1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Scores at Maryland State Championship

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-EIGHTY, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Anyone have any idea why the scores (today) were so low? The weather was good, the targets looked great, but the scores were some of the lowest (across the board) I've ever seen at a State shoot. Not a single 200. Many AA scores in the 180's and low 190's. Some really big name shooters with very low scores. Any ideas? Do they throw bio targets there. I'm genuinely perplexed. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

K-EIGHTY

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Could be newly formulated targets. Isn't this the first year that back at Thurmont? If so, that could be a factor, too. I would be interested to know if the weather was bad or something.

3. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

K-eighty ,

Great question what were the Maryland scores //?
    Does anyone know /? win

4. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Most of the top scores were 198, may have been a 199 if I remember right, I won B class with a 195 which surprised me,did not think I had a chance. A lot of the regulars I shoot with have been struggling this year including myself, went from an A to C and have started to work back up.

Saturdays weather was wonderful, maybe everyone just got caught up looking around at how pretty a day it was and forgot to concentrate on the target.

As far as the targets they were excellent in my opinion, set very consistent trap to trap, if you hit them they broke. Very few trap problems or problems in general, Everyone involved is to be commended for a job very well done getting the MD State Shoot up and running at Thurmont.

JohnR

johnr_2008_300891.jpg

johnr_2008_300892.jpg

johnr_2008_300893.jpg

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ever since the WF pitch plant was destroyed I've been hearing stories about target problems. Shape of target, weight of target, flight of targets and hardness of targets have all been mentioned. HMB

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Sure wish i could have been there, but my mother taught me (work comes before pleasure}, so i stayed home and worked .Joe

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If they were "newly formulated targets" I like the formula. I shot Friday and had no problem, when you center them they turned to dust.

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have been shooting at those Newly Formulated White Flyers since I arrived back in NY and have been VERY happy. Have seen NO unusual breakage out of the traps, a cloud of orangish smoke off almost every one I hit, and they for some reason seem to break up into crushed targets a lot more than the old style.

For me, I like the New Formula. Most people I shot with don't even know the difference but think they are hitting targets harder, and are pleased with the results.

Dave

9. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Wish someone would post the winners??????

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Ever since the WF pitch plant was destroyed I've been hearing stories about target problems. Shape of target, weight of target, flight of targets and hardness of targets have all been mentioned. HMB</blockquote>Yup...that's what you've been hearing: stories!

<blockquote><I>LETTER FROM PHIL MURRAY:

To: White Flyer Distributors Gun Club Managers/ Personnel<br>From: White Flyer Targets<br>Subject: New White Flyer Targets

Hi All:

Recently you may have noticed receiving orders from White Flyer/ Webb City in which a memo was attached to each pallet stating “Tooling Change was made on these targets and readjustment of the splitter or knife may be necessary”. What basically occurred was that the first step of the target was lowered by about fifteen-thousandths. In talking to gun clubs in the Midwest that have received these ‘newer’ targets, adjustments have been minimal, but the shooters have remarked that these ‘newer’ targets are different in that they ‘smoke’ better than the ‘older’ WF targets! Rumors started that WF mixed bio ingredients into this target and this is why it ‘smokes’ a light, grayish color. Other rumors were that the dimensions, plus weights, have been changed and it is a completely new target. Quite frankly, a lot of misinformation is going on out there and we felt it necessary to contact you and ask you to please pass this memo onto your customers & gun clubs.

First and foremost, this ‘newer’ target is different in only two areas, the height of the first step and its composition. They still undergo a 27-step process of quality control to measure weights and concentricity- the specs which are weight mandated by the ATA and other organizations have NOT changed.

The main difference and the thing that shooters are commenting about is the fact that when centered, instead of the ‘black sootball’, you get a whitish, gray picture of the smoked target. This is where the only change has been made to this target- a different style of pitch is now being used that is lighter in color and therefore causes the target to ‘smoke’ whitish, gray. Outside of this pitch change, no other aspect, other than the very first step, are any different. Extensive testing has been done on these ‘newer’ targets and in our testing, we found that they actually break/ smoke better that their older AA pitch counterpart. There is no question that when smoked, against a dark background, they could be mistaken for our biodegradable target that smokes a whitish color. It will take a bit of getting used to with this lighter smoke, but overall we feel this is a better target. At the current time, this ‘newer’ target will only be produced at our Webb City, Missouri, target plant. Hence, many shoots in the Midwestern US will receive these targets over the next few months.

We wanted to dispel any of the rumors out there that they were suddenly shooting a totally new WF target because they weren’t. Hopefully this clears up the misconceptions about what you will be using and what to expect. Should you and your gun clubs have any questions, please feel free to call me directly at our Houston office @ 713-626-1843.</i></blockquote>

So if the targets you broke didn't smoke white, they were the same old same old you've been shooting at for years...pitch plant fire or not. And it's doubtful (according to Murray] that the East Coast States will see the new targets anytime soon.

Keller

11. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Wish someone would post the winners??????

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Ever since the WF pitch plant was destroyed I've been hearing stories about target problems. Shape of target, weight of target, flight of targets and hardness of targets have all been mentioned. HMB</blockquote>Yup...that's what you've been hearing: stories!

<blockquote><I>LETTER FROM PHIL MURRAY:

To: White Flyer Distributors Gun Club Managers/ Personnel<br>From: White Flyer Targets<br>Subject: New White Flyer Targets

Hi All:

Recently you may have noticed receiving orders from White Flyer/ Webb City in which a memo was attached to each pallet stating “Tooling Change was made on these targets and readjustment of the splitter or knife may be necessary”. What basically occurred was that the first step of the target was lowered by about fifteen-thousandths. In talking to gun clubs in the Midwest that have received these ‘newer’ targets, adjustments have been minimal, but the shooters have remarked that these ‘newer’ targets are different in that they ‘smoke’ better than the ‘older’ WF targets! Rumors started that WF mixed bio ingredients into this target and this is why it ‘smokes’ a light, grayish color. Other rumors were that the dimensions, plus weights, have been changed and it is a completely new target. Quite frankly, a lot of misinformation is going on out there and we felt it necessary to contact you and ask you to please pass this memo onto your customers & gun clubs.

First and foremost, this ‘newer’ target is different in only two areas, the height of the first step and its composition. They still undergo a 27-step process of quality control to measure weights and concentricity- the specs which are weight mandated by the ATA and other organizations have NOT changed.

The main difference and the thing that shooters are commenting about is the fact that when centered, instead of the ‘black sootball’, you get a whitish, gray picture of the smoked target. This is where the only change has been made to this target- a different style of pitch is now being used that is lighter in color and therefore causes the target to ‘smoke’ whitish, gray. Outside of this pitch change, no other aspect, other than the very first step, are any different. Extensive testing has been done on these ‘newer’ targets and in our testing, we found that they actually break/ smoke better that their older AA pitch counterpart. There is no question that when smoked, against a dark background, they could be mistaken for our biodegradable target that smokes a whitish color. It will take a bit of getting used to with this lighter smoke, but overall we feel this is a better target. At the current time, this ‘newer’ target will only be produced at our Webb City, Missouri, target plant. Hence, many shoots in the Midwestern US will receive these targets over the next few months.

We wanted to dispel any of the rumors out there that they were suddenly shooting a totally new WF target because they weren’t. Hopefully this clears up the misconceptions about what you will be using and what to expect. Should you and your gun clubs have any questions, please feel free to call me directly at our Houston office @ 713-626-1843.</i></blockquote>

So if the targets you broke didn't smoke white, they were the same old same old you've been shooting at for years...pitch plant fire or not. And it's doubtful (according to Murray] that the East Coast States will see the new targets anytime soon.

Keller

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hmm, that answers a lot of speculation from shooters I have personally heard lately. Thanks for sharing Keller.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe a box or two of bios got mixed in with the pitch target boxes. Since they both "inkball" white, you would never know the difference. HMB

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've noticed my missed targets tend to fly straighter now...

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Phil Murray left the Nebrska home grounds today after giving the shooters a long apology for the quality of the new targets. Scores at Nebraska have not been this low since the 1940's. The targets were like concrete. He went into great detail on how it happened and what they would do to fix it.

jim brown

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The Md scores average could have been much lower had I showed up to shoot ; ))...Howdy to TrapmanJohn whose signature stance and sexy legs I recognized on post 5 of the last photo...hope you busted them good John and Dave

18. Trent

Trent TS Member

I just got home from a shoot in Fort Worth and they were also having problems with birds that won’t break. Everyone had problems, especially those (like me) that were shooting #8s; I changed to some shells loaded with #71/2 and started to break a few. They picked up a stack of unbroken targets off the ground with 5-7 holes in them and they didn’t brake. Looks like WF has a little more work to do on their new formula.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What say you now Keller? HMB

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HMB,

Can I delete my post above and act like I never typed it? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.