1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Recoil 20ga 3/4oz or 7/8oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Leb, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leb

Leb Member

All,
    I need some help. I am working on a low recoil load for my 8yr old. He shoots a Franchi Youth 20ga. The gun will eject the AA factory low recoil loads 7/8oz shot @ 980fps. I am trying to duplicate that in either 3/4 oz or 7/8oz loads. I have loaded the following in 3/4oz and none will eject:

12.2 thru 14gr - International, 1075cb wad, remington hull, 209P primer - nothing in this powder range will eject. Going to try 14.7 gr max. next. If that doesn't work, thinking about going to 7/8oz and starting again.
    Anyone know what powder is used in the low recoil AA factory loads?
    Any help is appreciated!!
    Joe

2. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Here is an article from the Skeet Shooting Review, not sure what powder is used in the Win 7/8th's Low Recoil load. You may try some of these. I used 3/4 ounce loads for awhile but I am back to 7/8's. I like the break of the 7/8's better. JMO.

-Wes

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Green Dot in my 3/4 0z 20 gauge loads. I would start at about 12 grains with your components and see if that works. Is the Franchi a recoil operated semi? It may be hard to get a low recoil load to cycle it. You may either need to increase payload or velocity, either of which increases recoil, and starts to defeat the purpose of what you are trying to do.

4. Leb

Leb Member

Yes the Franchi is recoil operated. Is there any adjustments on a Franchi for light vs. heavy loads?

5. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Thats what I found as well. If 7/8's are to much recoil you may try a different recoil pad. In my 3200 w/ subgauge tubes (about 9.5 lbs), 13gr of Int'l (listed in the Lymens 5th edition). Feels like nothing.

6. Leb

Leb Member

It is a Franchi AL 48 Youth.

7. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

According to the recoil calculator I was just using a 1200fps 3/4 ounce load should have 1 lb more free recoil than the Win light load. What velocities were you reloading at?

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Here is the owner's manual for a AL48 (see link above) It shows a friction ring that can be reversed for light or heavy loads. I would check that it is set correctly and lube it well. Mark

9. Leb

Leb Member

should have been around 1100-1200fps.

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have been useing 14gr. of Green Dot in the 3/4 oz. load for starting youth shooters [and shooting skeet with myself] for some time now.
    This seems to operate most auto's.
    This load is in the Alliant manual for Rem. and Win. cases.

11. build4u

build4u Member

I worked up a load for two of my childrens 391 youth 20 gauges with the 3/4 oz Claybuster wad,8.5 shot. Remington 209, and International Clays. It was the data for 1150 I think 13.3. I kept turning up the powder as well and they would not eject. The 391 has the same recoil spring as the 12 ga. version. I started clipping coils off the recoil spring a few at a time. I ended up 13 coils off leaving like 63. Easy and cheap to replace the spring if needed for heavier loads. They throw the hulls five feet and are very pleasent to shoot now. I watched kids in our clubs youth program get hammered by the youth 20s and regular AA 7/8 target loads were terrible for my kids.

12. Leb

Leb Member

Thanks for all the advice!! Do you think i could clip a coil off of the Franchi spring or would that cause more problems?

13. build4u

build4u Member

I looked up the 48Al schematics on line and the recoil spring appears to be the same set up as Beretta and others. You may already know but to be sure I am talking about the recoil spring in the tube that holds the stock on. In the Beretta part numbers the 12 and 20 gauge springs are the same. Coles is supposed to be having a reduced power spring made for the Berretas 20s. I would not hesitate to clip the spring. I took the tools needed to the range with me when I did the two for my children. When I started with mine they would not eject the hull all the way out. You will probably find one coil will do nothing. Feel how hard it is to pull the bolt back and clip 4 or 5 coils see if you can feel the differance and try it. At ten coils they started ejecting reliably however they would not always pick up the next round. At 13 coils they ejected about 5 feet and picked up the second round every time. They have never missed a beat and are a treat to shoot now, before they were brutal with shells that would make them cycle. When you clip the spring if your cutters leave a burr clean it up with a file a touch.

14. build4u

build4u Member

Leb here is a link to the post I did here a year ago when I worked on the guns. It talks about drilling the gas ports as well which you will not be dealing with. http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=286835&Messages=1 also if you go on Shotgun World in the youth portion you will find a similar post under youth 391 light load cycling.

15. Leb

Leb Member

Sir,
    Thank you for the advice. I had never thought of this approach. I appreciate all of your help!!

16. Leb

Leb Member

Sir,
    Thank you for the advice. I had never thought of this approach. I appreciate all of your help!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.