1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low recoil shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Phil, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Further to my last email, can anyone recommend a good factory low recoil 12 gauge shell for my son? He is shooting a buddy's 7/8 reloads, and loves them.

Any ideas? I'm not really ready to start reloading myself yet.

2. perazzitm

perazzitm Member

Or you could just have your buddy load for your son, I don't think he will mind:)

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

perazzitm

His buddy would be a fool to reload and also break the law if compensated for same.

AP,
    Start reloading. Those Featherlights are over $8 a box and you can reload for less than half of that.

A smart kid should be able to load his own shells shells anyway; and you can start with a less expensive MEC and still make good loads. That is better use of his time than XBox and he will save more than what he can earn working part time at McDonald's.

Don Verna

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MY DUAGHTER SHOOTS ESTATE 2 3/4 DRAM 1OZ LOADS SHE STARTED ON FIOCCHI 7/8 BUT ARE HARD TO FIND A DEALER. WE BOT FEDERAL PREMIUM LITE LOADS THIS SUMMER -THEY HAD " QUICK PUNCH" TO THEM SHE WONT SHOOT THEM ANY MORE!

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Low recoil= Low score. That's my experience and many others that I shoot with (whom I respect) feel the same way.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

on the other hand - 3 dram loads for new (softer) shooters, leads to head raising and bruised cheeks. some kids can take it- some cant!! minimal recoil to me is 1 oz @1145 to 1200 fps low recoil/ training loads are 900 fps NOW you will see a problem if shot long term !!!

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Beat up kids=low scores don't want to come back, in my experience. The Fiochi 7/8ths low recoil load is the absolute best but sometimes hard to find. Those WW Featherlites will also do the trick from 16 yds just fine. I've even ran some straights with them from the 16 so they can't be to bad. They truly have no recoil but hit the targets pretty hard.

It's too bad one of the ammo companies hasn't woke up and realized there is a huge market out there for all these young kids that don't reload and need a cheap shell. Instead the cheap shells they market are 3 dram butt kickers. If they would load a cheap case with 1 or 7\8ths oz of 8's at 1075-1100 they would sell a bunch of them. It does not take 3 dram 1 1\8 to break 16 yd birds and that is the only place they shoot from.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When I was a 12 year old kid, I shot 1 1/8oz loads from an 1100 and never felt any fatique. The gun must fit, your loads need to be light and you should be good to go. Those factory feather light loads (low noise, low recoil) are a joke if you want to be competitive. YOU WILL LOSE.

Low recoil= low score= low self esteme when the other kids that shoot 1 or 1 1/8oz beat the snot out of you on a consistant basis.

9. THALL

THALL Member

Remington makes a 7/8 load of 8 1/2 at 1100 FPS....I like it on the 1st shot of doubles....it will crush targets...Gamaliel has them on their website...Tim Hall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.