1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low recoil stocks -McCarthy vs. Simms

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scratcher, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

I'm considering buying one of the new 'stock-lock' type recoil stocks for my Kolar. Both of these products do the same thing and are similar in design and not much difference in price.

My concern is, who gives the best customer service, delivers on their promises, and stands behind their product? How long a wait, and do they require or ask for full payment up front? And lastly, can I have it built with a chunk of beautiful Claro walnut that I already own? Any responses would be helpful; it's hard money to part with and I want to make the best choice. Feel free to contact me at my e-mail addy for input if you don't wish to respond on this forum.

Thanks,

Dick Gries

2. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

Most of your questions should be directed to the stock makers. From a functional standpoint I own a Prosoft and it is great. Have not had it long enough to need service or repair. Have also heard great things about the stock lock. I have dealt with Pat McCarthy on triggers and he was absolutely great to deal with.

3. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

As to the opinions on the experience shooters have had with the two you have asked about, you will only get the positive on this site. If someone has had a negative experience with either one they will keep it to themselves. So you can get ten good things said about each and one and no negative comments but one provider may have 10x as many negative experiences as the other. Sorry but that's the way it is. Bruce

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dick, you have mail.

5. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

1brucem is correct. So those responses that may be negative, please PM or EM directly. I want to make a good decision ($$$) and do it just once.

Dick Gries

6. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Dick,

I have been shooting one of Pat's Stock Loc's for the last 18 months without any problems and I shoot year round every weekend.

I had both my shoulders totally replaced in 08-09, Doc said no more Trapshooting for me, I contacted Pat and he made me a beautiful Turkish Walnut stock for my K-80, I convinced my Doc that this will allow me to keep shooting and it works like a charm.

12 Weeks later I flew over to the US from Australia to pick it up and spend a day with Pat to fine tune, It has been the best money I have ever spent during my Trapshooting years (25 and counting) yes not cheap but you certainly get what you pay for with his product.

I am lucky enough to attend the Grand most years so I will get Pat to go through it this August, purely as part of the deal, not because it will need it.

I can only assume the Prosoft is as equally good, but can only speak of my experience with Pat and his Stock-Loc

Respectfully yours in sport.

"Release Trigger"....aka. Gary Kennerson 96 05145 Sydney Australia.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

From a pure design, Phil Simms "ProSoft" stock is wonderfully simple and very effective. Pat's work is good, but I prefer what Phil has to offer.

ss

8. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Yep, I am a fan of Phil too! Just no one tell Phil! Great guy, my buddy has two of them and I am thinking of one myself.

Courtney

9. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Not sure why people feel they need to spend 2K for a recoil system. Put a slick slide on for $600 and be done with it. Simple design. I have a bad shoulder injury that is ultra sensitive to recoil. I can shoot all day long with a slick slide, never needs adjustment. No offense, I'm sure they work well, but I think the prosoft and stock lock are ugly looking, not sure I would want one on my Kolar. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you will be satisfied with whatever you decide.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Interesting that Phil did all Pat's work until whatever?! Makes you wonder where old Phil got his idea huh?! Tom Rhoads

11. stockguy

stockguy Member

I like the Phil Simms Pro Soft stock. I had one made a few months ago and it is very comfortable to shoot. I like the mechanism. I think Phil developed a 'better mousetrap' after working on his system for several years before releasing it. The mechanism shouldn't have maintainance issues.

Also, Phil is a master stock maker, so I wanted the advantange of going to his shop and have the stock custom made for me. We blended both of our ideas into the stock configuration and I'm very pleased with it. After being in the stock modifying and fitting business myself, to have someone else make a stock for me shows the amount of trust I have in Phil's capabilities.

Consider the Pro Soft from Phil Simms, but visit directly with the stock makers that you want to consider about the details of their process.

Oh, by the way - I also shoot a Kolar.

Greg Hissem

12. OVBILL

OVBILL TS Member

13. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

If you want a stock that mounts up perfect every time you mount the gun, Prosoft is the way to go! Phil is the best stock maker I have ever seen! I have a MX3 special and a Silver Seitz, both with Prosoft stocks, and they shoot were I LOOK, every time!! Phil will work with your wood or his inventory of Walnut, up to you. The bigest thing I have noticed is zero recoil and it's easy to keep your head on the stock. I shot 1700 targets at the Spring grand, and when it was over, I felt as fresh as the first day! You won't be disapointed with a Prosoft. Bob Murray

14. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Bob, thats a nice lookin' gun !! Can you show pic of entire gun so we can appreciate the stock work?..Rob

15. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

16. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

Like to find a used one for a 682. Lester

17. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Thanks to all of you for your responses both here and PM's.

Dick Gries

18. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

Dick, just so you know, as of now the prosoft system has been in use over two years with not one problem. The maintence is once a year and takes only ten minutes, take out two bolts, wipe of old greese, replace with new greese, and that's it! Bob M......

19. OVBILL

OVBILL TS Member

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Check out slick slide on todays post. There is a picture of it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
low recoil stocks
phil simms new prosoft recoil system

phil simms prosoft recoil system

phil simms walnut stocks
philsimmscustomstocks

prosoft recoil system phil simms

prosoft stocks phil simms