1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

low, low brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

When I used to hunt, there were "high" brass shells and "low" brass shells. Currently, what I shoot would be classified as "low" brass shells. I've recently received a quantity of AA hulls that have "ultra-low" brass, about 1/8 inch high, maybe more. The hulls are pretty old but appear very re-loadable. Are these manufacturing glitches or was brass once this low? I can try and post a picture if anyone feels it's really necessary.

capvan

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go ahead and load them. No glitch, metallic case head is more for appeal than function on shotshells.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The old Activ brand shells had no brass at all.

High brass or low brass is a marketing scheme.

The only place where brass (or steel) might actually be better (than no brass) is for the narrow extraction claws on pump or semi-auto guns.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought, shot and reloaded thousands of those 1oz AA's....zero problems....

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I haven't seen those low-low brass AA hulls in at least the last ten years but they used to be my favorites. They go through the loader just great and they held up very well. I use to shoot them through an 1187 and never had an extraction problem or a head separation.

Enjoy them.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Birddog1964, yes that is exactly what I've got a bunch of. Thanks for all the information. Yes, they certainly do reload very nicely.

capvan

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I remember the old 1 oz AA hulls. Have not seen any for a while. The height of the brass was important with the older paper cases but is not important with newer plastic hulls. If you are reloading older paper cases and using a rolled crimp, I suggest high brass hulls for your duck loads.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.