1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Recoil Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tpartain, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpartain

tpartain TS Member

Hello everyone. My family and I are relatively new to the trap shooting game. We are having a blast. I bought a gun for my son for Christmas, well that has turned into a complete family of four shooting every weekend. So with all of this shooting I got a Mec 9000 automate also. I don't know how getting a Remington 870 for my son for Christmas turned into 3 BT-99's and a Mec 9000 automate but what the hell let have some fun.

So this brings me to my question. My wife is 5'2" 115 lbs. Recoil is the factor here. I loaded up some 7/8 oz shells for her. Gun Club hulls Foicchi 616 primers and Clays powder at 16.5gn. This load is tolerable for her but she is asking for something softer shooting. Is there a powder out there that would fit the bill? Or do I just need to get a recoil system on her gun. BTW she is shooting a BT-99 30" barrel.

Thanks

Tony
    Bend Oregon

2. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

BT-99's, like most any gun, can be rough if the fit isn't there. Try taking her to a good local stock fitter and make sure the LOP isn't too long and the pitch is right for her -- that should help. Another thing to consider: look into a gas-operated semi such as a Remington 1100 or Beretta 391 -- perhaps the RL for Reduced Length for fit. Fit is so important for reducing felt recoil -- and for ability to hit the bird!

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Because she is shooting a break-open gun, you might try backing off the powder a bit more, until you start to get a dirty barrel from incomplete powder burn. If the gun fits her, try putting on a better recoil pad (Limbsaver, etc) Just getting used to shooting and developing those muscles will probably help, too. Mark

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

You can also look at 7/8oz loads using Win AA Lite powder.
    My first shot of doubles is 7/8oz, 1050fps, with AA Lite at 13grns.
    They break 16 yard birds if you do your part, although not
    quite as well as 1oz at 1145fps.
    Your load shows to be going out at 1200fps on Hodgdon's website.
    Alliant also makes Extra-Lite but they don't show loads below
    1150fps with that powder. But its another choice.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

You may want to keep an eye out for a used older model Remington 1100 semi auto trap gun. This is what I started my wife out with along with 1 oz. loads. IMO, the Remington 1100 is about the softest shooting trap gun available. As memory serves, the gas bleed-off and energy necessary to work the bolt results in about a 40% recoil reduction according to an old Remington add.

You could explore adding a recoil device to the BT99 but this may cost as much or more as a used 1100. I could be wrong but $400 - $500 should get you a used 1100 TB. 1100's are easy to clean and maintain. You could also add weight to the BT99 but this may make the BT99 too heavy for a small framed shooter to comfortably hold and swing.

As to your current situation, 14.5 grains of Alliant Extra Lite powder, a Remington 209P primer, TGT12 wad and 7/8 oz. of 8's would yield 1150 fps and 7200 PSI pressure in the Gun Club or STS hull. This is according to the Alliant Reloader's Guide.

If you stay with Clays and reduce the 16.5 grain load, you may reduce the pressure to an insufficient level for consistent ignition. My guess is that your current load is about 1200 fps. You could drop the powder to 15 or 15.5 grains and see how this works. I think that this would drop the velocity to 1100 and 1150 fps respectively but this is only a guess. You may want to review the clays data at the Hodgdon web site.

A thick undershirt and a well padded vest are also recommended.

I would not load up too many shells at first and listen for bloopers or weak reports.

Ed Ward

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tony,

Winchester AA Lite is just what you need. Have a look at the Hodgdon website for load recipes.

With that powder, you can match the Winchester Low-Noise/Low-Recoil factory shells with 26 grams (about 15/16 ounces) of shot at 980 fps.

This load will break singles targets without any problem.

Recoil is very, very light.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Go to the Hodgdon web site and look up the Winchester WAAlite powder. It's great for break open guns with light loads. I started loading for my grandkids and liked it so well I started using it. I don't think there's a lot of reason for a 1200 load at the 16 yard.

Ajax

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would look into the recoil device on the BT99 as 1100's tend to be very front heavy to handle for small framed shooters. Also, Federal top gun cases reduce felt recoil over tapered cases and these cases are everywhere for free or next to nothing. Load once and drop them. Bill

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

One item to be mindful of is that these 7/8 oz loads, both factory and reloads require much better pointing of the gun to break the target. I just shot a box of the AA low noise/low recoil the other day during 16 yd practice. I REALLY had to be "ON" the targets to break them. Yes the breaks were good, but I know several of my misses would not have been misses on a standard 1145 ft/sec light 8 load. This can lead to frustration for a new shooter.

I would recommend more shot going slower, rather than dropping the shot charge. Those suggesting a gas auto are also right on if she is recoil sensitive. I shot a DeVault Beretta 391 one day and it was like shooting a BB gun! I actually had a hard time because I felt disconnected from the gun. YMMV.

-Aaron

10. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

I understand that your wife is 5'2" & 115lb, but can she handle 1lb of weight added to the gun, somewhere between her hands? If so it's a easy fix for recoil. I have shot 900fps ammo, it's only redeeming quality, is that you can watch the shot column approach the target. Another option, I have a 20ga 1100 Sporting that I'm willing to sell. It will smoke em all day..

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put some lead in the butt stock. About 8 ounces should get rid of most of the recoil. HMB

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

As Dan comments, an 1100 Sporting in 20 gauge may be an answer.

I have an 11/87 NP Sporting in 12 gauge (not for sale) that I have let boy scouts, young girls and small adults shoot with 1 oz. factory loads at 1180 fps. All said that the liked it and most shot it well.

An 1100 Sporting weighs about a pound less than a standard 1100 as it has a smaller fore end and a 28" ported barrel. My 12 gauge is regulated for target loads only. I bought it to shoot sporting clays some years back but now just use it as a "loaner" at special shoots.

Ed Ward

13. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Try 1oz. at 1150 fps of #8 for 16 yard shooting, and yes to the Remington 1100 or the Beretta 391.

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If she is having recoil issues with a 7/8 oz. load, then I suspect that you need to have a serious look at gun fit. Semi-autos will help, but they don't all work well with really light loads and they still need to fit her properly for her to reach her potential as a shooter. Bill Malcolm

15. tpartain

tpartain TS Member

Gentleman
    Thanks to all of your for your replies. We are going to try the Win AA Lite powder first. It may be enough to fix the issue. If that doesn't work we will put a recoil system on the gun.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

American Select is a good powder for this type of load also. I've loaded many 1000fps 7/8oz loads with consistent results.

John C. Saubak

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Before you "put a recoil system on the gun", try increasing the pitch.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

John brings up a good point about pitch. Women, being, ummm, built differently where the recoil pad rests...need more pitch.

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tony, the above posts concerning pitch are a valid circumstance given the subject is a lady. You can play with it simply by adding washers (common hardware store variety) to top screw of recoil pad. Two would be a start, three should be sufficient and go up to four. Depending on where the sensation point of recoil is I also wonder if its simply not the pad. I suspect that it is original pad thus at the bottom it curves outward. This point of curvature can be painfull on woman as well as men. You might also look into an aftermarket pad or simply grind or cut this area off pad.

The pitch has more to do with feeling recoil in the face where latter shoulder/chest area. Although the pad could actually cause gun to rotate upward thus causing former.

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster has another good point. A good choice for a recoil pad (for women, AND for men with a robust chest) is a Kick-Eez Rocker Pad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best low recoil trap loads
cowboy load recipe
good light recoil trap ammo
low recoil trap load
low recoil trap loads

low velocity trap loads

lowest recoil trap loads

trap load velocity low