1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low recoil/low noise duplication success???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rexxon631g, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

Has anyone here comeup with a clean shooting duplication to the 980fps Winchester low recoil low noise load. I am shooting Remington hulls and Claybuster grey 7/8 wads??? Somebody here must have done all this before me. I have searched this site a saw one horror story but that was a while ago, just looking for some recent news.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon has a selection of 970 fps and 980 fps forumlas using WAALite powder and AA hulls in 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8 oz. weight in their online data base: <I>http://data.hodgdon.com/</i>

Alliant lists nothing for ExtraLite below 1080 fps.

Keller

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

This is from other people on this site sharing their recipes - I've never tried one, so I would verify data and move forward carefully.

Winchester 12-ga. 2 3/4" AA hull (old style), Winchester 209 primer, Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad, 14.2 grains Alliant American Select, 26 grams (401 grains) of hard shot.

Winchester AA hull - Feather Lite
    26 grams of lead shot (about 15/16 ounces)
    12 grains of WAA Lite Powder
    Win. 209 Primer
    WAA12SL Wad

15 gr of Alliant E3 under a Claybuster Lightning wad with 1oz #8 shot.

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I had some success with both AALite and ExtraLite powders--low recoil, pretty clean burn. But the patterns were very center dense and hard to hit with at skeet even with a cylinder choke. I upped the charge to get about 1150 fps and the patterns are more evenly distibuted and easier to hit with. The Alliant powder is a bit bulkier and will give you better component fit in Rem hulls. Hope this is some help.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

rexxon,

Here's the load that EXACTLY duplicates the AA Lites:

Winchester AA hulls<br>
    26 grams of shot (about 15/16 ounce)<br>
    12 grains of WAALite<br>
    Winchester 209 Primer<br>
    WAA12SL Wad

Should be about 5,600 PSI and 980 fps

Now I realize you asked about Remington hulls and Claybuster wads, but if you go to the Hodgdon website, I am sure you can find a combination of components with WAA Lite powder that will work for you.

6. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

Thanks All

7. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

Just to let everyone know I worked a little on these loads, 1oz bar with 12.3 grains of Winchester AA Lite, with Claybuster grey 7/8 wad looks to be about as clean as I am going to get. Not bad at all but it's hard to believe how dirty the same thing was only using the 7/8 bar.

8. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I did not try to duplicate the recipe for the low noise/recoil load, but the 3/4 oz load I am using does both. I am using Rem GC hulls, Cheddite primers, 16 gr of Promo, and 3/4 oz of shot, with the newly released CB-0175 pink 3/4 oz wad. The data that came with them lists a velocity of 120 fps, and a pressure of 6200 psi. Noise is low, and recoil almost non-existent. They smash birds at 16 yards, and are my new go-to load for practice. You get 21 boxes of shells out of a bag of shot, as opposed to 16 for the one oz load, and only 14 for the 1 1/8 oz load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

duplicating low recoil loads

extra lite powder with waa12sl