 oz will do just fine in that category. I'm not a 27 yard shooter, but have been known to try it once in awhile. My 1100 fps 1oz loads worked about the same for me as a 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz load did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is 1125fps to slow for trap loads